Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Quilombo (train station/Bahnhof), São Paulo (QSP-1045)

EFCB-1890

From about 1874 on, Quilombo was a station of the Cia. Ytuana railway at the Jundiaí River in the município of Indaiatuba, which later belonged to Jundiaí, before becoming the actual município de Itupeva, now near the Viracopos International Airport. The name derives from its location within the Fazenda Quilombo, which belonged to the wealthy coffee farmer José Estanislau do Amaral, the grandfather of the renowned Brazilian artist Tarsila do Amaral (1886-1973):

Tarsila do Amaral ca. 1925

The train station had offered postal services by August 1875, according to the local press:

Correio Paulistano, August 3, 1875

QSP-1045a (Coll. José A. Junges) is by now the only known cancel from the Quilombo station: A double circle with the inscription EST. DE QUILOMBO (above), a clover leaf (below), and the date (year 1888) inside.

Diario de São Paulo, April 7, 1875

Quilombo war seit ca. 1874 ein Bahnhof der Companhia Ytuana am Jundiaí-Fluss in der Gemeinde Indaiatuba. Später gehörte er der Gemeinde Jundiaí, und nun ist es im Município de Itupeva, nah am internationalen Flughafen Viracopos. Seinen Namen hat er von der gleichnamigen Fazenda, in der er erbaut wurde, und die dem reichen Kaffeeplantagenbesitzer José Estanislau do Amaral gehörte, dem Großvater der berühmten brasilianischen Malerin Tarsila do Amaral (1886-1973):

Tarsila do Amaral, ca. 1925

Wie aus der Lokalpresse hervorgeht, hatte der Bahnhof schon vor August 1875 Post befördert:

Correio Paulistano, 03.08.1875

QSP-1045a (Samml. José A. Junges) ist bisher der einzige bekannte Stempel aus diesem Bahnhof: ein Doppelkreis mit der Inschrift EST. DE QUILOMBO (oben), dazu ein vierblättriges Kleeblatt (unten) und das Datum innen (Jahrgang 1888).

Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Quilombo, Minas Gerais (QMG-2080)

Atlas do Imperio do Brazil, 1868

Still nowadays in Angola, quilombo means a camp in the woods. Since slave traffic from that African region to Brazil increased throughout the centuries, the name quilombo was currently used whenever refugees organized their hideouts in the Brazilian hinterland. There were at least five important Quilombo villages in Minas Gerais during the Empire, the most important among them being the parish of Nossa Senhora das Dores do Quilombo near Barbacena. Later, it belonged to Independencia and União, and since 1938 it is called Bias Fortes, to celebrate a local politician of the Empire.

Paula Sobrinho and Nova Monteiro disagree about the creation of the Quilombo post office. The former sustains it took place on September 28, 1872, but adds an earlier date (September 14, 1866, according to the Relatorio Postal of 1890), while the latter writes September 17, 1886. Possibly all dates are correct, considering that the Quilombo post office has been closed by May 1872, because no postmaster had been found to run the office under modest financial conditions:

O Noticiador de Minas, May 1st, 1872

Given that the situation has not much changed afterwards, it is possible that the Quilombo post office was closed again between 1872 and 1886.

By now, the only known cancel from Quilombo (QMG-2080a) was used in 1896 and shows a double circle with the local name in-between (above) and a flower-like embellishment (below). The date was placed within the inner circle.

Raphael Lorenzeto de ABreu (CC BY-SA)

Quilombo ist bis heute in Angola ein Begriff für Waldlager. Aus Angola kamen jahrhundertlang unzählige Sklaven nach Brasilien. Darum ist es nicht verwunderlich, dass die Bezeichnung Quilombo immer dann Verwendung fand, wenn geflüchtete Sklaven aus ihren Waldverstecken im brasilianischen Hinterland Siedlungen gründeten.

