Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Chapecó, Paraná (CPR-0045)

Estado do Paraná, 1896

Text update on March 1st, 2026

Other names: Campo de Palmas, Passo Bormann, Passo dos Indios

In its relatively short history, the locality has experienced many turbulent times. At times it belonged to the province of São Paulo, at other times to the province of Paraná, was courted by Argentina, was placed in an autonomous region and yet has been part of the state of Santa Catarina for more than a century. 

Settlement began around 1839 as Povoação de Campo de Palmas, 560 kilometres west of the future capital Florianópolis, but still part of the province of São Paulo. In August 1853, it became a colony called Vila de Palmas, which then belonged to the province of Paraná. The territory aroused covetousness in Argentina, which is why the Brazilian Empire established a military colony called Xapecó in November 1859. However, this did not begin operations until March 1882, a sign of political détente.

Three name changes followed. The first in August 1917 as Município de Passo Bormann, already in the state of Sta. The lieutenant José Bernardino Bormann (1844-1919), born in Porto Alegre from a German family, was the colony’s first director. In April 1931, it was renamed Município de Passo dos Indios. This name was obviously not well received, because in March 1938 it was renamed for the third time to Chapecó, as it is still known today. Between 1943 and 1946, Chapecó was in the Território do Iguaçu, an autonomous region created for geopolitical reasons.

The historical turmoil is reflected in the postal system. So far, three creation dates have been found for the local post office, but no postmarks. First in June 1862, as Nova Monteiro writes in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; reprint SPP 1994-1999) and is confirmed by the press in Rio:

Diario do Rio de Janeiro, 18/07/1862

Then again in 1864, as R. Koester (Carimbologia XI) notes. And finally in June 1882, as also reported by Koester and the press in Rio:

Jornal do Commercio/RJ, 27/06/1882

Until now, the only known ‘postmark’ was a handwritten cancellation on a D. Pedro issue from 1866, as mentioned by R. Koester – unfortunately without an illustration. In the meantime, the double circle CPR-0045b (illustration by Alexandre Andrade) has been found:

CPR-0045b (AA) 1892
Mappa do Estado de Santa Catharina, 1907

Texto atualizado em 1º de março de 2026

Outros nomes: Campo de Palmas, Passo Bormann, Passo dos Indios

Em sua história relativamente curta, a localidade passou por muitos momentos de turbulência. Em alguns momentos, pertenceu à província de São Paulo, em outros, à província do Paraná, foi cortejada pela Argentina, estava localizada em uma região autônoma e além disso faz parte do estado de Santa Catarina há mais de um século. 

A colonização começou por volta de 1839 como Povoação de Campo de Palmas, 560 quilômetros a oeste da futura capital Florianópolis, mas ainda parte da província de São Paulo. Em agosto de 1853, tornou-se uma colônia chamada Vila de Palmas, que então pertencia à província do Paraná. O território despertou a cobiça da Argentina, razão pela qual o Império brasileiro criou uma colônia militar chamada Xapecó em novembro de 1859. No entanto, ela só começou a funcionar em março de 1882, um sinal de distensão política.

Seguiram-se três mudanças de nome. A primeira, em agosto de 1917, como Município de Passo Bormann, já no estado de Sta. O tenente gaúcho de origem alemã José Bernardino Bormann (1844-1919) foi o primeiro diretor da colônia. Em abril de 1931, passou a se chamar Município de Passo dos Índios. Esse nome obviamente não foi bem recebido, pois em março de 1938 foi renomeado pela terceira vez para Chapecó, como é conhecido até hoje. Entre 1943 e 1946, Chapecó estava localizada no Território do Iguaçu, uma região autônoma criada por razões geopolíticas.

