Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Codó, Maranhão (CMA-0095)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Other names: Urubu

The history of the village began in April 1833, when it was founded as Vila de Urubu (Vulture) on the east bank of the Itapecuru, almost 300
kilometres south of the provincial capital S. Luís do Maranhão. In July 1838, the entire village was moved further south to the mouth of the Codó on the west bank of the Itapecuru and was henceforth called Vila de Santa Rita e Santa Philomena do Codó, which was elevated to the status of a town in April 1896.

Nova Monteiro writes in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; reprint SPP 1994-1999) that there had been a post office there since 28 January 1832. This date is probably a transcription error, as the place was still called Urubu at the time. In
addition, a report from the Imperial Ministry gives a different date, exactly
ten years later:

Relatorio do Ministerio do Imperio, 14/01/1843

To make matters worse, the postal report (Relatorio dos Correios) of 1886 gives 6 January 1842 for the founding of the agency in Codó, and here too R. Koester seems to have copied incorrectly, as he gives 6 July 1842 in Carimbologia XI.

The oldest postmark of Codó could be the extremely rare CMA-0095a
(fig. RHM catalogue):

CMA-0095a (RHM) 1843ff

CMA-0095b also appeared at about the same time, here in an illustration by Henrique B. Ferreira (Catálogo ilustrado dos carimbos sobre os olhos-de-boi, 4a. ed, Porto Alegre, 2017):

CMA-0095b (HBF) 1844

It was followed by CMA-0095c (fig. Roberto Assef Jr.) in a form typical for Maranhão:

CMA-0095c (RA) 1850ff-1878ff

There may have been a shortage of postmarks in Codó around this time, as

stamps were also cancelled by hand:

1850ff-1866ff (fig. Antonio Eleftheriou)

From about 1878 the situation normalised with the arrival of CMA-0095d, illustrated here by P. Ayres (Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, S. Paulo, 1937, 1942):

CMA-0095d (P.A. p. 121) 1878-1900

Two mute cancels of the Empire also come from Codó. The first was given the no. 1346 by James Dingler and Klerman W. Lopes (Mute Cancellations of the Brazil Empire / Carimbos Mudos do Brasil Império, Brazil Philatelic Association, Rio de Janeiro, 2000):

BPA 1346

The second was shown to us by R. Koester (op. cit.):

1883 (RK)

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: CArta (…) da Provincia do Maranhão, 1850

Andere Namen: Urubu

Die Geschichte des Ortes begann im April 1833, als er als Vila de Urubu (Geier) am Ostufer des Itapecuru, knapp 300 km südlich der Provinzhauptstadt S. Luís do Maranhão, gegründet wurde. Im Juli 1838 wurde der gesamte Ort weiter südlich an die Mündung des Codó am
Westufer des Itapecuru verlegt und hieß fortan Vila de Santa Rita e Santa
Philomena do Codó, die im April 1896 zur Stadt erhoben wurde.

Nova Monteiro schreibt in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999), dass es dort seit dem 28.01.1832 ein Postamt gab. Bei dieser Datumsangabe dürfte es sich um einen Abschreibfehler handeln, da der Ort damals noch Urubu hieß. Außerdem gibt ein Bericht des kaiserlichen Ministeriums ein anderes Datum an, das genau zehn Jahre später liegt:

Relatorio do Ministerio do Imperio, 14.01.1843

Erschwerend kommt hinzu, dass der Postbericht (Relatorio dos Correios) von 1886 für die Agenturgründung in Codó den 6.1.1842 angibt, und auch hier scheint R. Koester falsch abgeschrieben zu haben, denn er gibt dafür den 6.7.1842 in Carimbologia XI an. Der älteste Poststempel von Codó könnte der extrem seltene CMA-0095a (Abb. RHM-Katalog) sein:

CMA-0095a (RHM) 1843ff

Etwa zur gleichen Zeit erschien auch CMA-0095b, hier in einer Abbildung von Henrique B. Ferreira (Catálogo ilustrado dos carimbos sobre os olhos-de-boi, 4a. ed, Porto Alegre, 2017):

CMA-0095b (HBF) 1844

Ihm folgte CMA-0095c (Abb. Roberto Assef Jr.) in einer für Maranhão typischen Form:

CMA-0095c (RA) 1850ff-1878ff

Um diese Zeit könnte es in Codó einen Mangel an Poststempeln gegeben haben, denn es wurde auch von Hand gestempelt:

1850ff-1866ff (Abb. Antonio Eleftheriou)

Ab etwa 1878 normalisierte sich die Situation mit der Ankunft von CMA-0095d, hier abgebildet bei P. Ayres (Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, S. Paulo, 1937, 1942):

CMA-0095d (P.A. S. 121) 1878-1900

Aus Codó stammen auch zwei stumme Stempel des Kaiserreichs. Der

erste wurde von James Dingler und Klerman W. Lopes (Mute Cancellations of
the Brazil Empire / Carimbos Mudos do Brasil Império
, Brazil Philatelic
Association, Rio de Janeiro, 2000) mit der Nr. 1346 versehen:

BPA 1346

Die zweite wurde uns von R. Koester (op. cit.) gezeigt:

1883 (RK)

Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Codajaz, Amazonas (CAM-0035)

Carta da Republica dos Estados Unidos do Brazil, 1892

Text update of January 23, 2024

The Freguesia de N. Sra. da Graça de Codajaz was founded in June 1868 on the north bank of the Amazon River, 315 kilometres west of the Vila de Manaus. In May 1874 it was elevated to Vila, but lost this status in November 1930 and became a district of Coary. In September 1931 it was again elevated to município, and since March 1938 Codajás (as it is now spelt) has been a town.

As R. Koester writes in Carimbologia XI, there has been a post office there since 1884. The only postmark from the 19th century so far is CAM-0035a (image from the Internet), which was also found in carmine:

CAM-0035a (EB) 1890ff-1893ff
Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Die Freguesia de N. Sra. da Graça de Codajaz wurde im Juni 1868 gegründet und liegt am Nordufer des Amazonas, 315 km westlich der Vila de Manaus. Im Mai 1874 wurde sie zur Vila erhoben, verlor diesen Status jedoch im November 1930 und wurde ein Distrikt von Coary. Im September 1931 wurde es wieder zum Município erhoben, und seit März 1938 ist Codajás (wie es heute geschrieben wird) eine Stadt.

Wie R. Koester in Carimbologia XI schreibt, gab es dort seit 1884 ein Postamt. Der bisher einzige Poststempel aus dem 19. Jahrhundert ist CAM-0035a (Abbildung aus dem Internet), der auch in Karmin gefunden wurde:

CAM-0035a (EB) 1890ff-1893ff
Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Cochó do Malheiro, Bahia (CBA-0285)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Other names: Cochó de Malheiros

Sto. Antonio do Cochó do Malheiro was an arraial of the Chapada Diamantina at the beginning of the 19th century, which belonged to the Freguesia de Palmeiras in the Vila de Lençóis and was located on the north bank of the Cochó, 460 kilometres west of the later provincial capital Salvador da Bahia. The area was very quickly colonised after the discovery of gold and diamond deposits and apparently also attracted criminals. From May 1889, Cochó do Malheiro belonged to the newly founded Villa Agricola do Campestre. When hardly any precious stones were found, the town fell into disrepair very quickly and was so badly destroyed by gang wars in 1895 that it has remained a ghost town to this day. Part of the Município Seabra since June 1931, it has been a protected monument since 2002. 

Manor house (Photo: Yvana Paraguassu in ogazzeta.blogspot.com)

The local post office was opened in August 1889, as can be seen from the postal bulletin (Boletim Postal) of the following month:

Boletim Postal No. 5, Sept.1889

No imperial postmark of Cochó do Malheiro has yet been seen. It must be very rare, if at all.

Goolge Maps

Andere Namen: Cochó de Malheiros

Sto. Antonio do Cochó do Malheiro war zu Beginn des 19. Jahrhunderts ein Arraial der Chapada Diamantina, die zur Freguesia de Palmeiras in der Vila de Lençóis gehörte und am Nordufer des Cochó, 460 km westlich der späteren Provinzhauptstadt Salvador da Bahia, lag. Das Gebiet wurde nach der Entdeckung von Gold- und Diamantenvorkommen sehr schnell besiedelt und zog offenbar auch Kriminelle an. Ab Mai 1889 gehörte Cochó do Malheiro zur neu gegründeten Villa Agricola do Campestre. Als kaum noch Edelsteine gefunden wurden, verfiel der Ort sehr schnell und wurde 1895 durch Bandenkriege so stark zerstört, dass er bis heute eine Geisterstadt geblieben ist. Seit Juni 1931 Teil des Município Seabra, seit 2002 unter Denkmalschutz. 