In der kaiserlichen Provinz Minas Gerais gab es mindestens fünf wichtige Ortschaften, die Quilombo hießen. Die wichtigste davon war Nossa Senhora das Dores do Quilombo, eine Freguesia bei Barbacena. Später wurde sie den Bezirken Independência und União zugewiesen, und seit 1938 heißt sie Município de Bias Fortes, um einen Lokalpolitiker des Kaiserreichs zu ehren.

Über das Entstehungsdatum des Postamtes in Quilombo gibt es bei Paula Sobrinho und Nova Monteiro unterschiedliche Angaben. Erster behauptet, es fand am 28.09.1872 statt, fügt aber ein früheres Datum (14.09.1866, laut Relatório Postal aus 1890) hinzu. Nova Monteiro dagegen schreibt 17.09.1886 als Gründungsdatum. Möglicherweise sind alle diese Daten korrekt, denn das Postamt in Quilombo wurde offenbar kurz vor Mai 1872 geschlossen, da keiner gefunden wurde, der die Agentur bei so niedrigem Ertrag führen möchte:

O Noticiador de Minas, 01.05.1872

Wenn wir davon ausgehen, dass sich später die Postnachfrage nicht wesentlich verändert hat, ist es durchaus möglich, dass das Postamt zwischen 1872 und 1886 wieder geschlossen wurde.

Der einzige bisher überlieferte Stempel aus Quilombo (QMG-2080a) trägt das Datum 1896 und zeigt einen Doppelkreis mit dem Ortsnamen dazwischen (oben) und eine blumenähnliche Verzierung (unten). Das Datum wurde innerhalb des Innenkreises platziert.

Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Queluz, São Paulo (QSP-1040)

Atlas do Imperio do Brazil, 1868

The parish of São João Baptista de Queluz was established near the Paraíba River in the municipality of Lorena at the edge of the São Paulo province in 1803. The post office was installed in 1840 (see Nova Monteiro: Administrações e Agências Postais do Brasil Império 1798-1869, Brasil Filatélico 1834-5, reprint SPP, 1994-99), two years before Queluz was made a Villa. A period of economic stagnation followed, until the arrival of the Estrada de Ferro D. Pedro II railway, in 1874.

Although there was another important town with the same name in imperial Minas Gerais (QMG-2075), the paulista Queluz has at least five slightly different cancels within its early period, which were probably handmade, all of them in black, featuring the locality name in a small rectangle.

QSP-1040a depicts “S.J. DE QUELUS”; QSP-1040b has the inscription “S.J.DEQUELLUS” and was used in 1840; QSP-1040c shows “V. DE S. J DEQUELLUZ” and is known for 1842; QSP-1040d follows with “V.D.S.J.D.QUELLUZ” with examples from 1843 and 1844; and QSP-1040e finishes with “V.S.J.DEQUELLUZ”.

The four last cancels were discovered by Karlheinz Wittig during the BRASILIANA 83 philatelic exhibition in Rio de Janeiro. Having found some Queluz letters in the National Museum, Wittig reported to Rolf H. Meyer who, after observing all cancels himself, asked his son Peter to take pictures of them. The Museu Nacional burned out in September 2019, with all original letters and their Queluz cancels.

QSP-1040f was already registered by Paulo Ayres (#1589). Used from ca. 1850 until ca. 1870:

QSP-1040f – P.A. 1589

QSP-1040g has also a double circle, now depicting solely QUELUZ (above) and a horizontal rhombus (below), formed by four small rhombuses. Dates within the inner circle, between 1882 and 1888.

QSP-1040h is a French-type cancel, a small single circle with a small star between parentheses below. Dates found for 1885 until 1893.

CC BY-SA

Die Pfarrei São João Baptista de Queluz wurde 1803 am Ufer des Paraíba-Flusses im Bezirk Lorena am Rande der Provinz São Paulo errichtet. Das Postamt (laut Nova Monteiro: Administrações e Agências Postais do Brasil Império 1798-1869, Brasil Filatélico 1834-5, Nachdruck SPP, 1994-99) ist aus dem Jahr 1840, zwei Jahre bevor aus Queluz eine Villa wurde. Es folgte eine Periode der wirtschaftlichen Stagnation, bis 1874 der Bahnbetrieb der Estrada de Ferro D. Pedro II nach Queluz anfing.