A turbulência histórica se reflete nos seus correios. Foram encontradas três datas de fundação para o correio local, mas sem carimbos postais. A primeira foi em junho de 1862, como escreve Nova Monteiro em Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; reimpressão SPP 1994-1999) e é confirmada pela imprensa do Rio:

Diario do Rio de Janeiro, 18/07/1862

Depois, novamente em 1864, como observa R. Koester (Carimbologia XI). E, finalmente, em junho de 1882, como também relatado por Koester e pela imprensa do Rio:

Jornal do Commercio/RJ, 27/06/1882

Até agora, o único “carimbo postal” conhecido era uma oobliteração manuscrita em um selo de D. Pedro de 1866, conforme mencionado por R. Koester — infelizmente sem ilustração. Entretanto, agora foi encontrado o círculo duplo CPR-0045b (ilustração de Alexandre Andrade):

CPR-0045b (AA) 1892
Google Maps

Textaktualisierung am 1. März 2026

Andere Namen: Campo de Palmas, Passo Bormann, Passo dos Indios

In seiner relativ kurzen Geschichte hat der Ort viele bewegte Zeiten erlebt. Sie gehörte mal zur Provinz São Paulo, mal zur Provinz Paraná, wurde von Argentinien umworben, lag in einem autonomen Gebiet und ist doch seit mehr als einem Jahrhundert Teil des Bundesstaates Santa Catarina. 

Die Besiedlung begann um 1839 als Povoação de Campo de Palmas, 560 km westlich der späteren Hauptstadt Florianópolis, aber noch zur Provinz São Paulo gehörig. Im August 1853 wurde daraus eine Kolonie mit dem Namen Vila de Palmas, die dann zur Provinz Paraná gehörte. Das Gebiet weckte Begehrlichkeiten in Argentinien, weshalb das bras. Kaiserreich im November 1859 eine Militärkolonie namens Xapecó. Diese nahm jedoch erst im März 1882, als Zeichen der politischen Entspannung, ihren Betrieb auf.

Es folgten drei Namensänderungen. Die erste im August 1917 als Município de Passo Bormann, bereits im Staat Sta. Catarina. Der in Porto Alegre geborene, deutschstämmige Leutnant José Bernardino Bormann (1844-1919) war der erste Direktor der Kolonie. Im April 1931 wurde sie dann in Município de Passo dos Indios umbenannt. Dieser Name kam offensichtlich nicht gut an, denn bereits im März 1938 erfolgte die dritte Umbenennung in die Stadt Chapecó, wie sie heute noch bekannt ist. Zwischen 1943 und 1946 lag Chapecó im Território do Iguaçu, einem aus geopolitischen Gründen geschaffenen autonomen Gebiet.

Die historischen Wirren spiegeln sich im Postwesen wider. Für das örtliche Postamt wurden bisher drei Gründungsdaten, aber keine Poststempel gefunden. Zuerst im Juni 1862, wie Nova Monteiro in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Nachdruck SPP 1994-1999) schreibt und von der Presse in Rio bestätigt wird:

Diario do Rio de Janeiro, 18.07.1862

Dann wieder 1864, wie R. Koester (Carimbologia XI) bemerkt. Und zuletzt im Juni 1882, wie ebenfalls von Koester und der Presse in Rio berichtet:

Jornal do Commercio/RJ, 27.06.1882

Als bisher einziger „Poststempel“ galt eine handschriftliche Entwertung auf einer D. Pedro-Marke von 1866, wie bei R. Koester – leider ohne Abbildung – erwähnt. Inzwischen wurde der Doppelkreis CPR-0045b (Abb. Alexandre Andrade) gefunden:

CPR-0045b (AA) 1892
Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Chapadinha, Maranhão (CMA-0090)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Other names: Chapada das Mulatas

The settlement was originally called Chapada das Mulatas (Hillside of the Mulatines) and was located 240 kilometres south-east of the later provincial capital of S. Luís do Maranhão. In September 1801, it became the Freguesia de N. Sra. das Dores da Chapadinha, which belonged to the Vila de Vargem Grande. Chapadinha has been an independent município since October 1890.