Herrenhaus (Foto: Yvana Paraguassu in ogazzeta.blogspot.com)

Das örtliche Postamt wurde im August 1889 eröffnet, wie aus dem Postbulletin (Boletim Postal) des Folgemonats hervorgeht:

Boletim Postal Nr. 5, Sept.1889

Bisher wurde noch kein kaiserlicher Poststempel von Cochó do Malheiro gesehen. Er muss, wenn überhaupt, sehr selten sein.

Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Cocaes, Minas Gerais (CMG-0760)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Other names: Macacos, Morro Grande, Barão de Cocais (1943)

In January 1752, the village is said to have been called Arraial de Macacos (Monkey Village), which belonged to the Freguesia de S. João de Morro Grande and was located on the Rio Santa Barbara, 80 kilometres north of the later provincial capital of Ouro Preto. The name Cocaes (coconut grove) is said to come from a mine in the area. In May 1856, the Freguesia de Sant’Anna de Cocaes was created in the Vila de Sta. Barbara, which has been Município de Barão de Cocais since December 1943. The noble name commemorates José Feliciano Pinto Coelho da Cunha (1792-1869), landowner, military man, politician, entrepreneur and governor of the province of Minas Gerais, who was born here and died as a baron.

Barão de Cocaes

For the local post office, Nova Monteiro in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; reprint SPP 1994-1999) gives the date of foundation as January 1848, when a postal agent was appointed:

Gazeta Official/RJ, 27.01.1848

However, this date is in the middle of the second period of operation of the Cocaes post office. It has not yet been possible to determine when the first period of operation began, but it is known that there was regular postal traffic to Cocaes as early as October 1840:

O Universal, 09.11.1840

The first period of operation ended around 1843, as can be seen from the report of the Ministry of the Empire for the following year:

Relatorio do Ministerio do Imperio, 1844

However, the Cocaes post office was soon reopened, as can be seen from the 1845 report:

Relatorio do Ministerio do Imperio, 1845

The second period of operation ended around 1851, as is also officially reported:

Relatorio do Ministerio do Imperio, 1852

It was not until ten years later, in October 1862, that the third post office was opened in Cocaes, as R. Koester writes in Carimbologia XI and as the directory of imperial post offices (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) confirms.

The oldest postmark there to date is CMG-0760a, known through Paulo Ayres (Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) with no. 1137 from ca. 1843 on, but since it was assigned a pre-philatelic number in the RHM catalogue, it can be assumed that the postmark was also used in the first period of operation.

CMG-0760a (P.A. 1137, RHM P-MG-20) 1843ff-1866ff

At the beginning of the third operating period, the old postmark must have become obsolete, as cancellations were made by hand from around 1866:

1866ff-1875 (EB/FF)

The successor postmark CMG-0760b, which is also illustrated in P. Ayres (op. cit.), was not used until around 1881:

CMG-0760b (P.A. p. 121) 1881-1885

We also know a mute cancellation from Cocaes, which is illustrated both by P. Ayres (no. 29) and by James Dingler and Klerman W. Lopes (Mute Cancellations of the Brazil Empire / Carimbos Mudos do Brasil Império, Brazil Philatelic Association, Rio de Janeiro, 2000), here with no. 339:

BPA 339 (P.A. 29) 1866ff-1882
Mining Districts of Minas Geraes, 1835

Andere Namen: Macacos, Morro Grande, Barão de Cocais (1943)

Im Januar 1752 soll der Ort noch Arraial de Macacos (Affendorf) geheißen haben, das zur Freguesia de S. João de Morro Grande gehörte und am Rio Santa Barbara, 80 km nördlich der späteren Provinzhauptstadt Ouro Preto lag. Der Name Cocaes (Kokoshain) soll von einer Mine in der Gegend stammen. Im Mai 1856 erfolgte die Erhebung zur Freguesia de Sant’Anna de Cocaes in der Vila de Sta. Barbara, die seit Dezember 1943 Município de Barão de Cocais ist. Der Adelsname erinnert an José Feliciano Pinto Coelho da Cunha (1792-1869), Großgrundbesitzer, Militär, Politiker, Unternehmer und Gouverneur der Provinz Minas Gerais, der hier geboren wurde und als Baron starb.

