
Alternative spelling: Moreno (1938)
Moreno railway station was opened in August 1885 by the railway company E. F. Recife a Caruaru (also known as Central de Pernambuco) on the north bank of the Jaboatão River in the municipality of the same name. It was located 30 km west of the provincial capital Recife. The railway line was transferred to Great Western in 1904 and to Rede Ferroviária do Nordeste in 1950. From 1975 until its closure in 1996, it belonged to Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. (estacoesferroviarias.com.br). Today, the tracks are still in place, the station building has been restored, and the area is mainly used as a park and market square.


The area around the station became a district in March 1920 and a municipality in September 1928. Since December 1938, the spelling has been Moreno. This was the name of two brothers from Portugal who first owned the land. The Engenho Morenos was also built there.
According to the 1889 Post Bulletin (Boletim Postal), there had been a post office at the station since August of that year. The only imperial postmark to date is MPE-0400a (illustration by Felipe Piccinini). However, the date 1885 is puzzling. Is it a dating error, or could it be that an agency was in operation before the railway line was built?


Andere Schreibweise: Moreno (1938)
Der Bahnhof Morenos wurde im August 1885 von der Eisenbahngesellschaft E. F. Recife a Caruaru (auch Central de Pernambuco genannt) am Nordufer des Jaboatão im gleichnamigen Munizip eröffnet. Er lag 30 km westlich der Provinzhauptstadt Recife. Die Bahnlinie wechselte 1904 zur Great Western und 1950 zur Rede Ferroviária do Nordeste. Von 1975 bis zur Stilllegung im Jahr 1996 gehörte sie der Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. (estacoesferroviarias.com.br). Heute sind die Gleise noch vorhanden, das Bahnhofsgebäude wurde restauriert und das Areal wird überwiegend als Park- und Marktplatz genutzt.


Das Gebiet um den Bahnhof wurde im März 1920 zum Distrito und im September 1928 zum Municipio. Seit Dezember 1938 gilt die Schreibweise Moreno. So hießen zwei Brüder aus Portugal, die das Land erstmals besaßen. Dort wurde auch die Fazenda Morenos gebaut.
Wie aus dem Postbulletin (Boletim Postal) von 1889 hervorgeht, gab es am Bahnhof seit August desselben Jahres ein Postamt. Der bisher einzige kaiserliche Poststempel ist MPE-0400a (Abbildung von Felipe Piccinini). Das Datum 1885 bereitet jedoch Kopfzerbrechen. Handelt es sich um einen Datierungsfehler oder könnte es sein, dass eine Agentur vor der Errichtung der Bahnlinie in Betrieb war?
