Categories
Carimbologia E-G

Florestal, Paraná (FPR-0090)

Google Maps

Florestal is another place in the Brazilian Empire that has now disappeared from the map. In the 19th century, it was a small settlement on the famous Graciosa Road (Estrada da Graciosa), 30 kilometres east of the provincial capital Vila de Curitiba, and has remained so to this day. Only the administrative jurisdiction changed several times: in November 1883 to Vila de Campina Grande, in October 1938 to the Município de Piraquara, in November 1951 to the Município de Timbu (formerly Campina Grande), in February 1956 to the Município de Campina Grande do Sul (formerly Timbu) and finally in January 1961 to the newly founded Município de Quatro Barras. Florestal is now a rural suburb of the town of Quatro Barras, recognisable by a primary school and a shop that still bear the old place name.

The local post office was established in June 1878, as can be seen from the report of the provincial president from the following March:

Relatorio do Presidente da Provincia, 03/1879

R. Koester shows in Carimbologia XIX a handwritten cancellation from 1882, as apparently the postmark was not delivered on time.

1882 (RK)

Philatelist Mario Celso Orsi Jr. has supplied the oldest illustration of postmark FPR-0090a to date:

FPR-0090a (MO) 1885-1887
Estado do Paraná, 1896

Mit Florestal haben wir einen weiteren Ort im Kaiserreich Brasilien, der heute von der Landkarte verschwunden ist. Es war im 19. Jahrhundert eine kleine Siedlung an der berühmten Graciosa-Straße (Estrada da Graciosa), 30 km östlich der Provinzhauptstadt Vila de Curitiba, und so ist es bis heute geblieben. Nur die administrative Zuständigkeit wechselte mehrmals: im November 1883 zu Vila de Campina Grande, im Oktober 1938 zum Município de Piraquara, im November 1951 zum Município de Timbu (ehemals Campina Grande), im Februar 1956 zum Município de Campina Grande do Sul (ehemals Timbu) und schließlich im Januar 1961 zum neu gegründeten Município de Quatro Barras. Florestal ist heute ein ländlicher Vorort der Stadt Quatro Barras, erkennbar an einer Grundschule und einem Laden, die noch den alten Ortsnamen tragen.

Das örtliche Postamt wurde im Juni 1878 eingerichtet, wie aus dem Bericht des Provinzpräsidenten vom folgenden März hervorgeht:

Relatorio do Presidente da Provincia, 03/1879

R. Koester zeigt in Carimbologia XIX eine handschriftliche Entwertung von 1882 als Indiz dafür, dass der Poststempel nicht rechtzeitig geliefert wurde.

1882 (RK)

Der Philatelist Mario Celso Orsi Jr. stellte die bisher älteste Abbildung des Poststempels FPR-0090a zur Verfügung:

FPR-0090a (MO) 1885-1887
jmkarlsruhe's avatar

By jmkarlsruhe

Brazilian-German philatelist who lives in Germany since 1981.

Leave a comment