Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Araranguá, Santa Catarina (ASC-0005)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

The Freguesia of N. Sra. da Mãe dos Homens de Araranguá was founded in May 1848 and was located on the south bank of the Araranguá River near Laguna, 220 km south of the provincial capital Desterro (today: Florianópolis). In March 1864, the place name changed to Campinas, but when it became a vila in April 1880, the old name Araranguá returned.

As can be read in the Directory of Imperial Post Offices (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885), there was a post office there from 1877, which means there may have been postmarks still under Campinas. However, no imperial postmark has yet been seen from this locality.

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia de Santa Catharina, 1848

Die Freguesia von N. Sra. da Mãe dos Homens de Araranguá wurde im Mai 1848 gegründet und lag am Südufer des Flusses Araranguá bei Laguna, 220 km südlich der Provinzhauptstadt Desterro (heute: Florianópolis) entfernt. Im März 1864 wechselte der Ortsnamen zu Campinas, aber bei dem Aufstieg zur Vila im April 1880 kehrte der alte Name Araranguá zurück.

Wie im Verzeichnis der kaiserlichen Postämter (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) zu lesen ist, gab es dort ein Postamt ab 1877. Das bedeutet, möglicherweise gab es Poststempel noch unter Campinas. Allerdings wurde bisher kein kaiserlicher Poststempel aus dieser Ortschaft gesehen.

Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Araponga, Minas Gerais (AMG-0110)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Other names: São Miguel e Almas dos Arrepiados, São Miguel do Araponga

Since November 1826, this village was a district of Santa Rita do Turvo (today: Viçosa), which was called the São Miguel e Almas dos Arripiados (= St. Michael and Souls of the Feared) and was located about 170 km east of the provincial capital Ouro Preto. Since the name sounded very bizarre even for Brazilian conditions, it was changed to S. Miguel do Araponga in July 1886. Araponga is the name of three different neo-tropical bellbirds of the Family Cotingidae of South America:

Procnias Nudicollis (Photo: Ben Taverner, CC BY 2.0)

In December 1938, the place’s name was simplified to Araponga, and in December 1962 it became a municipality.

As Paula Sobrinho reports in Historia Postal de Minas Gerais (Belo Horizonte, 1997), there has been a post office there since September 1880. The first postmark with the new place name is AMG-0110a (Coll. J.L. Fevereiro): a double circle with the inscriptions ARAPONGA above and (MINAS) below. The only specimen so far bears a date from 1889 in the centre. For stamps with earlier place names, see São Miguel de Arripiados (SMG-2518).

Estado de Minas Geraes, 1910

Andere Namen: São Miguel e Almas dos Arrepiados, São Miguel do Araponga

Diese Ortschaft war seit November 1826 ein Distrikt von Santa Rita do Turvo (heute: Viçosa), der São Miguel e Almas dos Arripiados (= Skt. Michael und Seelen der Gefürchteten) hieß und ca. 170 km östlich der Provinzhauptstadt Ouro Preto lag. Da der Name sogar für brasilianische Verhältnisse sehr skurril klang, wurde er im Juli 1886 zu S. Miguel do Araponga geändert. Araponga ist der Name von drei verschiedenen Glockenvögeln Sudamerikas der Familie Cotingidae, Gattung Procnias:

Procnias Nudicollis (Foto: Ben Taverner, CC BY 2.0)

Im Dezember 1938 wurde der Ortsname zu Araponga vereinfacht, und im Dezember 1962 stieg der Ort zum Município auf.

Wie Paula Sobrinho in História Postal de Minas Gerais (Belo Horizonte, 1997) berichtet, gab es dort ein Postamt seit September 1880. Der erste Poststempel mit dem neuen Ortsnamen ist AMG-0110a (Samml. J.L. Fevereiro): ein Doppelkreis mit den Inschriften ARAPONGA oben und (MINAS) unten. Das bisher einzige Exemplar trägt ein Datum aus 1889 in der Mitte. Für Stempel mit früheren Ortsnamen siehe São Miguel de Arripiados (SMG-2518).

Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Aramary (train station/Bahnhof), Bahia (ABA-0075)

Estado da Bahia, 1913

Another name: Graciliano Freitas (ca. 1940-ca. 1950)

Aramary station was inaugurated in November 1880 by the E.F. da Bahia ao Rio São Francisco railway company and was located on the west bank of the Catu River in the Município of Alagoinhas, 130 km north of the provincial capital Salvador. The railway line changed hands in 1896 to the E..F. do São Francisco, in 1911 to the Chemins de Fer Fédéraux de l’Est Brésilien, in 1935 to the V.F.F. Leste Brasileiro and from 1975 until the closure of the line in 1996 it belonged to Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. (estacoesferroviarias.com.br). Between about 1940 and 1950, the station was called Graciliano de Freitas, in memory of a politician who was mayor of Alagoinhas, senator and also postal administrator in Bahia. Today, the rails are still there and the station building is used by the city council.

1905 (in estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

A settlement grew up around the station, which initially belonged to the Freguesia of Aramary, and since September 1961 Aramari – as it is written today – has been an independent Município.

Two creation dates for the station post office were found. The Rio press provided the first one in April 1881:

Gazeta de Noticias/RJ, 21.04.1881

On the other hand, the Directory of Imperial Post Offices (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) writes the year 1882, which could be the date when the post office started operating. So far, no postmark from this station has been seen in the imperial period.

IBGE, 1898

Anderer Name: Graciliano Freitas (ca. 1940-ca. 1950)

Der Bahnhof Aramary wurde im November 1880 durch die E.F. da Bahia ao Rio São Francisco Bahngesellschaft eingeweiht und lag am Westufer des Flusses Catu im Município von Alagoinhas, 130 km nördlich der Provinzhauptstadt Salvador. Die Bahnlinie wechselte 1896 zur E..F. do São Francisco, 1911 zur Chemins de Fer Fédéraux de l’Est Brésilien, 1935 zur V.F.F. Leste Brasileiro und von 1975 bis zur Streckenstilllegung 1996 gehörte sie der Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. (estacoesferroviarias.com.br). Zwischen ca. 1940 und ca. 1950 hieß der Bahnhof Graciliano de Freitas, in Erinnerung an einem Politiker, der Bürgermeister von Alagoinhas, Senator und auch Postverwalter in Bahia war. Heute sind die Schienen noch da, das Bahnhofsgebäude wird von der Stadtverwaltung benutzt.

1905 (in estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

Rund um den Bahnhof wuchs eine Siedlung, die zunächst der Freguesia von Aramary gehörte, und seit September 1961 ist Aramari – wie es heute geschrieben wird – ein eigenständiger Município.

Zwei Gründungsdaten fürs Bahnhofspostamt wurden gefunden. Die Presse aus Rio lieferte das erste Datum, aus April 1881:

Gazeta de Noticias/RJ, 21.04.1881

Dagegen schreibt das Verzeichnis der kaiserlichen Postämter (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) dafür das Jahr 1882, was möglicherweise der Zeitpunkt der Inbetriebnahme des Postamts wäre. Bisher wurde kein Poststempel aus diesem Bahnhof in der Kaiserzeit gesehen.

Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Araguary, Minas Gerais (AMG-0105)

Estado de Minas Geraes, 1910

Another name: Brejo Alegre

This village was the Freguesia of Brejo Alegre (Happy Swamp) from April 1864, belonging to the Município of Bagagem, located 650 km west of the provincial capital Ouro Preto. In October 1882 it became a vila and in August 1888 a town, named Araguary, after the great river that flows a few kilometres to the south, which was called earlier Rio das Velhas.

As Paula Sobrinho writes in História Postal de Minas Gerais (Belo Horizonte, 1997), there was a post office in Brejo Alegre since September 1883. So far, postmarks with the new place name Araguary have been found with dates from 1890 to 1902, but there may also be earlier examples of AMG-0105a (Coll. FM). This double circle has the inscriptions ARAGUARY above and (MINAS) below.

Estado de Minas Geraes, 1911

Anderer Name: Brejo Alegre

Diese Ortschaft war ab April 1864 die Freguesia von Brejo Alegre (Fröhlicher Sumpf), die dem Município von Bagagem angehörte und 650 km westlich der Provinzhauptstadt Ouro Preto entfernt lag. Im Oktober 1882 wurde daraus eine Vila und im August 1888 eine Stadt, die dem Namen Araguary trug, in Anlehnung am großen Fluss, der ein Paar km südlich fließt und früher auch Rio das Velhas hieß.

