Categories
Carimbologia M-N

Mendes, Rio de Janeiro (MRJ-0725)

Laemmert: Provincia do Rio de Janeiro, 1866

See also Freguesia dos Mendes (FRJ-2405)

Since October 1838, Sta. Cruz dos Mendes was a curato (parish) of Vila de Piraí, 120 kilometres northwest of the capital Rio de Janeiro. The village became a freguesia in September 1855, a district of the Município de Barra do Piraí in March 1890 and a Município de Mendes in July 1952.

As Nova Monteiro writes in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; reprint SPP 1994-1999), there had been a post office there since January 1856. However, this was closed in June 1861, as the press in Rio reported:

Correio Mercantil, 29/06/1861

The agency was soon reopened, as can be seen from the minutes of the imperial ministry:

Expediente do Ministerio do Imperio, 14/08/1861

The first cancel is FRJ-2405a, which was given the number 1304 by Paulo Ayres (Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, S. Paulo, 1937, 1942):

FRJ-2405a (P.A. 1304) 1856-1877ff

This was followed by the double circle MRJ-0725a (illustration by Claudio Coelho):

MRJ-0725a (CC) 1876ff-1884

Then, for a short time, came the rare MRJ-0725b (illustration by Koester in Carimbologia XXVII), which has slightly spread-out letters and seems to have no inner circle.

MRJ-0725b (RK) 1884

In the final years of the empire, two circle cancels with ornaments were added, beginning with MRJ-0725c (see illustration by Felipe Picinnini):

MRJ-0725c (FP) 1883–1887

The second ornamented cancel is MRJ-0725d (ill. from agenciaspostais.com.br):

MRJ-0725d (PN) 1888–1889

R. Koester (op. cit.) also showed two handwritten cancellations from Mendes:

1877 ff. – 1884 (RK)

James Dingler and Klerman W. Lopes have reproduced two mute cancellations from this locality in ‘Mute Cancellations of the Brazil Empire / Carimbos Mudos do Brasil Império’ (Brazil Philatelic Association, Rio de Janeiro, 2000).

1877 ff. – 1884 (RK)

An other postmark, with the locality initial, was found in the Fuad Ferreira Fo. collection.

1883 (FF)

Since both the Postal Guide (Guia Postal do Império, 1880) and the directory of imperial post offices (Tabella das Agências do Correio do Império, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) list the Mendes post office as a railway station post office, it is likely that it moved in 1879 at the latest, even though postmarks with ‘EST.’ (for Estação/station) only appear in the Republic.

The station was opened in August 1864 by the E. F. D. Pedro II railway company as part of the main line. From 1889, the railway line belonged to E.F. Central do Brasil and from 1975 until its closure in 1996 to Rede Ferroviária Federal S. A. (source: estacoesferroviarias.com.br). Today, the tracks are still in place and the station building was still being used as a residential building in 2010.

In 1929 (image from O Malho on estacoesferroviarias.com.br)
In June 2023 (photo: Beto Lee, on Google Maps)
Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia do Rio de Janeiro, 1850

Siehe auch Freguesia dos Mendes (FRJ-2405)

Seit Oktober 1838 war Sta. Cruz dos Mendes ein Curato (Pfarrei) der 120 km nordwestlich der Hauptstadt Rio de Janeiro gelegenen Vila de Piraí. Der Ort wurde im September 1855 zur Freguesia, im März 1890 zum Distrikt des Município de Barra do Piraí und im Juli 1952 zum Município de Mendes.

Wie Nova Monteiro in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) schreibt, gab es dort seit Januar 1856 ein Postamt. Dieses wurde jedoch bereits im Juni 1861 geschlossen, wie die Presse in Rio berichtete:

Correio Mercantil, 29.06.1861

Die Agentur wurde dennoch bald wieder eröffnet, wie aus dem Protokoll des kaiserlichen Ministeriums hervorgeht:

Expediente do Ministerio do Imperio, 14.08.1861

Der erste Stempel ist FRJ-2405a, der von Paulo Ayres (Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) die Nummer 1304 erhielt:

FRJ-2405a (P.A. 1304) 1856-1877ff

Es folgte der Doppelkreis MRJ-0725a (Abb. Claudio Coelho):

MRJ-0725a (CC) 1876ff-1884

Danach kam für kurze Zeit der seltene MRJ-0725b (Abbildung bei Koester in Carimbologia XXVII), der etwas ausgebreitete Buchstaben und scheinbar keinen inneren Kreis aufweist.

MRJ-0725b (RK) 1884

In den letzten Jahren des Kaiserreichs kamen auch zwei Kreisstempel mit Ornamenten hinzu, beginnend mit MRJ-0725c (Abbildung von Felipe Picinnini):

MRJ-0725c (FP) 1883–1887

Der zweite Ornamentstempel ist MRJ-0725d (siehe agenciaspostais.com.br):

MRJ-0725d (PN) 1888–1889

R. Koester (op. cit.) zeigte auch zwei handschriftliche Entwertungen aus Mendes:

1877 ff. – 1884 (RK)

James Dingler und Klerman W. Lopes haben in „Mute Cancellations of the Brazil Empire / Carimbos Mudos do Brasil Império” (Brazil Philatelic Association, Rio de Janeiro, 2000) zwei stumme Abstempelungen aus dieser Ortschaft abgebildet.

1877 ff. – 1884 (RK)

Ein weiterer Stempel mit dem Anfangsbuchstaben des Ortes stammt aus der Sammlung Fuad Ferreira Fo.

1883 (FF)

Da sowohl der Postführer (Guia Postal do Império, 1880) als auch das Verzeichnis der kaiserlichen Postämter (Tabella das Agências do Correio do Império, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) das Postamt Mendes als Bahnhofspostamt auflisten, ist es wahrscheinlich, dass dieses spätestens 1879 umgezogen ist, auch wenn Poststempel mit „EST.” (für Estação/Bahnhof) erst in der Republik vorkommen.

Der Bahnhof wurde im August 1864 von der Eisenbahngesellschaft E. F. D. Pedro II als Teil der Hauptlinie eröffnet. Die Bahnlinie gehörte ab 1889 der E.F. Central do Brasil und von 1975 bis zur Stilllegung im Jahr 1996 der Rede Ferroviária Federal S. A. (Quelle: estacoesferroviarias.com.br). Heute sind die Gleise noch vorhanden und das Bahnhofsgebäude diente im Jahr 2010 noch als Wohnhaus.

1929 (Abb. aus O Malho auf estacoesferroviarias.com.br)
Im Juni 2023 (Foto: Beto Lee, auf Google Maps)
jmkarlsruhe's avatar

By jmkarlsruhe

Brazilian-German philatelist who lives in Germany since 1981.

Leave a comment