Obwohl es eine zweite wichtige Queluz in der kaiserlichen Provinz Minas Gerais gab, hatte die paulista Queluz mindestens fünf leicht verschiedene Abstempelungen in ihrer frühen Postzeit, alle in schwarz. Diese Stempel wurden wohl per Hand angefertigt und zeigen den Ortsnamen innerhalb eines schmalen Vierecks.

In QSP-1040a heißt es lediglich “S.J. DE QUELUS”; QSP-1040b hat dagegen “S.J.DEQUELLUS” und wurde in 1840 verwendet; QSP-1040c zeigt “V. DE S. J DEQUELLUZ” und kann für 1842 nachgewiesen werden; es folgt QSP-1040d mit “V.D.S.J.D.QUELLUZ”, gefunden in 1843 und 1844; und zuletzt QSP-1040e bringt noch eine Variante mit “V.S.J.DEQUELLUZ”.

Die vier letzten Abstempelungen wurden von Karlheinz Wittig während der BRASILIANA 83-Philatelieausstellung in Rio de Janeiro entdeckt. Bei einem Besuch im Museu Nacional fielen ihm die Stempel auf Briefen aus Queluz auf. Wittig berichtete dem brasilianischen Händler und Katalogverleger Rolf H. Meyer darüber. Dieser, nachdem er sich die Exponate angeschaut hatte, wies seinen Sohn Peter an, die Stempel abzuzeichnen. Das Museu Nacional brannte in September 2019 aus, und mit ihm auch die Queluz-Originalbriefe.

QSP-1040f wurde bereits durch Paulo Ayres (Nr. 1589) erfasst. Er wurde von ca. 1850 bis ca. 1870 benutzt.

QSP-1040f – P.A. 1589

QSP-1040g hat auch einen Doppelkreis, nun mit QUELUZ (oben) und einer waagerechten Raute (unten); diese wird durch vier kleinere Rauten gebildet. Die Daten im Innenkreis stammen aus den Jahren 1882 bis 1888.

QSP-1040h ist ein “französischer” Stempel, also mit einem kleinen Kreis und dem typischen Stern (in Klammern) unten. Nachgewiesen zwischen 1885 und 1893.

Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Queluz, Minas Gerais (QMG-2075)

Atlas do Imperio do Brazil, 1868

As early as 1683 there was a settlement called Arraial dos Carijós in the region whose capital was São João del Rey. In 1752 it was named the district of Queluz, which became a Villa in 1791 and a town in 1866. According to Nova Monteiro, a post office was installed on March 5, 1829. Since 1934 it is called Conselheiro Lafaiete, a homage to Lafayette Rodrigues Pereira (1834-1917), lawyer, journalist and politician, a most prominent son of Queluz.

Both Ralph Giesbrecht (estacoesferroviarias.com.br) and Paula Sobrinho (História Postal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, 1997) claim the railroad station, which was soon called Lafayette (to avoid confusion with the train station Queluz in São Paulo), was installed there on December 15, 1883. But according to the local press, this date had to be postponed due to bad weather:

A Provincia de Minas, January 4, 1884

The definitive inauguration date for the train station is April 22, 1884 (s. below), and from that time post was carried by rail. From June on, according to Paula Sobrinho, there was an additional post office at the station.

A Provincia de Minas, April 26, 1884

QMG-2075a (Coll. José A. Junges) is the famous cancel V. (i.e. Villa) DE QUELUZ (Paulo Ayres #1182), which circulated at least between 1839 and 1860. One can find often a horizontal pen stroke underneath, and this cancel occurs in black, red, brown and dark blue.

QMG-2075a, Paulo Ayres 1182

QMG-2075b (Coll. José A. Junges) is a wonderful manuscript cancel, easily recognisable through the embellished final Z. It was found between 1861 and 1876.