The local post office was established in December 1882, as reported by R. Koester in Carimbologia XI. The only imperial postmark to date is CMA-0090a (illus. R. Koester):

CMA-0090a (RK) 1889
Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia do Maranhão, 1850

Andere Namen: Chapada das Mulatas

Die Siedlung hieß ursprünglich Chapada das Mulatas (Berghang der Mulattinen) und lag 240 km südöstlich der späteren Provinzhauptstadt S. Luís do Maranhão. Im September 1801 wurde sie die Freguesia de N. Sra. das Dores da Chapadinha, die zur Vila de Vargem Grande gehörte. Seit Oktober 1890 ist Chapadinha ein selbständiger Município.

Das örtliche Postamt wurde im Dezember 1882 eingerichtet, wie R. Koester in Carimbologia XI berichtet. Der bisher einzige kaiserliche Poststempel ist CMA-0090a (Abb. R. Koester):

CMA-0090a (RK) 1889
Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Chapada, Maranhão (CMA-0085)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

The history of this settlement begins around 1811 with the construction of a harbour at Fazenda Chapada on the west bank of the Grajaú, 560 km south of the later provincial capital S. Luís do Maranhão. As early as 1817, the Arraial was called S. Paulo do Norte and belonged to the Vila de Pastos Bons. In April 1835, it was elevated to Vila do Senhor do Bomfim da Chapada, which became the town of Grajaú in April 1881.

There are three creation dates for the local post office. They are so close together that they can be safely summarised. The first was at the end of March 1856, as Aureo G. Santos writes in Agências de Correio Criadas e Suprimidas 1851, 1855, 1856 e 1857 (Brasil Filatélico 181, Rio de Janeiro, 1977):

Aureo G. Santos (op. cit.)

The regional press mentions on the other hand 1 April 1856:

Publicador Maranhense, 06/05/1856

And R. Koester indicates 5 April 1856 in Carimbologia XI. The oldest postmark to date is CMA-0085a with the typical shape for the province of Maranhão, which was already presented by P. Ayres in Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) with no. 1276:

CMA-0085a (P.A. 1276) 1856ff

It was followed by the double circle CMA-0085b (illustration from the Internet):

CMA-0085b (EB) 1879
Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da provincia do Maranhão, 1850

Die Geschichte der Siedlung beginnt um 1811 mit dem Bau eines Hafens der Fazenda Chapada am Westufer des Grajaú, 560 km südlich der späteren Provinzhauptstadt S. Luís do Maranhão. Bereits 1817 hieß der Arraial S. Paulo do Norte und gehörte zur Vila de Pastos Bons. Im April 1835 erfolgte die Erhebung zur Vila do Senhor do Bomfim da Chapada, die seit April 1881 die Stadt Grajaú ist.

Es gibt drei Gründungsdaten für das örtliche Postamt. Sie liegen so nahe beieinander, dass man sie getrost zusammenfassen kann. Zum ersten Mal Ende März 1856, wie Aureo G. Santos in Agências de Correio Criadas e Suprimidas 1851, 1855, 1856 e 1857 (Brasil Filatélico 181, Rio de Janeiro, 1977) schreibt:

Aureo G. Santos (op. cit.)

Die regionale Presse erwähnt dafür den 1. April 1856:

Publicador Maranhense, 06.05.1856

Und R. Koester gibt in Carimbologia XI den 5. April 1856 an. Der bisher älteste Poststempel ist CMA-0085a mit der für die Provinz Maranhão typischen Form, der bereits von P. Ayres in Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) mit Nr. 1276 vorgestellt wurde:

CMA-0085a (P.A. 1276) 1856ff

Ihm folgte der Doppelkreis CMA-0085b (Abbildung aus dem Internet):

CMA-0085b (EB) 1879
Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Chácara (CMG-0275) – Chácara (train station/Bahnhof), Minas Gerais (CMG-0276)

Estado de Minas Geraes, 1910

Chácara (estate) was a settlement of the Vila de Juiz de Fora on the south bank of the Cágado, 240 kilometres south of the provincial capital Ouro Preto. In October 1884, it was elevated to the Freguesia de S. Sebastião da Chácara, which has been an independent município since March 1963.

