Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Conde, Paraíba (CPB-0120)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Other names: Jacoca

From 1768, Conde was the name of a freguesia of the Vila da Paraíba do Norte, which was located 20 kilometres south of the later provincial capital. It is said to have been elevated to a Vila around 1800, but lost this status in June 1846 and became the Freguesia de Jacoca, named after a Tabajara Indian settlement. In September 1886, it was again elevated to Vila and retained this status until December 1943, when the Distrito de Jacoca was founded in the Município de João Pessoa. The name Vila do Conde returned in January 1949, and since November 1963 the town has been Município de Conde. The Count (Conde) here could have been the Dutch commander Moritz of Nassau, who conquered north-east Brazil at the beginning of the 17th century.

Three foundation dates have been found for the local post office, the last two of which are very close to each other and probably belong together. The first was around October 1829, as reported in the Pernambuco press:

O Cruzeiro/PE, 13/10/1829

The agency was closed in July 1847, as reported by the Imperial Ministry:

Relatorio do Ministerio do Imperio, 1847

The Conde post office in the province of Paraíba only reopened in January 1887, as reported in the Rio press:

Jornal do Commercio/RJ, 05/01/1887

R. Koester (Carimbologia XIV) gives a date a few days later. No imperial postmark of this conde has yet been found.

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) das Provincias do Rio Grande e Parahiba do Norte

Andere Namen: Jacoca

Conde war ab 1768 der Name einer Freguesia der Vila da Paraíba do Norte, die 20 km südlich der späteren Provinzhauptstadt lag. Sie soll um 1800 zur Vila erhoben worden sein, verlor diesen Status aber im Juni 1846 und wurde zur Freguesia de Jacoca, benannt nach einer Tabajara-Indianersiedlung. Im September 1886 wurde sie erneut zur Vila erhoben und behielt diesen Status bis Dezember 1943, als der Distrito de Jacoca im Município de João Pessoa gegründet wurde. Der Name Vila do Conde kehrte im Januar 1949 zurück, und seit November 1963 ist die Stadt Município de Conde. Der Graf (Conde) hier könnte der niederländische Befehlshaber Moritz von Nassau gewesen sein, der den Nordosten Brasiliens zu Beginn des 17.

Es wurden drei Gründungsdaten für das örtliche Postamt gefunden, wobei die letzten beiden sehr nahe beieinander liegen und wahrscheinlich zusammengehören. Das erste um Oktober 1829, wie die Presse von Pernambuco berichtete:

O Cruzeiro/PE, 13.10.1829

Die Agentur wurde im Juli 1847 geschlossen, wie das kaiserliche Ministerium berichtete:

Relatorio do Ministerio do Imperio, 1847

Das Postamt Conde der Provinz Paraíba öffnete erst wieder im Januar 1887, wie die Presse aus Rio berichtete:

Jornal do Commercio/RJ, 05.01.1887

R. Koester (Carimbologia XIV) gibt dafür ein Datum einige Tage später an. Bisher wurde kein kaiserlicher Poststempel von diesem Conde gefunden.

jmkarlsruhe's avatar

By jmkarlsruhe

Brazilian-German philatelist who lives in Germany since 1981.

Leave a comment