Barão de Cocaes

Für das örtliche Postamt gibt Nova Monteiro in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) als Gründungsdatum den Januar 1848 an, als ein Postagent ernannt wurde:

Gazeta Official/RJ, 27.01.1848

Dieses Datum liegt jedoch in der Mitte der zweiten Betriebsperiode des Postamts Cocaes. Wann die erste Betriebsperiode begann, konnte bisher nicht festgestellt werden, aber es ist bekannt, dass es bereits im Oktober 1840 einen regelmäßigen Postverkehr nach Cocaes gab:

O Universal, 09.11.1840

Die erste Betriebsperiode endete um 1843, wie aus dem Bericht des Reichsministeriums für das folgende Jahr hervorgeht:

Relatorio do Ministerio do Imperio, 1844

Das Postamt von Cocaes wurde jedoch bald wieder eröffnet, wie aus dem Bericht von 1845 hervorgeht:

Relatorio do Ministerio do Imperio, 1845

Die zweite Betriebsperiode endete um 1851, wie ebenfalls offiziell berichtet wird:

Relatorio do Ministerio do Imperio, 1852

Erst zehn Jahre später, im Oktober 1862, fand die dritte Postamteröffnung in Cocaes statt, wie R. Koester in Carimbologia XI schreibt und wie das Verzeichnis der kaiserlichen Postämter (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) bestätigt.

Der bisher älteste Stempel dort ist CMG-0760a, bekannt durch Paulo Ayres (Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) mit Nr. 1137 ab ca. 1843. Da ihm jedoch im RHM-Katalog eine Prephila-Nummer zugeordnet wurde, ist davon auszugehen, dass der Stempel auch in der ersten Betriebsperiode verwendet wurde.

CMG-0760a (P.A. 1137, RHM P-MG-20) 1843ff-1866ff

Zu Beginn der dritten Betriebsperiode muss der alte Poststempel ausgedient haben, da ab ca. 1866 die Entwertung von Hand erfolgte:

1866ff-1875 (EB/FF)

Erst ab etwa 1881 wurde der Nachfolgestempel CMG-0760b verwendet, der auch bei P. Ayres (op. cit.) abgebildet ist:

CMG-0760b (P.A. S. 121) 1881-1885

Wir kennen auch einen stummen Stempel aus Cocaes, der sowohl bei P. Ayres (Nr. 29) als auch bei James Dingler und Klerman W. Lopes (Mute Cancellations of the Brazil Empire / Carimbos Mudos do Brasil Império, Brazil Philatelic Association, Rio de Janeiro, 2000) abgebildet ist, hier mit Nr. 339:

BPA 339 (P.A. 29) 1866ff-1882
Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Coary, Amzonas (CAM-0030)

Villiers de l’Ile dam: Carta (…) das Provincias do Grão Pará e Alto Amazonas, 1850

Other names: Alvellos, N. Sra. de Sant’Anna, N. Sra. da Conceição de Alvellos

Around 1759, the place was still called Lugar de Alvellos, after a Portuguese freguesia (near Barcellos, 2,010 inhabitants in 2021), and was located approx. 360 km west of the later provincial capital Manaus, near the south bank of the Solimões. In 1833, it was renamed Freguesia de N. Sra. de Sant’Anna and in September 1854 N. Sra. da Conceição de Alvellos, whereby the entire freguesia was moved to the mouth of the Coary. In May 1874 it was elevated to the status of Vila de Coary, and since August 1932 Coari (as it is now spelt) has been a town.

According to the list of imperial post offices (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885), there has been a post office there since 1873; no imperial postmark from Coary has yet been found.

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Andere Namen: Alvellos, N. Sra. de Sant’Anna, N. Sra. da Conceição de Alvellos

Der Ort hieß um 1759 noch Lugar de Alvellos, nach einer portugiesischen Freguesia (bei Barcellos, 2.010 Einwohner im Jahr 2021), und lag ca. 360 km westlich der späteren Provinzhauptstadt Manaus, nahe dem Südufer des Solimões. 1833 erfolgte die Umbenennung in Freguesia de N. Sra. de Sant’Anna und im September 1854 in N. Sra. da Conceição de Alvellos, wobei die gesamte Freguesia an die Mündung des Coary verlegt wurde. Im Mai 1874 erfolgte die Erhebung zur Vila de Coary, und seit August 1932 ist Coari (wie es heute geschrieben wird) eine Stadt.