QMG-2075c (Coll. Marco Morel) is another manuscript cancel, which can be identified as from Minas Gerais, for it clearly shows Queluz/Minas below. Marco Morel wrote a very interesting article about manuscript cancels from Queluz/MG (Die handschriftlichen Entwertungen aus Queluz, in Forschungsbericht 86, ArGe Brasilien, 2019)

QMG-2075d (Coll. José A. Junges) has the typical double circle with QUELUZ above, (MINAS) below and the date within the inner circle.

Darlan P. de Campos (CC BY-SA)

Schon in 1683 gab es seine Siedlung in der Gegend von São João del-Rey, genannt Arraial dos Carijós. In 1752 wurde aus der Siedlung der Distrikt von Queluz, ab 1791 als Villa und ab 1866 als Stadt. Laut Nova Monteiro wurde dort bereits am 5.3.1829 ein Postamt errichtet. Seit 1934 heißt der Ort Conselheiro Lafaiete, eine Hommage an Lafayette Rodrigues Pereira (1834-1917), Jurist, Journalist und Politiker, den berühmtesten Sohn von Queluz.

Sowohl Rolf Giesbrecht (estacoesferroviarias.com.br) als auch Paula Sobrinho (História Postal de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, 1977) behaupten, der Bahnhof dort (der bald Estação Lafayette genannt wurde, um Verwechslungen mit dem Queluz-Bahnhof aus S. Paulo zu vermeiden) wurde am 15.12.1883 eingeweiht. Dieses geplante Datum musste aber, laut Presseberichten, verschoben werden:

A Provincia de Minas, 04.01.1884

Das korrigierte Einweihungsdatum für diesen Bahnhof soll 22.04.1884 heißen (s. Bild). Von nun an war die Post per Bahn befördert, und laut Paula Sobrinho wurde schon in Juni 1884 ein zusätzliches Postamt, diesmal für die Bahnstation, errichtet:

A Provincia de Minas, 26.04.1884

QMG-2075a (Samml. José A. Junges) ist der berühmte Stempel V. (für Villa) DE QUELUZ (Paulo Ayres Nr. 1182), einzutreffen mindestens zwischen 1839 und 1860. Oft hat er einen waagerechten Federstrich unterhalb der Schrift. Diese Abstempelung kommt in schwarz, rot, braun und dunkelblau vor.

QMG-2075a, Paulo Ayres 1182

QMG-2075b (Samml. José A. Junges) ist eine wunderbare Handentwertung, leicht zu erkennen durch the Verzierung am Buchstaben Z am Ende. Bisher gefunden zwischen 1861 und 1876.

QMG-2075c (Samml. Marco Morel) ist eine weitere Manuskriptentwertung, leicht erkennbar als aus Minas, da es klar Queluz/Minas unten zeigt. Marco Morel schrieb einen sehr interessanten Text darüber (Die handschriftlichen Entwertungen aus Queluz, in Forschungsbericht 86, ArGe Brasilien, 2019)

QMG-2075d (Samml. José A. Junges) hat den typischen Doppelkreis, mit  QUELUZ oben, (MINAS) unten, dazu das Datum innerhalb des Innenkreises.

Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Queimados, Rio de Janeiro (QRJ-2145) – Queimados (train station/Bahnhof, QRJ-3545)

Raphael Lorenzeto de Abreu (CC BY-SA)

Queimados was formerly a train station of the Dom Pedro II Railway and has since 1990 the municipality status. A local legend says the Emperor himself named spontaneously the station at its opening on March 29 1858, but this nice story cannot be true, as the name could be read in the local press before that date:


Correio Mercantil, Rio de Janeiro, August 12, 1857

Probably there was nothing but the station at the beginning there, because according to Paulo Novaes (agenciaspostais.com.br), the post office came only in 1863. And by the end of 1866 there was no church in Queimados yet. Anyway, it seems that almost all early imperial cancels are railway ones, given that the development of the village needed more time.

QRJ-2145a (Coll. José A. Junges) was already listed by Paulo Ayres (#1424). Known dates: 1863 to 1868.