As Paula Sobrinho writes in História Postal de Minas Gerais (Belo Horizonte, 1997), there has been a post office there since October 1882, which is confirmed by the press in Rio:

O Globo/RJ, 28/10/1882

The oldest postmark to date is CMG-0725a, illustrated in R. Koester’s Carimbologia XI:

CMG-0725a (RK) 1882ff

In 1884, the railway station of the E.F. de Juiz de Fora ao Piau, later called Comemdador Filgueiras, was inaugurated. The railway line belonged to E.F. Leopoldina from 1888 until it was closed in 1972. Today, the tracks have disappeared, and the station building has been demolished.

In 1915 (Photo: Album de Juiz de Fora/Albino Esteves, on estacoesferroviarias.com.br)
In 1987: Demolition of the station (ph.: Hugo Caramuru, on estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

As the Rio press reported, a railway station post office was opened in March 1885:

Jornal do Commercio/RJ, 06/03/1885

No postmark has yet been found for the Chácara railway station. It is possible that the old local postmarks continued to be used there.

Estrada de Ferro Leopoldina

Chácara (Landgut) war eine Siedlung der Vila de Juiz de Fora am Südufer des Cágado, 240 km südlich der Provinzhauptstadt Ouro Preto. Im Oktober 1884 wurde sie zur Freguesia de S. Sebastião da Chácara erhoben, die seit März 1963 ein eigenständiges Município ist.

Wie Paula Sobrinho in História Postal de Minas Gerais (Belo Horizonte, 1997) schreibt, gab es dort seit Oktober 1882 ein Postamt, was von der Presse in Rio bestätigt wird:

O Globo/RJ, 28.10.1882

Der bisher älteste Poststempel ist CMG-0725a, abgebildet in R. Koesters Carimbologia XI:

CMG-0725a (RK) 1882ff

1884 wurde der Bahnhof der E.F. de Juiz de Fora ao Piau, später Comemdador Filgueiras, eingeweiht. Die Bahnlinie gehörte von 1888 bis zu ihrer Stilllegung 1972 der E.F. Leopoldina. Heute sind die Gleise verschwunden, das Bahnhofsgebäude wurde abgerissen.

1915 (Foto aus Album de Juiz de Fora/Albino Esteves, auf estacoesferroviarias.com.br)
1987: Abriss des Bahnhofs (Foto Hugo Caramuru, auf estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

Wie die Presse von Rio berichtete, wurde im März 1885 ein Bahnhofspostamt eröffnet:

Jornal do Commercio/RJ, 06.03.1885

Vom Bahnhof Chácara wurde bisher kein Poststempel gefunden. Möglicherweise wurden dort die alten Ortsstempel weiterverwendet.

Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Chã Grande, Pernambuco (CPE-0195)

Arthur D. Ribeiro: Estado de Pernambuco, 1924

From around 1878, Chã Grande was a settlement of the Vila de Gravatá near the east bank of the Ipojuca, 80 kilometres west of the provincial capital Recife. The village became a district around 1910 and has been an independent município since December 1963.

According to the Rio press, there has been a post office there since August 1884.

Diario do Brazil/RJ, 15/08/1884

No imperial postmarks are yet known from Chã Grande.

Google Maps

Chã Grande war ab ca. 1878 eine Siedlung der Vila de Gravatá nah am Ostufer des Ipojuca, 80 km westlich der Provinzhauptstadt Recife. Der Ort wurde um 1910 ein Distrikt und ist seit Dezember 1963 ein eigenständiger Município.

Laut Presse aus Rio gab es dort seit August 1884 ein Postamt.

Diario do Brazil/RJ, 15.08.1884

Aus Chã Grande sind bisher keine kaiserlichen Poststempel bekannt.

Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Chã do Carpina (train station/Bahnhof), Pernambuco (CPE-0190)

Rede Ferroviaria de Pernambuco, 1898 (IBGE)

Other names: Cham do Carpina, Floresta dos Leões, Carpina (1938)

Chã do Carpina station was opened in October 1881 by the railway company E.F. do Limoeiro (which in turn belonged to Great Western do Brasil) and was located in the municipality of Vila de Pau d’Alho, 55 km north-west of the provincial capital Recife. The line changed hands to Rede Ferroviária do Nordeste in 1950 and belonged to Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. (estacoesferroviarias.com.br) from 1975 until the line was closed in 1996. Today, the tracks are still in place and the station building was last used as a lan-house.

In 1915 (photo on estacoesferroviarias.com.br)
In 2021 (photo Rodrigo Henrique, on estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

The area around the railway station became the district of Floresta dos Leões (Lion Forest) in December 1901, a name that was later also given to the station. In July 1909, Floresta dos Leões became an independent município, which has been called Carpina since December 1938. Carpina was also the original landowner of the village, who lived on a hill (chã).

As the press in Rio reported, the decision to set up a railway post office was made as early as October 1882:

O Globo/RJ, 28/10/1882

However, the directory of imperial post offices (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) lists the agency without a founding date, and a local postal employee is only introduced in January 1885:

Diario de Pernambuco, 01/02/1885, minutes of 23/01

In Carimbologia XI, Reinhold Koester describes – unfortunately without an illustration – the first postmark CPE-0190a as a double circle in blue, dated 1889.

Arthur D. Ribeiro: Estado de Pernambuco, 1924

Andere Namen: Cham do Carpina, Floresta dos Leões, Carpina (1938)

Der Bahnhof Chã do Carpina wurde im Oktober 1881 von der Eisenbahngesellschaft E.F. do Limoeiro (die wiederum zur Great Western do Brasil gehörte) eröffnet und lag in der Gemeinde Vila de Pau d’Alho, 55 km nordwestlich der Provinzhauptstadt Recife. Die Strecke wechselte 1950 den Besitzer zur Rede Ferroviária do Nordeste und gehörte von 1975 bis zur Stilllegung der Strecke 1996 der Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. (estacoesferroviarias.com.br). Heute sind die Gleise noch vorhanden, im Bahnhofsgebäude war zuletzt ein Lan-House in Betrieb.

1915 (Foto auf estacoesferroviarias.com.br)
2021 (Foto Rodrigo Henrique, auf estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

Das Gebiet um den Bahnhof wurde im Dezember 1901 zum Bezirk Floresta dos Leões (Löwenwald), ein Name, den später auch der Bahnhof erhielt. Im Juli 1909 wurde Floresta dos Leões ein eigenständiger Município, das seit Dezember 1938 Carpina heißt. Carpina war auch der ursprüngliche Landbesitzer des Ortes, der auf einem Hügel (chã) lebte.

Wie die Presse in Rio berichtete, wurde bereits im Oktober 1882 die Einrichtung eines Bahnhofspostamtes beschlossen:

O Globo/RJ, 28.10.1882

Im Verzeichnis der kaiserlichen Postämter (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) wird die Agentur jedoch ohne Gründungsdatum aufgeführt, und ein Postangestellter vor Ort wird erst im Januar 1885 vorgestellt:

Diario de Pernambuco, 01.02.1885, Protokoll vom 23.01.

Reinhold Koester beschreibt – leider ohne Abbildung – in Carimbologia XI den ersten Poststempel CPE-0190a als Doppelkreis in Blau, datiert 1889.

Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Cezario Alvim (train station/Bahnhof), Rio de Janeiro (CRJ-0340)

Almanak Laemmert, 1892

Text update of January 9, 2025

Cezario Alvim station was opened in August 1886 by the railway company E.F. Cantagallo (Coastal Line) in the Município de Capivary, 100 km east of the capital Rio de Janeiro. The line went to E.F. Leopoldina in 1887 and belonged to Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. (estacoesferroviarias.com.br) from 1975 until it was closed in 1996. Since December 1943, the station has been in the Município de Silva Jardim. The tracks are still there today, but the station building has long since been demolished.