Wie aus dem Verzeichnis der kaiserlichen Postämter (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) hervorgeht, gab es dort seit 1873 ein Postamt; bisher wurde kein kaiserlicher Poststempel aus Coary gefunden.

Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Claudio, Minas Gerais (CMG-0755)

Provincia de Minas Geraes, 1873

The Freguesia de N. Sra. da Apparecida do Claudio was founded in June 1858, belonged to the Vila de Oliveira (Lei Prov./MG 913) and was located on the Claudio stream (Ribeirão), 210 km west of the provincial capital Ouro Preto. In August 1911 it was elevated to Vila de Apparecida do Claudio and in September 1923 to Município de Claudio.

According to consistent sources, there had been a post office there since September 1883. Here, too, the official postmark did not arrive in time; it was initially cancelled by hand (fig. R. Koester, in Carimbologia XI):

1883ff (RK)

CMG-0755a (fig. Fuad Ferreira Fo.) was then used from around 1887:

CMG-0755a (FF) 1887-1902
Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Die Freguesia de N. Sra. da Apparecida do Claudio wurde im Juni 1858 gegründet, gehörte zur Vila de Oliveira (Lei Prov./MG 913) und lag am Bach (Ribeirão) Claudio, 210 km westlich der Provinzhauptstadt Ouro Preto. Im August 1911 wurde es zur Vila de Apparecida do Claudio und im September 1923 zur Município de Claudio erhoben.

Nach übereinstimmenden Quellen gab es dort ein Postamt seit September 1883. Auch hier kam der amtliche Poststempel nicht rechtzeitig an, es wurde anfangs von Hand abgestempelt (Abb. R. Koester, in Carimbologia XI):

1883ff (RK)

Erst ab etwa 1887 wurde CMG-0755a (Abb. Fuad Ferreira Fo.) verwendet:

CMG-0755a (FF) 1887-1902
Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Cintra, Pará (CPA-0080)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Text update of January 18, 2024

Other names: Maracanã (1897)

The Indian settlement of Maracanan was located on the left bank of the river of the same name, 170 kilometres north-east of the later provincial capital of Belém do Pará. After missionisation and colonisation, it became the Freguesia de S. Miguel de Cintra around 1700, again named after a Portuguese community, as was customary in Pará. The Brazilian Cintra became a Vila in June 1755 and a town in October 1885, which has been called Maracanã again since May 1897.

Nova Monteiro writes in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; reprint SPP 1994-1999) that there had been a post office there since June 1860. However, a report in the provincial press from June 1856 gives an indication of some kind of local postal service:

Treze de Maio, 16/06/1856

The only postmark from Cintra in the 19th century to date, CPA-0080b, was provided by the philatelist Fuad Ferreira Fo:

CPA-0080b (FF) 1890
Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) das Provincias do Grão Pará e Alto Amazonas, 1850

Textaktualisierung am 18. Januar 2024

Andere Namen: Maracanã (1897)

Die Indianersiedlung Maracanan lag am linken Ufer des gleichnamigen Flusses, 170 km nordöstlich der späteren Provinzhauptstadt Belém do Pará. Nach der Missionierung und Kolonisierung wurde sie um 1700 zur Freguesia de S. Miguel de Cintra, wiederum nach einer portugiesischen Gemeinde benannt, wie es in Pará üblich war. Das brasilianische Cintra wurde im Juni 1755 eine Vila und im Oktober 1885 eine Stadt, die seit Mai 1897 wieder Maracanã heißt.

Nova Monteiro schreibt in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Nachdruck SPP 1994-1999), dass es dort seit Juni 1860 ein Postamt gab. Eine frühere Meldung in der Provinzpresse vom Juni 1856 gibt jedoch einen Hinweis auf einen – wie auch immer gearteten – Postbetrieb vor Ort:

Treze de Maio, 16.06.1856

CPA-0080b ist der bisher einzige Poststempel aus Cintra im 19. Jahrhundert. Sein Bild lieferte der Philatelist Fuad Ferreira Fo.:

CPA-0080b (FF) 1890
Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Cinco Pontas (train station/Bahnhof), Pernambuco (CPE-0205)

Cidade do Recife, 1906

Cinco Pontas (Five Corners) was the popular name for a pentagonal fortress built in 1630 by the Dutch occupying forces on the island of Santo Antonio near Recife (then Moritzstadt), which was originally called Frederik Hendrik – after an uncle of the commander Moritz von Nassau.