QRJ-2145a, Paulo Ayres #1424

QRJ-2145b (Coll. José A. Junges) has a double circle with QUEIMADOS in-between (above) and the date within the inner circle. Used at least in 1877.

QRJ-2145c (Coll. José A. Junges) is similar to the former, but also presents ornamental branches below. Found with 1889 date.

QRJ-2145d (Coll. José A. Junges) was also similar to the formers, but with a rhombus below. Found also in 1889.

QRJ-2145e (from the Internet) is probably the latest Queimados cancel in the Empire. Similar to the others, but presenting a x-Cross with serifs below. The known exemplars are dated between 1889 and 1898.

QRJ-3545a (Coll. José A. Junges) is easily recognizable, for it is the only Queimados cancel which mentions underneath (EST.), for station. The inner circle is doubled. Found examples between 1885 and 1888.

Atlas do Imperio do Brazil, 1868

Queimados war ursprünglich ein Bahnhof der Estrada de Ferro Dom Pedro II und ist seit 1990 ein eigenständiger Município. Eine oft verbreitete Anekdote erzählt, bei der Einweihung des Bahnhofs am 29.03.1858 hätte der brasilianische Kaiser selbst den Ort spontan so genannt. Diese nette Geschichte kann aber nicht stimmen, denn der Ortsname war schon früher in der Lokalpresse zu lesen:

Correio Mercantil, Rio de Janeiro, August 12, 1857

Zu Beginn des Bahnbetriebs gab es wohl sonst nicht viel dort. Laut Paulo Novaes (agenciaspostais.com.br) wurde eine Postagentur erst 1863 errichtet. Und am Ende 1866 gab es immer noch keine Kirche in Queimados. Da die Besiedlung des Ortes Zeit gebraucht hat, darf man annehmen, dass die ersten Stempel der Kaiserzeit aus dem Bahnhofspostamt stammen.

QRJ-2145a (Samml. José A. Junges) wurde bereits durch Paulo Ayres erfasst (#1424). Benutzt wohl vom Betriebsbeginn in 1863 bis mindestens 1868.

QRJ-2145a, Paulo Ayres 1424

QRJ-2145b (Samml. José A. Junges) zeigt einen Doppelkreis mit QUEIMADOS dazwischen (oben) and das Datum im Innenkreis. Bekannt in 1877.

QRJ-2145c (Samml. José A. Junges) ist ähnlich wie vor, hat aber Verzierungen wie gekreuzte Äste unten. Einzutreffen mit Datum 1889.

QRJ-2145d (Samml. José A. Junges) ist auch wie die beiden vorherigen Beispiele, zeigt aber eine liegende Raute unten. Auch in 1889 einzutreffen.

QRJ-2145e (aus dem Internet) ist womöglich der letzte Queimados-Stempel der Kaiserzeit. Ähnlich wie vor, zeigt aber ein schrägstehendes Kreuz mit verdickten Serifen unten. Es sind Exemplare zwischen 1889 und 1898 bekannt.

QRJ-3545a (Samml. José A. Junges) ist leicht erkennbar, denn er zeigt als einziger Stempel unten die Buchstaben (EST.), für Estação, Bahnhof. Der Innenkreis ist verdoppelt. Exemplare gefunden zwischen 1885 und 1888.

Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Queimado, Espírito Santo (QES-0128)

Queimado was the parish of São José do Queimado, created in June 1846, and about 6 léguas northwest from Victoria. (1 légua was approx. 4,8 km). In 1884 it belonged to the new Villa de Cachoeiro de Santa Leopoldina, and since 1943 it is a district of the municipality of Serra.

In 1849 there was a slave riot in Queimado, which was controlled within five days by the Imperial forces of over 50 soldiers and one officer. The few sources report ca. 300 insurgent slaves, ca. 20 of them were killed or wounded.

The earliest notice about a post office in Queimado was dated September 1889:

A Provincia do Espirito Santo, Sept. 07, 1889

Probably this agency was created shortly before. No cancellation found.