In 2007 (Photo Marcelo Cardozo, on estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

The station commemorated José Cesário de Faria Alvim (1839-1909), a lawyer, landowner and politician who was president of both the imperial province of Rio de Janeiro and the republican state of Minas Gerais. Cesário Alvim is the great-grandfather of the composer Chico Buarque.

Cesario Alvim, 1890 (drawn by Teixeira da Rocha)

As Paulo Novaes writes on agenciaspostais.com.br, there had been a post office at the station since December 1886, and a postmark has meanwhile emerged that is probably the oldest there, the double circle CRJ-0340a (fig. Felipe Piccinini):

CRJ-0340a (FP) 1888

R. Koester had previously shown two imperial seal cancels in Carimbologia XI:

CRJ-0340b (RK)
CRJ-0340c (RK)

CRJ-0340d was added in the early Republic (fig. agenciaspostais.com.br):

CRJ-0340d (PN)
Estrada de Ferro Leopoldina

Textaktualisierung am 9. Januar 2025

Der Bahnhof Cezario Alvim wurde im August 1886 von der Eisenbahngesellschaft E.F. Cantagallo (Küstenlinie) eröffnet und lag im Município de Capivary, 100 km östlich der Hauptstadt Rio de Janeiro. Die Strecke ging 1887 an die E.F. Leopoldina und gehörte von 1975 bis zu ihrer Stilllegung 1996 der Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. (estacoesferroviarias.com.br). Seit Dezember 1943 befindet sich der Bahnhof im Município de Silva Jardim. Heute sind die Gleise noch vorhanden, das Bahnhofsgebäude ist längst abgerissen.

2007 (Foto Marcelo Cardozo, auf estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

Der Bahnhof erinnerte an José Cesário de Faria Alvim (1839-1909), Jurist, Landbesitzer und Politiker, der Präsident sowohl der kaiserlichen Provinz Rio de Janeiro als auch des republikanischen Staats Minas Gerais war. Cesário Alvim ist der Urgroßvater des Komponisten Chico Buarque.

Cesario Alvim, 1890 (gez. von Teixeira da Rocha)

Wie Paulo Novaes auf agenciaspostais.com.br schreibt, gab es im Bahnhof seit Dezember 1886 ein Postamt, von dem inzwischen ein Stempel aufgetaucht ist, der der älteste dort sein dürfte: der Doppelkreis CRJ-0340a (Abb. Felipe Piccinini):

CRJ-0340a (FP) 1888
CRJ-0340b (RK)
CRJ-0340c (RK)

In der frühen Republik kam CRJ-0340d hinzu (Abb. agenciaspostais.com.br):

CRJ-0340d (PN)
Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Cerrito, Rio Grande do Sul (CRS-0100)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Other names: Nossa Sra. do Rosário do Serrito, Cerrito Velho

See also Serrito do Cangussu (SRS-0425)

The old settlement of Nossa Senhora do Rosário do Serrito near Pelotas only in about 1890 became a district in the Município of Cangussu (now spelled Canguçu), located a good 300 km southwest of the provincial capital Porto Alegre. In April 1959, the town transferred as Cerrito to the newly created Município of Pedro Osório and received its administrative autonomy in December 1995.

The local post office came into being in August 1887, as Luís Claudio Fritzen writes in Agencias Postais da Provincia de São Pedro do Sul durante o Império Brasileiro (Rio Grande Filatélico 49, Porto Alegre, 2007). This is confirmed by the report of the Provincial President:

Relatório do Presidente da Província, 1887

The only imperial postmark under this place name so far is CRS-0100a, as shown in Koester’s Carimbologia XI:

CRS-0100a (RK)
Provincia de S. Pedro do Rio Grande, 1877

Andere Namen: Nossa Sra. do Rosário do Serrito, Cerrito Velho

Siehe auch Serrito do Cangussu (SRS-0425)

Die alte Siedlung von Nossa Senhora do Rosário do Serrito bei Pelotas wurde erst ca. 1890 zu einem Distrikt im Município von Cangussu (heute Canguçu geschrieben), der gut 300 km südwestlich der Provinzhauptstadt Porto Alegre entfernt lag. Im April 1959 wechselte der Ort als Cerrito zum neu gegründeten Município von Pedro Osório und erhielt seine Verwaltungsautonomie im Dezember 1995.