Vingboons Atlas, 1665

During the Portuguese reconquest of Recife in January 1654, this fortress was the last stronghold of the Dutch. It was afterwards called Forte de S. Thiago das Cinco Pontas and was rebuilt in its current form from 1684. Today, the fortress houses the city museum:

JC Imagem

The terminus of the railway company E.F. do Recife ao S. Francisco was inaugurated near the Forte Cinco Pontas in February 1858. The railway line went to Great Western in 1901, to Rede Ferroviaria do Nordeste in 1950 and belonged to Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. from 1975 to 1996 (estacoesferroviarias.com.br). The tracks are still there today, but the station building has fallen into disrepair.

around 1900 (photo: estacoesferroviarias.com.br)
In 2021 (Photo: Rodrigo Henrique, on estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

As reported in the Rio press, a post office was created at the railway station in December 1864:

Constitucional/RJ, 24/12/1864

Apparently, however, it did not operate until May 1873, as can be seen from the Recife press:

Diario de Pernambuco, 31/05/1873

The oldest postmark to date, CPE-0205a, has already been shown to us by R. Koester (Carimbologia XI):

CPE-0205a (RK) 1885-1886

It was followed by CPE-0205b known through P. Ayres in Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942):

CPE-0205b (P.A. p. 121) 1888-1891

The mute cancellation BPA 2369, as illustrated by James Dingler and Klerman W. Lopes in Mute Cancellations of the Brazil Empire / Carimbos Mudos do Brasil Império (Brazil Philatelic Association, Rio de Janeiro, 2000), also comes from the Cinco Pontas station:

BPA 2369
Google Maps

Cinco Pontas (Fünf Spitzen/Ecken) war die volkstümliche Bezeichnung für eine 1630 von den niederländischen Besatzern auf der Insel Santo Antonio bei Recife (damals Moritzstadt) errichtete fünfeckige Festung, die ursprünglich Frederik Hendrik hieß – nach einem Onkel des Kommandanten Moritz von Nassau.

Vingboons Atlas, 1665

Bei der portugiesischen Rückeroberung von Recife im Januar 1654 war diese Festung das letzte Bollwerk der Niederländer. Danach wurde sie Forte de S. Thiago das Cinco Pontas genannt und ab 1684 in ihrer heutigen Form wieder aufgebaut. Heute beherbergt die Festung das Stadtmuseum:

JC Imagem

In der Nähe des Forte Cinco Pontas wurde im Februar 1858 der Endbahnhof der Eisenbahngesellschaft E.F. do Recife ao S. Francisco eingeweiht. Die Bahnlinie ging 1901 an die Great Western, 1950 an die Rede Ferroviaria do Nordeste und gehörte von 1975 bis 1996 der Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. (estacoesferroviarias.com.br). Heute sind die Gleise noch vorhanden, das Bahnhofsgebäude ist dem Verfall preisgegeben.

um 1900 (Foto: estacoesferroviarias.com.br)
2021 (Foto: Rodrigo Henrique, auf estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

Wie die Presse in Rio berichtete, sollte ab Dezember 1864 ein Postamt am Bahnhof seinen Betrieb aufnehmen:

Constitucional/RJ, 24.12.1864

Offenbar geschah dies jedoch erst im Mai 1873, wie aus der Presse von Recife hervorgeht:

Diario de Pernambuco, 31.05.1873

Der bisher älteste Poststempel CPE-0205a wurde uns bereits von R. Koester (Carimbologia XI) gezeigt:

CPE-0205a (RK) 1885-1886

Ihm folgte CPE-0205b bekannt durch P. Ayres in Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942):

CPE-0205b (P.A. S. 121) 1888-1891

Von der Station Cinco Pontas stammt auch der stumme Stempel BPA 2369, wie er von James Dingler und Klerman W. Lopes in Mute Cancellations of the Brazil Empire / Carimbos Mudos do Brasil Império (Brazil Philatelic Association, Rio de Janeiro, 2000) abgebildet wurde:

BPA 2369
Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Cimbres, Pernambuco (CPE-0200)

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) das Provincias de Pernambuco, Alagoas e Sergipe, 1848

Vila de N. Sa. das Montanhas de Cimbres was founded in April 1742, 230 kilometres west of the future provincial capital Recife. The name is reminiscent of a Portuguese community, which today lies in the district of Viseu and has around 300 inhabitants. Cimbres in Pernambuco did not develop very well either and was downgraded to a freguesia of Vila de Sta. Agueda de Pesqueira (now just Pesqueira) in May 1836. It has remained so to this day.