Wie Paula Sobrinho in História Postal de Minas Gerais (Belo Horizonte, 1997) schreibt, gab es in Brejo Alegre ein Postamt seit September 1883. Bisher wurden Poststempel mit dem neuen Ortsnamen Araguary mit Daten von 1890 bis 1902 gefunden, aber möglicherweise gibt es auch frühere Exemplare vom AMG-0105a (Samml. FM). Dieser Doppelkreis hat die Inschriften ARAGUARY oben und (MINAS) unten.

Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Aracaty (train station/Bahnhof), Minas Gerais (AMG-0100)

Estrada de Ferro Leopoldina

Aracaty station was inaugurated in September 1885 by the E.F. Leopoldina Railway Company and was located on the main line in the Município of Cataguazes, on the north bank of the Pomba River, 250 km southeast of the provincial capital Ouro Preto. The line belonged to Rede Ferroviaria Federal S.A. from 1975 to 1996 and today it is used only for freight transport of bauxite between Minas Gerais and Rio de Janeiro. The station building seems quite well preserved (estacoesferroviarias.com.br):

2008, photo: Gutierrez L. Coelho (estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

Around the station grew the settlement that is now called Aracati de Minas and belongs to the município of Cataguases (in their current spellings). The station post office was established in January 1886, according to the Postal Report (Relatorio Postal) for 1887. Paula Sobrinho, in Historia Postal de Minas Gerais (Belo Horizonte, 1997), gives the same date within the year 1883, which is probably a transcription error. The imperial postmark from this station is AMG-0100a (image from the internet): a double circle with the inscriptions EST. DE ARACATY above and (MINAS) below. The dates in the centre go from 1887 to at least 1894.

Google Maps

Der Bahnhof Aracaty wurde im September 1885 durch die E.F. Leopoldina Bahngesellschaft eingeweiht und lag auf der Hauptlinie im Município von Cataguazes, am Nordufer des Flusses Pomba, 250 km südöstlich der Provinzhauptstadt Ouro Preto entfernt. Die Linie gehörte von 1975 bis 1996 der Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. und heute dient sie nur der Frachtbeförderung von Bauxit zwischen Minas Gerais und Rio de Janeiro. Das Bahnhofsgebäude scheint gut erhalten zu sein (estacoesferroviarias.com.br):

2008, Foto: Gutierrez L. Coelho (estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

Rund um den Bahnhof wuchs die Siedlung, die heute Aracati de Minas heißt und dem Município von Cataguases (in der jeweils heutigen Schreibweise) angehört. Das Bahnhofspostamt wurde im Januar 1886 ins Leben gerufen, wie aus dem Postbericht (Relatorio Postal) für 1887 hervorgeht. Paula Sobrinho gibt in História Postal de Minas Gerais (Belo Horizonte, 1997) das gleiche Datum aus dem Jahr 1883, was ein Abschreibfehler sein dürfte. Der kaiserliche Poststempel aus diesem Bahnhof ist AMG-0100a (Abb. aus dem Internet): Ein Doppelkreis mit den Inschriften EST. DE ARACATY oben und (MINAS) unten. Die Daten in der Mitte gehen von 1887 bis mindestens 1894.

Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Aracati/Aracaty, Ceará (ACE-0020)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Other names: S. José do Porto dos Barcos, Cruz das Almas

The former freguesia of Santa Cruz do Aracaty was originally called S. José do Porto dos Barcos and later also Cruz das Almas (Cross of Souls) and was located on the east bank of the Jaguaribe River, 150 km southeast of the later provincial capital Fortaleza. The place rose to the status of vila in April 1747 and town in December 1842.

There were apparently three periods of operation for the local post office. It is not known when the post office first opened, but it was probably by April 1831, when the local postmaster was mentioned in the Pernambuco press:

Diario de Pernambuco, 17.06.1831

The first period of operation ended around 1851, for at the beginning of 1852, the post office was already closed, as a note from the regional press tells us:

Cearense, 10.02.1852

As Nova Monteiro writes in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999), the agency reopened in February 1852. The third creation of the post office is said to have taken place in 1872, as noted in the Directory of Imperial Post Offices (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885). However, this reopening could not be confirmed anywhere, it is possibly a printing error.