Das örtliche Postamt entstand im August 1887, wie Luís Claudio Fritzen in Agencias Postais da Provincia de São Pedro do Sul durante o Império Brasileiro (Rio Grande Filatélico 49, Porto Alegre, 2007) schreibt. Dies wird durch den Bericht des Provinzpräsidenten bestätigt:

Relatório do Presidente da Província, 1887

Der einzige kaiserliche Poststempel unter diesem Ortsnamen ist CRS-0100a, wie im Koesters Carimbologia XI abgebildet:

CRS-0100a (RK)
Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Cedofeita (train station/Bahnhof), Minas Gerais (CMG-0720)

Estações (…) do Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo e Minas Geraes, 1880

Cedofeita station was opened in December 1875 by the railway company E.F. D. Pedro II (Central Line) in the Município de Juiz de Fora on the east bank of the Paraibuna, 240 km south of the provincial capital Ouro Preto. The line was transferred to E.F. Central do Brasil in 1889 and belonged to Rede Ferroviaria Federal S.A. (estacoesferroviarias.com.br) from 1975 until the line was closed in 1996. From September 1923, the station belonged to the Município de Matias Barbosa. Today the station building is an abandoned ruin, but the tracks are still there.

In 1915 (Album of Juiz de Fora, on estacoesferroviarias.com.br)
2010 (Photo: Gutierrez L. Coelho, on estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

Two dates of origin have been found for the station post office. Firstly in January 1876, as Paulo Novaes writes (agenciaspostais.com.br). Then in September 1878, as stated by Paula Sobrinho (História Postal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, 1997) and R. Koester (Carimbologia XI). Koester, however, shows a handwritten cancellation from Cedofeita dated May 1876, which on the one hand contradicts his own information and on the other hand is a hint that the postmark did not arrive at the station in time:

1876 (fig. R. Koester, op. cit.)

The oldest postmark is probably CMG-0720a (fig. R. Koester and Lelio Cimini), which can be seen on the D. Pedro issues from 1866:

CMG-0720a (RK/Lelio Cimini) 1876ff-1878ff

The cancel CMG-0720b was made known by P. Ayres (Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) with no. 1275 and appeared almost simultaneously:

CMG-0720b (P.A. 1275) 1876ff-1878ff

This was followed by the double circle CMG-0720c (illustration from the Internet):

CMG-0720c (EB) 1884-1885

Near the end of the empire finally came CMG-0720d (illustration by R. Koester):

CMG-0720d (RK) 1885-1889ff
E. F. Central do Brasil, 1890

Der Bahnhof Cedofeita wurde im Dezember 1875 von der Eisenbahngesellschaft E.F. D. Pedro II (Hauptstrecke) eröffnet und liegt im Município de Juiz de Fora am Ostufer des Paraibuna, 240 km südlich der Provinzhauptstadt Ouro Preto. Die Strecke ging 1889 an die E.F. Central do Brasil über und gehörte von 1975 bis zur Stilllegung der Strecke 1996 der Rede Ferroviaria Federal S.A. (estacoesferroviarias.com.br). Ab September 1923 befand sich der Bahnhof im Município de Matias Barbosa. Heute ist das Bahnhofsgebäude eine verlassene Ruine, die Gleise sind noch vorhanden.

1915 (Album von Juiz de Fora, auf estacoesferroviarias.com.br)
2010 (Foto: Gutierrez L. Coelho, auf estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

Für das Bahnhofspostamt wurden zwei Entstehungsdaten gefunden. Zuerst im Januar 1876, wie Paulo Novaes schreibt (agenciaspostais.com.br). Dann im September 1878, wie von Paula Sobrinho (História Postal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, 1997) und R. Koester (Carimbologia XI) angegeben. Koester zeigt jedoch eine handschriftliche Entwertung aus Cedofeita vom Mai 1876, was einerseits seiner eigenen Angabe widerspricht, andererseits ein Hinweis darauf ist, dass der Poststempel nicht rechtzeitig am Bahnhof eintraf:

1876 (Abb. R. Koester, a.a.O.)