As can be seen from the list of imperial post offices (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885), there had been a post office there since 1874, but it was only opened in July 1876:

Diario de Pernambuco, 22/07/1776

The only imperial postmark to date is the French type CPE-0200a, which was previously seen with dates from around 1888 and was illustrated by P. Ayres in the Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942):

CPE-0200a (P.A. p. 117) 1888ff
Carta Corographica da Provincia de Pernambuco, 1880

Die Vila de N. Sa. das Montanhas de Cimbres wurde im April 1742 gegründet und liegt 230 km westlich der späteren Provinzhauptstadt Recife. Der Name erinnert an eine portugiesische Gemeinde, die heute im Distrikt Viseu liegt und ca. 300 Einwohner zählt. Auch Cimbres in Pernambuco entwickelte sich nicht sonderlich und wurde im Mai 1836 zur Freguesia der Vila de Sta. Agueda de Pesqueira (heute nur noch Pesqueira) herabgestuft. Dabei ist es bis heute geblieben.

Wie aus dem Verzeichnis der kaiserlichen Postämter (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) hervorgeht, gab es dort seit 1874 ein Postamt, das aber erst im Juli 1876 in Betrieb genommen wurde:

Diario de Pernambuco, 22.07.1776

Der bisher einzige kaiserliche Poststempel ist der französische Typ CPE-0200a, der bisher mit Daten ab ca. 1888 zu sehen war und von P. Ayres im Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) abgebildet wurde:

CPE-0200a (P.A. S. 117) 1888ff
Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Cima da Serra, Rio Grande do Sul (CRS-0105)

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia de S. Pedro do Sul, 1847

Other names: São Francisco de Paula de Cima da Serra, Serra

See also São Francisco de Paula (SRS-0310)

São Francisco de Paula de Cima da Serra (on the Mountains) was a district in the municipality of Taquara do Mundo Novo (now Taquara), about 120 km northeast of the provincial capital Porto Alegre. The political emancipation as an independent municipality came in December 1902, and since about 1920 the city has been called only S. Francisco de Paula, although in southern Brazil the pet name São Chico is often used.

According to Nova Monteiro (Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio, in Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) the local post office was established in July 1866.

Only one handwritten cancellation and one seal postmark are known from there under this place name. The first was submitted by the philatelist Mário Celso Orsi Jr, who, however, assigned it to the locality of Cima da Serra de Botucatu in S. Paulo, today Botucatu:

1866ff (MO)

Postmark CRS-0105a (fig. R. Koester, in Carimbologia XI) shows the imperial seal:

CRS-0105a (RK)

For postmarks with São Francisco de Paula see SRS-0310.

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Andere Namen: S. Francisco de Paula de Cima da Serra, Serra

Siehe auch São Francisco de Paula (SRS-0310)

São Francisco de Paula de Cima da Serra (auf dem Gebirge) war ab November 1852 ein Distrikt im Município von Taquara do Mundo Novo (heute einfach Taquara), der ca. 120 km nordöstlich der Provinzhauptstadt Porto Alegre entfernt lag. Die politische Emanzipation als eigenständiger Município kam im Dezember 1902, und seit ca. 1920 heißt die Stadt lediglich São Francisco de Paula, obwohl im Südbrasilien die Koseform São Chico gern und oft angewendet wird.

Laut Nova Monteiro (Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio, in Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) entstand das örtliche Postamt im Juli 1866.

Von dort sind unter dieser Ortsbezeichnung nur eine handschriftliche Entwertung und ein Siegelstempel bekannt. Die erste wurde durch den Philatelisten Mário Celso Orsi Jr vorgelegt, der jedoch meinte, es handele sich um die Ortschaft Cima da Serra de Botucatu in S. Paulo, heute Botucatu:

1866ff (MO)

Der Poststempel CRS-0105a (Abb. R. Koester, in Carimbologia XI) zeigt das kaiserliche Siegel:

CRS-0105a (RK)

Für Poststempel mit São Francisco de Paula siehe SRS-0310.