Atlas do Império do Brazil, 1868

Queimado war die Pfarrei von São José do Queimado, errichtet im Juni 1846 und etwa 6 léguas nordwestlich von Victoria (1 légua entspricht ca. 4,8 km) entfernt. In 1884 gehörte Queimado zur neu gegründeten Villa de Cachoeiro de Santa Leopoldina, und seit Ende 1943 ist es ein Distrikt des Bezirks Serra.

In 1849 rebellierten ca. 300 schwarze Sklaven in Queimado. Die kaiserliche Armee – über 50 Soldaten und ein Offizier – wurde gerufen, und nach 5 Kampftagen war der Aufstand zu Ende. Die spärlichen Quellen berichten über ca. 20 Tote und Verletzte unter den Sklaven.

Die erste gefundene Pressenachricht über ein Postamt in Queimado datiert von September 1889:

A Provincia do Espírito Santo, 07. Sept 1889

Vermutlich war die Agentur kurz davor errichtet worden. Kein Stempel wurde bisher gefunden.

Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Queimadinhas (train station/Bahnhof), Bahia (QBA-0585)

Queimadinhas was a train station of the E.F. Central da Bahia, installed on January 11, 1885 at the right bank of the Paraguaçu River. The post office of this station must have come soon after, for shortly later it was mentioned in the Bahia press:

Gazeta da Bahia, October 7, 1885

The train station is now abandoned, and Queimadinhas, a suburb of Marcionílio Souza. The only known cancel from that time (QBA-0585a) was taken from Carimbos Postais do Século XIX, by Cicero A. F. Almeida (Museu Postal e Telegráfico, Rio, 1989). We see a double circle with the locality name in-between and a five-leg star below.

IBGE

Queimadinhas war ein Bahnhof der E. F. Central da Bahia, am 11 Januar 1885 an rechten Ufer des Paraguaçu-Flusses fertig gebaut. Das Bahnhofspostamt wird wohl kurz darauf in Betrieb genommen sein, denn bald meldete die Presse aus Bahia:

Gazeta da Bahia, 07.10.1885

Nun ist der Bahnhof längst verlassen, und Queimadinhas wurde ein Vorort von Marcionílio Souza. Der einzig bisher überlieferte Stempel von dort (QBA-0585a) findet man im Carimbos Postais do Século XIX, von Cicero A. F. Almeida (Museu Postal e Telegráfico, Rio de Janeiro, 1989). Er zeigt einen Doppelkreis mit dem Ortsnamen dazwischen und einen fünf-zackigen Stern unten.

Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Queimadas, Bahia (QBA-0583)

A queimada is a place where the woods have been burnt. According to the IBGE, this was the name of two Fazendas near the Itapicuru-Açu River in the region of Jacobina. In June 1884 Queimadas was given the status of a Villa, and the post office must have come shortly after that, because it was already cited in the Almanach do Diario de Noticias for 1885:

Almanach do Diario de Noticias para 1885, Bahia

In February 1886 a Queimadas train station was built on the railroad E.F. Bahia-São Francisco, which soon became very famous, because it was the nearest station to the Civil War of Canudos (1895-98) and played an important role in transport, maintenance and facilities for the government troops. There is an interesting report about Queimadas and its postal services during the war:

Gazeta de Noticias, Rio de Janeiro, Aug 17, 1897

QBA-0583a (Coll. Dieter Kerkhoff) is until now the only known example of a Queimadas cancel. It is violet and has a double circle: the local name in-between and the date within the inner circle. It was dated 1893, i.e. before the Canudos War.

