
The California railway station was opened in November 1888 by the E.F. Leopoldina railway company and was located on the south bank of the Imboassica River in the Município Barra de S. João, 170 km northeast of the capital Rio de Janeiro. The area around the station belonged to the newly founded Município Casimiro de Abreu from March 1938 and has been in the Município Rio das Ostras since April 1992. The line belonged to Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. (estacoesferroviarias.com.br) from 1975 until its closure the following year. Today the tracks are still there, the station building has already been demolished.


As Reinhold Koester writes in Carimbologia VIII, there was a post office at the station from January 1889. The oldest postmark is CRJ-0250a (Coll. Fuad Ferreira Fo.):

Koester (op. cit.) also shows us the seal cancel CRJ-0250b, without further details:


Der Bahnhof California wurde im November 1888 von der Eisenbahngesellschaft E.F. Leopoldina eröffnet und lag am Südufer des Flusses Imboassica im Município Barra de S. João, 170 km nordöstlich der Hauptstadt Rio de Janeiro. Das Gebiet um den Bahnhof gehörte ab März 1938 zum neu gegründeten Município Casimiro de Abreu und liegt seit April 1992 im Município Rio das Ostras. Die Strecke gehörte von 1975 bis zu ihrer Stilllegung im folgenden Jahr der Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. (estacoesferroviarias.com.br). Heute sind die Gleise noch vorhanden, das Bahnhofsgebäude wurde bereits abgerissen.


Wie Reinhold Koester in Carimbologia VIII schreibt, gab es ab Januar 1889 ein Postamt auf dem Bahnhof. Der älteste Poststempel ist CRJ-0250a (Samml. Fuad Ferreira Fo.):

Koester (op. cit.) zeigt uns auch den Siegelstempel CRJ-0250b, ohne weitere Details:
