Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Alegre, Espirito Santo (AES-0005)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

The Freguesia of N. Sra. da Conceição do Alegre was founded in July 1858 in the Município of Cachoeiro do Itapemirim and was located on the river Alegre, a tributary of the Itapemirim, 180 km southwest of the state capital Vitória. The place rose to the Vila of N. Sra. da Penha do Alegre in April 1884.

As Paulo Novaes writes in agenciaspostais.com.br, the local post office was created in November 1875.  This is confirmed by the Directory of Imperial Post Offices (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885). The oldest postmark is AES-0005a (image: Filatélica Brasília), found on a D. Pedro issue from 1876:

AES-0005a (Fil. Brasilia) 1876ff

It was followed by AES-0005b (image from the internet): a double circle with the inscription ALEGRE above and an ornament in lozenge below. Dates in the centre come from the period 1887-1893.

Provincia do Espirito Santo, 1873

Die Freguesia von N. Sra. da Conceição do Alegre wurde im Juli 1858 im Município von Cachoeiro do Itapemirim gegründet und lag am Fluss Alegre, einem Zufluss des Itapemirim, 180 km südwestlich der Landeshauptstadt Vitória entfernt. Der Ort stieg im April 1884 zur Vila von N. Sra. da Penha do Alegre auf.

Wie Paulo Novaes in agenciaspostais.com.br schreibt, wurde das örtliche Postamt im November 1875 ins Leben gerufen.  Das bestätigt das Verzeichnis der kaiserlichen Postämter (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885). Der älteste Poststempel ist AES-0005a (Abb. Filatélica Brasília), gefunden auf einer D.-Pedro-Ausgabe von 1876:

AES-0005a (Fil. Brasilia) 1876ff

Ihm folgte AES-0005b (Abb. aus dem Internet): ein Doppelkreis mit der Inschrift ALEGRE oben und einem Ornament in Raute unten. Die Daten in der Mitte entstammen dem Zeitraum 1887-1893.

Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Alegrete, Rio Grande do Sul (ARS-0005)

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia de São Pedro do Sul, 1847

Around 1812, the settlement called Capela Queimada (Burnt Chapel) is said to have been established, located on the left bank of the river Ibirapuitã, 500 km west of the later provincial capital of Porto Alegre. In January 1817, it became the chapel of N. Sra. da Conceição Aparecida de Alegrete, which belonged to the Vila of São Borja. Alegrete has been a vila since October 1831 and a town since January 1857.

The local post office was established twice. First in October 1831, as Nova Monteiro writes in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999). Then again in 1848, after the end of the Farroupilha Revolution (1835-1845). All the postmarks known so far are from the second period of operation. ARS-0005b was used from about 1866 until after 1876 and was already made known by Paulo Ayres in Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) under no. 1194:

ARS-0005b (P.A. 1194)

In the period after that came at least three Diligencia cancels, which have already been presented:

URS-0470b (EB) 1866ff-1877ff
URS-0470c (EB) 1866ff-1877ff
URS-0470d (SB) 1877ff-1883ff

Between ca. 1877 and 1888 we have the French type ARS-0005c (image from the internet): a double circle with the inscription ALEGRETE above and the star between brackets below. Around this time ARS-0005d must also have been used, which we know from P. Ayres (op. cit. p.145):

ARS-0005d (P.A. p. 145)

At the end of the imperial period also came ARS-0005e (image from the internet): a double circle with the inscription ALEGRETE at the top. One known copy, dated 1890 in the centre.

In addition, there are many handwritten cancellations in the period from about 1866 onwards, a sure indication that the official postmark was a long time coming.

1866ff (AD)
1866ff (FF)
John Arrowsmith: Provincia do Rio Grande, 1844

Um 1812 soll die Siedlung namens Capela Queimada (Verbrannte Kapelle) entstanden sein, die am linken Ufer des Flusses Ibirapuitã lag, 500 km westlich der späteren Provinzhauptstadt Porto Alegre entfernt. Im Januar 1817 wurde daraus die Kapelle von N. Sra. da Conceição Aparecida de Alegrete, die zur Vila von São Borja gehörte. Seit Oktober 1831 ist Alegrete eine Vila und seit Januar 1857 eine Stadt.

Das örtliche Postamt wurde zweimal errichtet. Erstmals im Oktober 1831, wie Nova Monteiro in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) schreibt. Dann wieder 1848, nach dem Ende der Farroupilha-Revolution (1835-1845). Alle bisher bekannten Poststempel kommen aus der zweiten Betriebsperiode. ARS-0005b war im Umlauf von ca. 1866 bis nach 1876 und wurde bereits durch Paulo Ayres in Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) unter Nr. 1194 bekannt gemacht:

ARS-0005b (P.A. 1194)

In der Zeit danach kamen mindestens drei Diligencia-Stempel, die bereits vorgestellt wurden:

URS-0470b (EB) 1866ff-1877ff
URS-0470c (EB) 1866ff-1877ff
URS-0470d (EB) 1877ff-1883ff

Zwischen ca. 1877 und 1888 haben wir den Französischen Typus ARS-0005c (Abb. aus dem Internet): ein Doppelkreis mit der Inschrift ALEGRETE oben und dem Stern zwischen Klammern unten. Um diese Zeit muss auch ARS-0005d verwendet worden sein, den wir von P. Ayres (op. cit. S.145) kennen:

ARS-0005d (P.A. p. 145)

Am Ende der Kaiserzeit kam auch ARS-0005e (Abb. aus dem Internet): ein Doppelkreis mit der Inschrift ALEGRETE oben. Ein Exemplar bekannt, datiert 1890 in der Mitte.

Darüber hinaus sind viele handschriftliche Entwertungen in der Zeit ab ca. 1866 zu sehen, ein sicheres Indiz dafür, dass der offizielle Poststempel auf sich warten ließ.

1866ff (AD)
1866ff (FF)

Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Alegre, Bahia (ABA-0050)

Mappa do Estado da Bahia, 1913

Other names: São João dos Geraes (SBA-0050), Coribe (1938)

This locality was an Arraial (settlement) in the municipality of Carinhanha, situated more than 900 km west of the provincial capital Salvador da Bahia. In August 1880 it rose to a Freguesia and in August 1923, to a Villa called do Rio Alegre, but eight years later it was downgraded to the district of Santa Maria da Vitória. In 1938, the new name Coribe was added, and since August 1958 Coribe has been a municipality. The name is said to mean Merry River (Rio Alegre) in the Tupi-Guarani language.

The local post office was established in 1883, as can be read in the provincial president’s report for the following year:

Relatório do Presidente da Provincia, 1884

So far, no imperial postmark has appeared. For cancels with S. João dos Geraes, see SBA-0050.

Almanak Laemmert, 1913

Andere Namen: São João dos Geraes (SBA-0050), Coribe (1938)

São João dos Geraes war ein Arraial (Weiler) im Município von Carinhanha, der über 900 km westlich der Provinzhauptstadt Salvador da Bahia entfernt lag. Im August 1880 stieg er zur Freguesia und im August 1923 zur Vila do Rio Alegre auf, aber acht Jahre später wurde der Ort als Distrikt von Santa Maria da Vitória rückgestuft. 1938 kam der neue Name Coribe dazu, und seit August 1958 ist Coribe ein Município. Der Name soll in der Tupi-Guarani-Sprache Fröhlicher Fluss (Rio Alegre) bedeuten.

Das örtliche Postamt entstand 1883, wie im Bericht des Provinzpräsidenten fürs folgende Jahr zu lesen ist:

Relatório do Presidente da Provincia, 1884

Bisher wurde kein Poststempel der Kaiserzeit gesichtet. Für Stempel mit S. João dos Geraes siehe SBA-0050.

Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Aldeia Velha, Espirito Santo (AES-0003)

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia do Espirito Santo, 1850

Other names: Santa Cruz, Aracruz (1943)

The former Freguesia of Aldeia Velha (= Old Village) was established in December 1837 in the municipality of Nova Almeida, situated 75 km north of the province capital Vitoria. In April 1848 it ascended to a villa in own municipality, named Santa Cruz, which became a town in March 1891. In December 1943 the toponym was changed to the actual Aracruz.

According to Nova Monteiro (Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio, in Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999), the local post office was created in October 1831. This would mean there is a possible cancel featuring Aldeia Velha, which apparently has yet never appeared. Since Paulo Novaes (agenciaspostais.com.br) lists this agency with creation date “ca. 1856”, it may have been closed in the meantime. For cancels featuring Santa Cruz see SES-0165.

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Andere Namen: Santa Cruz, Aracruz (1943)

Die alte Freguesia von Aldeia Velha (= Altes Dorf) entstand im Dezember 1837 im Município von Nova Almeida und lag 75 km nördlich der Provinzhauptstadt Vitoria. Im April 1848 wurde sie zu einer eigenständigen Villa unter dem Namen Santa Cruz, die im März 1891 zur Stadt wurde. Im Dezember 1943 wechselte der Ortsnamen zum heutigen Aracruz.

Laut Nova Monteiro (Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio, in Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) entstand das örtliche Postamt im Oktober 1831. Dadurch wäre die Existenz eines Stempels mit Aldeia Velha möglich, der allerdings bisher nicht aufgetaucht ist. Da Paulo Novaes (agenciaspostais.com.br) diese Agentur mit Entstehungsjahr “ca. 1856” auflistet, könnte sie zwischendurch mal geschlossen gewesen sein. Für Poststempel mit Santa Cruz siehe SES-0165.

Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Airuoca (AMG-3760) – Aiuruoca (AMG-3335) – Ayuruoca, Minas Gerais (AMG-0165)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

The Freguesia of N. Sra. da Conceição de Ayuruoca was founded in February 1724 at the Vila of Baependi and was located on the west bank of the river Aiuruoca, over 270 km from the future provincial capital Ouro Preto. The place name has its origin in the Tupi-guarani language and means house of the purple parrot. Aiuruoca (as it is written today) became a vila in August 1834 and a town in July 1868.

Three dates of origin for the local post office have been found. First in June 1833, as Nova Monteiro writes in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999). Then in 1838, as listed in the Directory of Imperial Post Offices (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885). And lastly in July 1847, as listed in the postal report (Relatório Postal) for the year 1887.

Three postmarks were also found for the 19th century. The oldest of them is AMG-3760a, which occurs in sepia, was probably in circulation from the beginning until at least 1843 and was already presented in the RHM catalogue under P-MG-01:

AMG-3760a (RHM P-MG-01)

It was followed by AMG-3335a, listed in Paulo Ayres’ Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) under no. 1555 and used on D. Pedro issues from 1866:

AMG-3335a (P.A. 1555)

The third postmark is AMG-0165a (image from the internet): A double circle with the inscription AYURUOCA at the top. The dates in the middle have so far been found for the period 1889-1896.

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia de Minas Geraes, 1849

Die Freguesia von N. Sra. da Conceição de Ayuruoca wurde im Februar 1724 bei der Vila von Baependi gegründet und lag am Westufer des Flusses Aiuruoca, über 270 km der späteren Provinzhauptstadt Ouro Preto entfernt. Der Ortsname hat seinen Ursprung in der Tupi-guarani-Sprache und bedeutet Haus des violetten Papageis. Aiuruoca (wie man heute schreibt) wurde im August 1834 zur Vila und im Juli 1868 zur Stadt erhoben.

Drei Entstehungstermine fürs örtliche Postamt wurden gefunden. Erstmals im Juni 1833, wie Nova Monteiro in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) schreibt. Dann 1838, wie im Verzeichnis der kaiserlichen Postämter (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) aufgelistet wurde. Und zuletzt im Juli 1847, wie im Postbericht (Relatório Postal) fürs Jahr 1887 zu lesen ist.

Auch drei Poststempel wurden fürs 19. Jahrhundert gefunden. Der älteste davon ist AMG-3760a, der in Sepia vorkommt, wohl vom Anfang an bis mindestens 1843 im Umlauf war und bereits im RHM-Katalog unter P-MG-01 vorgestellt wurde:

AMG-3760a (RHM P-MG-01)

Ihm folgte AMG-3335a, der im Paulo Ayres’ Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) unter Nr. 1555 aufgelistet wurde und auf D. Pedro-Ausgaben von 1866 zu finden ist:

AMG-3335a (P.A. 1555)

Der dritte Poststempel ist AMG-0165a (Abb. aus dem Internet): Ein Doppelkreis mit der Inschrift AYURUOCA oben. Die Daten in der Mitte wurden bisher für den Zeitraum 1889-1896 gefunden.

Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Aldeia de São Pedro, Rio de Janeiro (ASP-0020)

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia do Rio de Janeiro, 1850

Other names: São Pedro da Aldeia (see also SRJ-0020), Sapiatiba

The history of this settlement, which is very old by Brazilian standards, began as early as May 1617, when the Aldeia de São Pedro was founded on the northeastern shore of Lake Araruama near Cabo Frio, about 140 east of the future capital Rio de Janeiro. In December 1795, it became a freguesia, which rose to become a villa called Sapiatiba in September 1890. However, the Tupi word meaning rich in clay did not find favour, and a good two years later the old place name returned. São Pedro da Aldeia has been a town since December 1929.

There are two dates for the origin of the local post office. The Imperial Mail Register (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio) of 1885 gives the year 1820 for it, while Nova Monteiro (Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio, in Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) lists the agency from June 1829.

Both postmarks of the imperial period found so far bear the place name Aldeia de S. Pedro and were already rpesented under SRJ-0020. They are also presented here. ARJ-0020a/SRJ-0200a also occurs in blue, was in use from about 1829 to 1884 and was already presented by Paulo Ayres (Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) under no. 1193:

ARJ-0020a/SRJ-0200a (P. A. 1193)

ARJ-0020b/SRJ-0200b (agenciaspostais.com.br) is a simple double circle with the inscription A. DE S. PEDRO at the top. The only known copy is dated 1884 in the centre.

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Andere Namen: Aldeia de São Pedro, Sapiatiba

Die Geschichte dieser für brasilianische Verhältnisse sehr alten Siedlung fing bereits im Mai 1617 an, als die Aldeia de São Pedro am Nordostufer des Araruama-Sees bei Cabo Frio gegründet wurde, ca. 140 östlich der künftigen Hauptstadt Rio de Janeiro entfernt. Im Dezember 1795 wurde daraus eine Freguesia, die im September 1890 zu einer Villa namens Sapiatiba aufstieg. Das Tupi-Wort, das reich an Lehm bedeutet, fand jedoch kein Gefallen, und gut zwei Jahre später kam der alte Ortsname zurück. Seit Dezember 1929 ist São Pedro da Aldeia eine Stadt.

Hier gibt es zwei Jahresangaben für die Entstehung des örtlichen Postamts. Das Verzeichnis der kaiserlichen Postämter (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio) von 1885 nennt dafür das Jahr 1820, während Nova Monteiro (Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio, in Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) die Agentur ab dem Juni 1829 auflistet.

Beide bisher gefundenen Poststempel der Kaiserzeit tragen den Ortsnamen Aldeia de S. Pedro und wurden bereits unter São Pedro da Aldeia (SRJ-0020) besprochen. Sie werden hier nochmals vorgestellt. ARJ-0020a/SRJ-0200akommt auch in blau vor, war von ca. 1829 bis 1884 in Gebrauch und wurde bereits durch Paulo Ayres(Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) unter Nr. 1193 bekannt gemacht:

ARJ-0020a/SRJ-0200a (P. A. 1193)

ARJ-0020b/SRJ-0200b (agenciaspostais.com.br) ist ein einfacher Doppelkreis mit der Inschrift A. DE S. PEDRO oben. Das einzige Exemplar ist 1884 in der Mitte datiert.

Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Aldeia da Pedra, Rio de Janeiro (ARJ-0015)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Other names: São José de Leonissa (SRJ-1425), Itaocara (1891)

See also Pedra (R. Koester: Carimbologia XXX)

This village was from March 1850 the district of S. José de Leonissa da Aldeia da Pedra, located on the south bank of the river Paraíba do Sul in the municipality of S. Fidélis, about 260 km northwest of the imperial capital Rio de Janeiro. In October 1890, it became the Villa of Itaocara, since then in own municipality. The word Itaocara comes from the Tupi language and means village of stones (Aldeia da Pedra).

According to Nova Monteiro (Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio, in Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999), the local post office was created in November 1833 under the name Aldeia da Pedra. The imperial postmark ARJ-0015a also occurs in blue and was already presented by Paulo Ayres in Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) under no. 1192:

ARJ-0015a (P.A. 1192) 1843-1869

The toponym changed to S. José de Leonissa around 1866. For cancels under this name see SRJ-1425.

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia do Rio de Janeiro, 1850

Andere Namen: São José de Leonissa (SRJ-1425), Itaocara (1891)

Siehe auch Pedra (R. Koester: Carimbologia XXX)

Diese Ortschaft war ab März 1850 der Distrikt von S. José de Leonissa da Aldeia da Pedra, am Südufer des Flusses Paraíba do Sul im Município von S. Fidélis gelegen, ca. 260 km nordwestlich der kaiserlichen Hauptstadt Rio de Janeiro entfernt. Im Oktober 1890 stieg sie zur Villa von Itaocara, seitdem auch ein eigener Município. Das Wort Itaocarastammt aus der Tupi-Sprache und bedeutet Dorf der Steine (Aldeia da Pedra).

Laut Nova Monteiro (Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio, in Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) wurde das örtliche Postamt im November 1833 unter dem Namen Aldeia da Pedra gegründet. Der kaiserliche Poststempel ARJ-0015a kommt auch in blau vor und wurde bereits durch Paulo Ayres in Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) unter Nr. 1192 vorgestellt:

ARJ-0015a (P.A. 1192) 1843-1869

Der Namenswechsel zu S. José de Leonissa erfolgte ca. 1866. Für Stempel unter diesem Namen siehe SRJ-1425.

Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Aldeia, Bahia (ABA-0045)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Another name: Aratuhype (1890)

The Freguesia of Sant’Anna da Aldeia was founded in June 1840 in the Municipio of Nazareth, located on the north bank of the river Aratuípe, more than 80 km west of the provincial capital Salvador da Bahia. The place was elevated to the status of Vila of Aratuhype in February 1890 and to a town in June 1891. However, in December 1943, it was downgraded to the district of Nazaré (as it is now written), but immediately in June 1944, it regained the status of a Município, this time written Aratuípe. The term from the Tupi-Guarani language means river of the aratus. Aratu is a general term for various crab species commonly found in the region, such as Aratus pisonii:

Aratus pisonii (Photo: Tanaré Sevi, CC-BY-SA 3.0)

There are two dates of origin for the local post office. The first was in July 1882, according to the Rio press:

Gazeta de Noticias/RJ, 03.08.1882

The same newspaper reported a reopening of the post office in August 1885:

Gazeta de Noticias/RJ, 15.08.1885

A postmark was found for the Empire: ABA-0045a (image from the internet) is a plain double circle with the inscription ALDEIA at the top, though there might be another ornament at the bottom. The only specimen so far has a date of 1886 in the centre.

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia da Bahia, 1848

Anderer Name: Aratuhype (1890)

Die Freguesia von Sant’Anna da Aldeia wurde im Juni 1840 im Municipio von Nazareth gegründet und lag am Nordufer des Flusses Aratuípe, über 80 km westlich der Provinzhauptstadt Salvador da Bahia entfernt. Der Ort wurde im Februar 1890 zur Vila von Aratuhype und im Juni 1891 zur Stadt erhoben. Allerdings kam im Dezember 1943 eine Herabstufung zum Distrikt von Nazaré (wie man inzwischen schreibt), doch gleich im Juni 1944 wurde wieder der Status eines Município erreicht, diesmal Aratuípe geschrieben. Der Begriff aus der Tupi-Guarani-Sprache bedeutet Fluss der Aratus. Aratu ist ein Allgemeinbegriff für diverse Krebssorte, die in der Region häufig zu finden sind, wie z.B. Aratus pisonii:

Aratus pisonii (Foto: Tanaré Sevi, CC-BY-SA 3.0)

Es sind zwei Entstehungstermine fürs örtliche Postamt überliefert. Erstmals im Juli 1882, wie aus der Presse von Rio hervorgeht:

Gazeta de Noticias/RJ, 03.08.1882

Die gleiche Zeitung meldete im August 1885 eine Wiedereröffnung des Postamts:

Gazeta de Noticias/RJ, 15.08.1885

Ein Poststempel wurde fürs Kaiserreich gefunden: ABA-0045a (Abb. aus dem Internet) ist ein schlichter Doppelkreis mit der Inschrift ALDEIA oben, wobei unten evtl. ein weiters Ornament vorhanden wäre. Das bisher einzige Exemplar hat ein Datum von 1886 in der Mitte.

Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Alcobaça, Bahia (ABA-0040)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Another name: Itanhem

The settlement of Alcobaça was founded around 1750 by Portuguese, who supposedly have come from the town of the same name in Portugal, and was located on the north bank of the mouth of the river Itanhem, over 800 km south of the later provincial capital of Salvador da Bahia. The place became a vila in March 1755 and a town in July 1896.

The local post office is said to have been established by a decree of February 1859, as Nova Monteiro writes in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999). A postmark was found for the 19th century, unfortunately not the oldest. ABA-0040b (illustration from the internet) is a plain double circle with the inscription ALCOBAÇA at the top. The dates in the middle have so far been found for the period 1890-1893.

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia da Bahia, 1848

Anderer Name: Itanhem

Die Siedlung Alcobaça wurde um 1750 durch Portugieser gegründet, die angeblich aus der gleichnamigen Stadt in Portugal stammen, und lag am Nordufer der Mündung des Flusses Itanhem, über 800 km südlich der späteren Provinzhauptstadt Salvador da Bahia entfernt. Der Ort wurde im März 1755 eine Vila und im Juli 1896 eine Stadt.

Das örtliche Postamt soll durch einen Erlass vom Februar 1859 entstanden sein, wie Nova Monteiro in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) schreibt. Ein Poststempel wurde fürs 19. Jahrhundert gefunden, leider nicht der älteste. ABA-0040b (Abb. aus dem Internet) ist ein schlichter Doppelkreis mit der Inschrift ALCOBAÇA oben. Die Daten in der Mitte wurden bisher für den Zeitraum 1890-1893 gefunden.

Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Alcantara, Maranhão (AMA-0005)

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia do Maranhão, 1850

Another name: Tapuitapera

The now sleepy town of Alcantara is at least 400 years old. The settlement existed as early as 1612, was called Tapuitapera (Indian home in Tupi-guarani) and was located about 40 km air-line northwest of the later provincial capital São Luís do Maranhão.  At that time, it was colonised by the French, but they were driven out by the Portuguese in about 1617. In March 1624, Tapuitapera even became the capital of the short-lived Capitania of Cumã. After the end of the Dutch occupation (1641-1644), the town was assigned to the Capitania of Maranhão and in December 1648 it became the Vila of Alcantara. Alcantara has been a town since July 1836.

The local post office was created in November 1829, as Nova Monteiro writes in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999). Two postmarks have been found so far for the 19th century. AMA-0005a is already known as no. 382 in  Cícero Antonio Almeida’s Carimbos Postais – século XIX (Rio de Janeiro, 1989) and was probably used in pre-philatelic times, until at least 1845:

AMA-0005a (MPT 382)

It was followed by AMA-0005b, used from about 1850 to at least 1876 and already presented by Paulo Ayres in Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) with no. 1191:

AMA-0005b (P.A. 1191)
Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Anderer Name: Tapuitapera

Das heute verschlafene Städtchen Alcantara ist mindestens 400 Jahre alt. Die Siedlung existierte bereits 1612, hieß Tapuitapera (Indianerheimat in Tupi-guarani) und lag ca. 40 km Lufllinie nordwestlich der späteren Provinzhauptstadt São Luís do Maranhão.  Damals wurde sie von Franzosen kolonisiert, die aber ca. 1617 von den Portugiesen vertrieben wurden. Im März 1624 wurde Tapuitapera sogar die Hauptstadt der kurzlebigen Capitania von Cumã. Nach dem Ende der holländischen Besatzung (1641-1644) wurde der Ort der Capitania von Maranhão zugeordnet und im Dezember 1648 wurde daraus die Vila von Alcantara. Seit Juli 1836 ist Alcantara eine Stadt.

Das örtliche Postamt entstand im November 1829, wie Nova Monteiro im Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) schreibt. Zwei Poststempel wurden bisher für das 19. Jahrhundert gefunden. AMA-0005a kennen wir bereits als Nr. 382 im Cícero Antonio Almeidas Carimbos Postais – século XIX (Rio de Janeiro, 1989) und ist vermutlich aus vorphilatelistischen Zeiten. Verwendet mindestens bis 1845:

AMA-0005a (MPT 382)

Ihm folgte AMA-0005b, der von ca. 1850 bis mindestens 1876 im Umlauf war und bereits durch Paulo Ayres in Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) mit Nr. 1191 bereits vorgestellt wurde:

AMA-0005b (P.A. 1191)