Raphael Lorenzeto de Abreu (CC BY-SA)

Als queimada bezeichnet man in Brasilien niedergebrannten Wald. So wurden laut der bras. Statistikbehörde IBGE zwei Fazendas im Bezirk Jacobina nah am Fluss Itapicuru-Açu genannt. In Juni 1884 wurde aus Queimadas eine Villa. Das Postamt muss kurz darauf entstanden sein, denn es wurde bereits im Almanach do Diario de Notícias für 1885 erwähnt. (s. oben)

In Februar 1886 wurde ein Bahnhof in Queimadas eingeweiht, auf der Eisenbahnstrecke E.F. Bahia-São Francisco. Dieser wurde bald landesweit bekannt, da er am nächsten zur Region stand, wo der Canudos-Bürgerkrieg (1895-8) stattfand. Dadurch wurde dieser Bahnhof eminent wichtig für den Transport und die Versorgung der Regierungstruppen. Es gibt einen interessanten Zeitungsbericht über Queimadas – auch über die Postbeförderung dort – während des Krieges:

Gazeta de Noticias, Rio de Janeiro, 17.08.1897

QBA-0583a (Samml. Dieter Kerkhoff) ist bisher der einzige bekannte Queimadas-Stempel, in  violett. Er hat einen Doppelkreis, den Ortsnamen zwischen den Kreisen und das Datum im Innenkreis. Datiert 1893, also vor Kriegsbeginn in Canudos.

Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Quebrangulo, Alagoas (QAL-0195)

The name Quebrangulo is quite strange even for a Brazilian. According to the IBGE, it has African origin and would mean “Killer of wild pigs”. Originally, this was a settlement of fled African slaves, who organized their living in a quilombo and whose first leader was apparently an expert caititu hunter. Caititu is the Collared peccary (Pecari tajacu), a wild pig of the family Tayassuidae found in North, Central and South America:

fir 0002 flagstaffotos

In 1872, Quebrangulo became a Villa, through emancipation from Assemblea. Aldo Cardoso (Contribuição para a História dos Correios de Alagoas, Maceió, 1969) states the post office there was created in 1874, a date that still has to be confirmed. At the beginning of the Republic, the Villa was named Victoria, but recovered the old designation in 1928.

QAL-0195a (Coll. José A. Junges): is by now the only cancellation found from Quebrangulo: a double circle with the name in-between and the date inside. The known copies were used between 1885 and 1893, a couple of years after the name change to Victoria.

HVL (CC-BY)

Der Name Quebrangulo klingt sogar für einen Brasilianer merkwürdig. Laut IBGE hätte er einen afrikanischen Ursprung und würde „Wildschweintöter“ bedeuten. Der Ort entstand durch eine Siedlung von geflüchteten Sklaven; diese lebten also in einem Quilombo, und ihr erster Anführer soll ein ausgezeichneter Caititu-Jäger gewesen sein. Caititu nennt man den amerikanischen Halsbandpekari (Pecari tajacu), einen Wildschwein der Familie Tayassuidae. (Bild s.o.)

In 1872 erhielt Quebrangulo den Status einer Villa, nach knapp 16 Jahren als Distrikt von Assemblea. Aldo Cardoso (Contribuição para a História dos Correios de Alagoas, Maceió, 1969) schreibt, dass das Postamt in 1874 gegründet wurde; das Datum konnte bisher nicht bestätigt werden. Kurz nach der Ausrufung der Republik wurde der Ort in Victoria umgetauft, aber in 1928 kam der alte Ortsname zurück.

QAL-0195a (Samml. José A. Junges) ist bisher der einzige gefundene Stempel aus Quebrangulo, ein Doppelkreis mit Ortsname dazwischen und Datum in der Mitte. Vorhandene Exemplare von 1885 bis 1893; also ein Paar Jahre nach der Umbenennung auf Victoria.

Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Quatis, Rio de Janeiro (QRJ-1320)

Gabriel Piza Nardi (CC-BY SA)

See also N. S. do Rosário dos Quatis (R. Koester: Carimbologia XXVIII) and Rosario dos Quatis (RRJ-2160)

The South American coati (Nasua nasua, Linnaeus, 1766) is a mammal of the family Procyonidae, which must have been quite abundant near the Serra da Mantiqueira, for it named in 1851 the parish of Nossa Senhora do Rosário dos Quatis, in the municipality of Barra Mansa. This district of Quatis was given his autonomy only in 1991.