Three postmarks and one handwritten cancellation were found for the Empire. Firstly ACE-0020a, which was used at least between 1832 and 1844 and is known by Paulo Ayres (Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) under no. 1127:

ACE-0020a (P.A. 1127) 1832-1844ff

P. Ayres (op. cit.) also showed ACE-0020b, now under no. 1202. This cnacel was also used in blue from 1866:

ACE-0020b (P.A. 1202)

The last imperial postmark is ACE-0020c, which was presented to us by R. Koester in Carimbologia II:

ACE-0020c (RK) 1888-1890

Koester also showed the handwritten cancellation from Aracaty, which was probably used between ACE-0020a and ACE-0020b:

1850ff (RK)
Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia do Ceara, 1849

Andere Namen: S. José do Porto dos Barcos, Cruz das Almas

Die frühere Freguesia von Santa Cruz do Aracaty hieß ursprünglich S. José do Porto dos Barcos und später auch Cruz das Almas (Kreuz der Seelen) und lag am Ostufer des Flusses Jaguaribe, 150 km südöstlich der späteren Provinzhauptstadt Fortaleza entfernt. Der Ort stieg im April 1747 zur Vila und im Dezember 1842 zur Stadt auf.

Es gab mindestens drei Betriebsperioden fürs örtliche Postamt. Wann die Postagentur erstmals eröffnete ist nicht bekannt, aber es dürfte vor April 1831 sein, als der dortige Postverwalter in der Presse aus Pernambuco erwähnt wurde:

Diario de Pernambuco, 17.06.1831

Die erste Betriebsperiode endete um 1851, denn am Anfang 1852 war das Postamt schon geschlossen, wie eine Notiz der Regionalpresse uns mitteilt:

Cearense, 10.02.1852

Wie Nova Monteiro in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) schreibt, eröfnete die Agentur im Februar 1852 wieder. Die dritte Entstehung des Postamts soll 1872 stattgefunden haben, wie im Verzeichnis der kaiserlichen Postämter (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) vermerkt. Allerdings konnte diese Wiedereröffnung nirgends bestätigt werden, es handelt sich hier möglicherweise um einen Druckfehler.

Drei Poststempel und eine handschriftliche Entwertung wurden fürs Kaiserreich gefunden. Zuerst ACE-0020a, der zumindest zwischen 1832 und 1844 verwendet wurde und durch Paulo Ayres (Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) unter Nr. 1127 bekannt ist:

ACE-0020a (P.A. 1127) 1832-1844ff

P. Ayres (op. cit.) zeigte auch ACE-0020b, diesmal unter der Nr. 1202. Dieser Stempel wurde ab 1866 auch in blau gebraucht:

ACE-0020b (P.A. 1202)

Der letzte kaiserliche Poststempel ist ACE-0020c, der uns durch R. Koester in  Carimbologia II vorgestellt wurde:

ACE-0020c (RK) 1888-1890

Koester zeigte auch die handschriftliche Entwertung aus Aracaty, die wohl zwischen ACE-0020a und ACE-0020b verwendet wurde:

1850ff (RK)
Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Araçariguama, São Paulo (ASP-0045)

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia de São Paulo, 1847

The beautiful Indian word Araçariguama means meeting place of the Araçaris. Araçari is a bird of the toucan family (Ramphastidae), such as the black-throated aracari:

Pteroglopssus aracari (Linnaeus 1758, photo Andrew Newberry, CC BY-SA 2.0).

The Freguesia of N. Sra. da Penha de Araçariguama was founded in 1701 in the Vila of Sant’Anna de Parnahyba and was located close to the south bank of the river Tietê, a good 50 km west of the later provincial capital of São Paulo. The town changed to the Município of S. Roque in February 1844, became a Vila in April 1874 and a town in December 1906. Then there came its downgrading as a District of S. Roque in May 1934, before regaining Município status in December 1991.

The local post office was created in 1875, as shown in the Directory of Imperial Post Offices (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885). The only postmark in the Empire so far is ASP-0045b (Fig. Mario Celso Orsi Jr.) a double circle with the inscription ARAÇARIGUAMA at the top. The internal dates go from 1889 to 1899.

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Das schöne Indianerwort Araçariguama bedeutet Treffpunkt der Araçaris. Araçari ist ein Vogel der Familie der Tukane (Ramphastidae), wie z.B. der Schwarzkehlarassari:

Pteroglopssus aracari (Linnaeus 1758, Foto Andrew Newberry, CC BY-SA 2.0)

Die Freguesia von N. Sra. da Penha de Araçariguama wurde 1701 in der Vila von Sant’Anna de Parnahyba gegründet und lag nah am Südufer des Flusses Tietê, gut 50 km westlich der späteren Provinzhauptstadt São Paulo. Der Ort wechselte im Februar 1844 zum Município von S. Roque, wurde Vila im April 1874 und Stadt im Dezember 1906. Dann kam im Mai 1934 die Herabstufung als Distrikt von S. Roque, bevor der Município-Status im Dezember 1991 wieder erlangt wurde.

Das örtliche Postamt entstand 1875, wie aus dem Verzeichnis der kaiserlichen Postämter (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) hervorgeht. Der bisher einzige Poststempel im Kaiserreich ist ASP-0045b (Abb. Mario Celso Orsi Jr.) ein Doppelkreis mit der Inschrift ARAÇARIGUAMA oben. Die inneren Daten gehen von 1889 bis 1899.

Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Aquiraz, Ceará (ACE-0015)

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia do Ceara, 1849

Aquiraz was the first vila of the Capitania of Ceará, founded by Royal Decree (Ordem Régia) of February 1699, and was also the capital of this Capitania between 1713 and 1810. The place name has its origin in the Tupi language and is said to mean waters that lie further. The villa of S. José do Ribamar de Aquiraz was located on the east bank of the Pacoti River, over 30 km southeast of the later provincial capital Fortaleza. Aquiraz has been a town since July 1915.

Two periods of operation for the local post office have been recorded, although it has not yet been possible to find out when the first period began. It ended in March 1847, according to the Rio Official Press:

Gazeta Official/RJ, 24.03.1847

The second creation of the postal agency took place around June 1872, as the Directory of the Imperial Post Offices (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) reveals. This is confirmed by the regional press:

Cearense, 04.07.1872

Two imperial postmarks were found, unfortunately not the oldest ones. ACE-0015b (image from the internet) is a simple double circle with the above inscription AQUIRAZ. The only specimen bears a date from 1890 in the centre. ACE-0015c was already presented to us by Paulo Ayres in Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) on p. 145:

ACE-0015c (P.A. p. 145)
Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Aquiraz war die erste Vila der Capitania von Ceará, gegründet durch Königliche Verfügung (Ordem Régia) vom Februar 1699, und war auch die Hauptstadt dieser Capitania zwischen 1713 und 1810. Der Ortsname hat den Ursprung in der Tupi-Sprache und soll etwa Gewässer, die weit entfernt liegen bedeuten. Die Villa von S. José do Ribamar de Aquiraz lag am Ostufer des Flusses Pacoti, gut 30 km südöstlich der späteren Provinzhauptstadt Fortaleza entfernt. Seit Juli 1915 ist Aquiraz eine Stadt.

Zwei Betriebsperioden fürs örtliche Postamt sind überliefert, wobei es noch nicht möglich war, herauszufinden, wann die erste Periode begann. Sie endete im März 1847, wie die Amtspresse aus Rio mitteilte:

Gazeta Official/RJ, 24.03.1847

Die zweite Entstehung der Postagentur fand um Juni 1872 statt, wie das Verzeichnis der kaiserlichen Postämter (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) verrät. Das wird durch die Regionalpresse bestätigt:

Cearense, 04.07.1872

Zwei kaiserliche Poststempel wurden gefunden, leider nicht der älteste. ACE-0015b (Abb. aus dem Internet) ist ein einfacher Doppelkreis mit der obigen Inschrift AQUIRAZ. Das einzige Exemplar trägt ein Datum aus 1890 in der Mitte. ACE-0015c wurde uns bereit durch Paulo Ayres in Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) auf S. 145 vorgestellt:

ACE-0015c (P. A. S. 145)

Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Aquidaban, Sergipe (ASE-0005)

Arthur D. Ribeiro: Estado de Sergipe, 1924

Other names: Sant’Anna do Cemitério, Aquidabã

This locality was the former Freguesia of Sant’Anna do Cemitério (Saint Anne of the Cemetery) from April 1872, belonging to the Município of Propriá and located 100 km north of the provincial capital Aracaju. Exactly ten years later, villa status was obtained under the name Aquidaban, which means fertile land between rivers in Tupi. Since 1938, Aquidabã, as it is written today, has been a town.

