Categories
Carimbologia A-B

Barra do Pirahy (train station/Bahnhof), Rio de Janeiro (BRJ-0140)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Barra do Pirahy station was inaugurated in July 1864 by the E.F. D. Pedro II railway company (Main Line) and was located at the mouth of the Piraí River in the Paraíba do Sul in the Município of Pirahy, 120 km northwest of the capital Rio de Janeiro. The railway line went to the E.F. Central do Brasil in 1889 and to Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. in 1975 (estacoesferroviarias.com.br). Since 1996 it has been operated by the MRS railway company.

1881 (in estacoesferroviarias.com.br)
2019 (photo Júlio C. Alves, in estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

The settlement around the station continued to grow, becoming a freguesia of S. Benedicto da Barra do Pirahy in November 1885 and a vila in its own município in February 1890.

As Nova Monteiro writes in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999), there had been a post office there since July 1864, before the station was opened. The first postmark is BRJ-0140a which was used until at least 1874 and is already known by P. Ayres in Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) under No. 1231. However, in his illustration the dots to the right and left of the place name are missing, as can be seen from the picture (Coll. José A. Junges):

BRJ-0140a (P.A. 1231 recte JJ)

It was followed by BRJ-0140b (Coll. José A. Junges): a double circle with the inscription B. DE PIRAHY at the top. This postmark also occurs in green and has been found so far with internal dates from 1879 to 1893.

James A. Dingler and Klerman W. Lopes, in Mute Cancellations of the Brazil Empire / Carimbos Mudos do Brasil Império (Brazil Philatelic Association, Rio de Janeiro, 2000), recorded two mute cancellations from Barra do Pirahy, with nos. 279 (also P. Ayres no. 19, found with date from 1879) and 1435 respectively:

BPA 279 (P.A. 19, 1879) – 1435
Almanak Laemmert, 1866

Der Bahnhof Barra do Pirahy wurde im Juli 1864 durch die Bahngesellschaft E.F. D. Pedro II (Hauptlinie) eingeweiht und lag an der Mündung des Flusses Piraí in den Paraíba do Sul im Município von Pirahy, 120 km nordwestlich der Hauptstadt Rio de Janeiro entfernt. Die Bahnlinie ging 1889 zur E.F. Central do Brasil und 1975 zur rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. (estacoesferroviarias.com.br). Seit 1996 wird sie von der MRS-Bahngesellschaft betrieben.

1881 (in estacoesferroviarias.com.br)
2019 (Foto Júlio C. Alves, in estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

Die Siedlung um den Bahnhof wuchs weiter, wurde im November 1885 zur Freguesia von S. Benedicto da Barra do Pirahy und im Februar 1890 zu einer Vila im eigenen Município.

Wie Nova Monteiro in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) schreibt, gab es dort ein Postamt seit Juli 1864 und damit noch vor der Inbetriebnahme des Bahnhofs. Der erste Poststempel ist BRJ-0140a der bis mindestens 1874 benutzt wurde und bereits durch P. Ayres in Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) unter der Nr. 1231 bekannt ist. Allerdings fehlen in seiner Abbildung die Punkte rechts und links des Ortsnamens, wie man aus der Bild (Samml. José A. Junges) entnehmen kann:

BRJ-0140a (P.A. 1231 recte JJ)

Ihm folgte BRJ-0140b (Samml. José A. Junges): ein Doppelkreis mit der Inschrift B. DE PIRAHY oben. Dieser Poststempel kommt auch in grün vor und wurde bisher mit inneren Daten von 1879 bis 1893 gefunden.

James A. Dingler und Klerman W. Lopes registrierten in Mute Cancellations of the Brazil Empire / Carimbos Mudos do Brasil Império (Brazil Philatelic Association, Rio de Janeiro, 2000) zwei stumme Entwertungen aus Barra do Pirahy, mit Nr. 279 (auch P. Ayres Nr. 19, gefunden mit Datum aus 1879) resp. 1435:

BPA 279 (P.A. 19, 1879) – 1435
jmkarlsruhe's avatar

By jmkarlsruhe

Brazilian-German philatelist who lives in Germany since 1981.

Leave a comment