R. Koester has already mentioned all known Quatis’ cancellations under “N.S. do Rozario dos Quatis” (Carimbologia XXVIII, Lohmar, 1986). But his date for the creation of the post office (December 7, 1860) should be corrected to December 17, as stated by Paulo Novaes (agenciaspostais.com.br), and confirmed by the Bulletin for the Ministério do Império of December 1860:

Anyway, the Quati post office was eventually closed, for its new opening on April 16, 1864 was reported in the press of the Rio de Janeiro province:

Constitucional, April 19, 1864

Here are three known cancels with Quatis. Other cancels have “N.S. do Rozario dos Quatis” (see Koester XXVIII) or just “Rosario dos Quatis” (see under letter R).

QRJ-1320a (coll. José A. Junges): Double circle with only “Quatis” in-between. Known dates between 1877 and 1882 within the inner circle.

QRJ-1320b (listed in Koester XXVIII). The image in Koester is not quite clear, as one might expect, but there seems to be the seal of the Brazilian Empire under the name “Quatis da Barra Mansa”. Period of use unknown:

after Reinhold Koester; Carimbologia XXVIII, 1986

QRJ-1320c (coll. José A. Junges): Double circle with “Quatis da Barra Mansa” in-between, with an ornament below. Dates from 1889-1902 within the inner circle.

There is also a mute cancellation from Quatis, which is quite similar to Paulo Ayres # 2 and was used at least between 1882 and 1884:

QRJ-1320 mudo, Paulo Ayres #2
Raphael Lorenzeto dos Santos (CC – BY SA)

Siehe auch N. S. do Rosário dos Quatis (R. Koester: Carimbologia XXVIII) und Rosario dos Quatis (RRJ-2160)

Der südamerikanische Nasenbär (Nasua nasua, Linnaeus 1766, Bild oben), ein Säugetier der Familie Procyonidae, heißt in Brasilien Quati und war früher bestimmt oft nahe der Serra da Mantiqueira anzutreffen. Denn nach ihm wurde die Pfarrei Nossa Senhora do Rozario dos Quatis in 1851 benannt, ein Bezirk von Barra Mansa nordwestlich von Rio. Erst 1991 erhielt Quatis den Status eines Município.

Alle bekannten Quati-Stempel wurden bereits von R. Koester vorgestellt (Carimbologia XXVIII, Lohmar, 1986). Allerdings sollte das von ihm genannte Entstehungsdatum dieses Postamtes (07.12.1860) zum 17.12. des Jahres korrigiert werden, wie von Paulo Novaes (agenciaspostais.com.br) angegeben und vom Bericht des Ministério do Império vom Dezember 1860 bestätigt wird:

Wie es dem auch sei, dieses Postamt wurde irgendwann geschlossen und am 16.04.1864 wieder geöffnet, wie die Presse der Provinz Rio berichtet:

Constitucional, 19.4.1864

Von dieser Ortschaft gibt es Stempel mit Angabe „N. S. do Rozario dos Quatis“ (siehe R. Koester XXVIII), oder auch nur „Rozario dos Quatis“ (später bei Buchstabe R zu besprechen). Außerdem:

QRJ-1320a (Samml. José A. Junges): Doppelkreis mit nur “Quatis” dazwischen. Datenangaben (1877-1882) im Innenkreis.

QRJ-1320b (aus Koester XXVIII). Wie zu erwarten wäre, das Bild bei Koester ist etwas verschwommen, aber es sieht nach den kaiserlichen Wappen aus, dazu “Quatis da Barra Mansa”:

Koester: Carimbologia XXVIII (1986)

QRJ-1320c (Samml. José A. Junges): Doppelkreis mit de Angabe “Quatis da Barra Mansa” dazwischen, dazu eine Verzierung unten. Daten – bisher zwischen 1889-1902 bekannt – innerhalb des kleineren Kreises.

Ein stummer Stempel aus Quatis ist auch bekannt, der sehr ähnlich nach Paulo Ayres Nr. 2 aussieht und zwischen 1882 und 1884 benutzt wurde:

QRJ-1320 mudo, Paulo Ayres 2