Der älteste Poststempel ist wahrscheinlich CMG-0720a (Abb. R. Koester und Lelio Cimini), der noch auf den D.Pedro-Ausgaben von 1866 zu sehen ist:

CMG-0720a (RK/Lelio Cimini) 1876ff-1878ff

Fast gleichzeitig erschien der von P. Ayres (Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) mit Nr. 1275 bekannte Stempel CMG-0720b:

CMG-0720b (P.A. 1275) 1876ff-1878ff

Es folgte der Doppelkreis CMG-0720c (Abbildung aus dem Internet):

CMG-0720c (EB) 1884-1885

Am Ende des Kaiserreichs kam schließlich CMG-0720d (Abb. R. Koester):

CMG-0720d (RK) 1885-1889ff
Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Ceará Mirim, Rio Grande do Norte (CRN-0055)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Text update of December 26, 2023

Other names: Extremoz, Boca da Mata

The settlement was originally named after the Portuguese Villa de Extremoz and is said to have been given the name Vila Nova de Extremoz as early as June 1755. As not uncommon in north-east Brazil, the entire settlement was relocated in August 1855 to the former Arraial de Boca da Mata on the south bank of the Ceará-Mirim, 35 kilometres north-west of the provincial capital Natal, and from then on was called Briosa Vila de Ceará-Merim. Ceará Mirim (as it is spelt today) has been a town since June 1882.

As Nova Monteiro writes in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; reprint SPP 1994-1999), there had been a post office there since August 1860. This is confirmed by a report from the provincial president, albeit with the note that this was the relocated Extremoz post office:

Relatorio do Presidente da Provincia, 04/1861

The only postmark from the imperial period to date was CRN-0055b, illustrated by R. Koester (Carimbologia XI):

CRN-0055b (RK) 1887

But in the meantime, an earlier cancel has appeared, which has a good chance of being the first one there, with image provided by Luiz C. Fritzen:

CRN-0055a (LCF) 1860ff

CRN-0055c also appeared in the early Republic (illustration from the Internet).

CRN-0055c (EB) 1893-1894
Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) das Provincias do Rio Grande do Norte e Parahiba, 1848)

Textaktualisierung am 26.12.2023

Andere Namen: Extremoz, Boca da Mata

Die Siedlung wurde ursprünglich nach der portugiesischen Villa de Extremoz benannt und soll bereits im Juni 1755 den Namen Vila Nova de Extremoz erhalten haben. Wie im Nordosten Brasiliens nicht unüblich, wurde die gesamte Siedlung im August 1855 in das ehemalige Arraial de Boca da Mata am Südufer des Ceará-Mirim, 35 km nordwestlich der Provinzhauptstadt Natal, verlegt und hieß fortan Briosa Vila de Ceará-Merim. Seit Juni 1882 ist Ceará Mirim (wie es heute geschrieben wird) eine Stadt.

Wie Nova Monteiro in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) schreibt, gab es dort seit August 1860 ein Postamt. Dies wird durch einen Bericht des Provinzpräsidenten bestätigt, allerdings mit dem Hinweis, dass es sich um das verlegte Postamt von Extremoz handelt:

Relatorio do Presidente da Provincia, 04/1861

Der bisher einzige Poststempel aus der Kaiserzeit war CRN-0055b, abgebildet von R. Koester (Carimbologia XI):

CRN-0055b (RK) 1887

In der Zwischenzeit ist jedoch ein früherer Stempel aufgetaucht, der gute Chancen hat, der erste zu sein. Das Bild stammt von Luiz C. Fritzen

CRN-0055a (LCF) 1860ff

In der frühen Republik erschien auch CRN-0055c (Abbildung aus dem Internet).

CRN-0055c (EB) 1893-1894