So far, the date of origin for the local post office has not been found, but it must have been from 1885 onwards, because the agency was not listed in the Directory of Imperial Post Offices (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885). Nor was there an imperial postmark from this place.

Estado da Bahia, 1913

Andere Namen: Sant’Anna do Cemitério, Aquidabã

Diese Ortschaft war ab April 1872 die frühere Freguesia von Sant’Anna do Cemitério (Heilige Anna vom Friedhof), die dem Município von Propriá angehörte und 100 km nördlich der Provinzhauptstadt Aracaju entfernt lag. Genau zehn Jahre später wurde der Villa-Status unter dem Namen Aquidaban erlangt; das Tupi-Wort soll fruchtbares Land zwischen Flüssen bedeuten. Seit 1938 ist Aquidabã, wie man es heute schreibt, eine Stadt.

Bisher wurde das Entstehungsdatum fürs örtliche Postamt nicht gefunden, dürfte aber ab 1885 gewesen sein, denn die Agentur wurde nicht im Verzeichnis der kaiserlichen Postämter (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) aufgelistet. Ebenso wenig war ein kaiserlicher Poststempel aus diesem Ort zu sehen.

Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Apparecida, São Paulo (ASP-0035)

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia de São Paulo, 1847

Another name: Aparecida do Norte (1928)

The history of this village is inseparable from an alleged miracle that took place in 1717. Three fishermen retrieved the headless statue of a black Madonna from the Paraíba do Sul River in their net; they fished out the missing head when they subsequently cast the net.  Today, Aparecida do Norte is Brazil’s most important pilgrimage site, and the apparition of the Virgin Mary is also a national shrine.

The administrative history of the place is less spectacular and rather testifies to economic poverty. The freguesia of Apparecida e Roseira was created in March 1842 in the município of Guaratinguetá and was located on the south bank of the Paraíba do Sul River, 170 km northeast of the provincial capital of São Paulo. It lost its freguesia status twice: in March 1844 and in February 1882. In between, it was promoted to freguesia in April 1880. In April 1891, it became a district under the name of Capela de Aparecida, and it received município status under the name of Aparecida do Norte in December 1928.

As can be read in the Directory of Imperial Post Offices (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885), there was a post office there since 1877. Two postmarks could be reliably identified for the late 19th century by R. Koester in Carimbologia II:

ASP-0035a (RK) 1880
ASP-0035b (RK) 1890-1891
Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Anderer Name: Aparecida do Norte (1928)

Die Geschichte dieser Ortschaft ist untrennbar mit einem angeblichen Wunder, der sich 1717 ereignet haben soll. Drei Fischer holten in ihrem Netz die kopflose Statue einer schwarzen Madonna aus dem Fluss Paraíba do Sul, den fehlenden Kopf fischten sie beim folgenden Netzwurf.  Heute ist Aparecida do Norte Brasiliens wichtigster Pilgerort, die Maria- Erscheinung ist auch ein nationaler Heiligtum.

Die Verwaltungsgeschichte des Orts ist weniger spektakulär und zeugt eher von wirtschaftlicher Armut. Die Freguesia von Apparecida e Roseira entstand im März 1842 im Município von Guaratinguetá und lag am Südufer des Flusses Paraíba do Sul, 170 km nordöstlich der Provinzhauptstadt São Paulo entfernt. Der Freguesia –Status ging zweimal verloren: im März 1844 und im Februar 1882. Zwischendurch erfolgte ein Aufstieg zur Freguesia im April 1880. Im April 1891 wurde der Ort zum Distrikt namens Capella de Aparecida und erhielt den Status eines Município unter dem Namen Aparecida do Norte im Dezember 1928.

Wie im Verzeichnis der kaiserlichen Postämter (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) zu lesen ist, gab es dort ein Postamt seit 1877. Zwei Poststempel konnten fürs späte 19. Jahrhundert durch R. Koester in Carimbologia II sicher identifiziert werden:

ASP-0035a (RK) 1880
ASP-0035b (RK) 1890-1891