
The Paulo de Almeida railway station was opened in October 1881 by the E. F. Sta. Isabel do Rio Preto railway company (Barra Line). It was located in the municipality of Valença, 150 kilometres northwest of the capital Rio de Janeiro. The railway line was transferred to V. F. Sapucahy in 1889, to Rede Sul-Mineira in 1910, and belonged to Rede Mineira de Viação from 1931 until it was decommissioned in 1961. Today, the tracks have been removed and the station building appears to be used as a residential building (estacoesferroviarias.com.br).

The station was named after Francisco Paulo de Almeida, Baron of Guaraciaba (1826–1901). He was a large landowner, banker and entrepreneur, as well as the richest black man in imperial Brazil and a financier for the construction of the E.F. Sta. Isabel.

As R. Koester writes in Carimbologia XXX, in January 1884 a station post office was created. The oldest postmark is PRJ-1840a (Fig. Felipe Piccinini), on which the station is incorrectly written as Paula d’Almeida:

This was followed by PRJ-1840b (Fig. Luiz C. Fritzen), now with the corrected name:


A estação Paulo de Almeida foi inaugurada em outubro de 1881 pela E. F. Sta. Isabel do Rio Preto (linha da Barra). Ela ficava no município de Valença, 150 quilômetros a noroeste da capital Rio de Janeiro. A linha ferroviária passou para a V. F. Sapucahy em 1889, para a Rede Sul-Mineira em 1910 e pertenceu à Rede Mineira de Viação de 1931 até ao seu encerramento em 1961. Hoje, os trilhos foram removidos e o edifício da estação parece servir como residência (estacoesferroviarias.com.br).

O nome relembra Francisco Paulo de Almeida, Barão de Guaraciaba (1826-1901). Ele era um latifundiário cafeicultor, banqueiro e empresário, além de ser o negro mais rico do Brasil imperial e financiador da construção da E.F. Sta. Isabel.

Como escreve R. Koester em Carimbologia XXX, em janeiro de 1884 foi criada uma agência postal na estação. O carimbo postal mais antigo é o PRJ-1840a (fig. Felipe Piccinini), no qual a estação ferroviária está erroneamente escrita como Paula d’Almeida:

Seguiu-se o PRJ-1840b (fig. Luiz C. Fritzen), agora com o nome corrigido:


Der Bahnhof Paulo de Almeida wurde im Oktober 1881 durch die Eisenbahngesellschaft E. F. Sta. Isabel do Rio Preto (Barra-Linie) eröffnet. Er lag im Município de Valença, 150 Kilometer nordwestlich der Hauptstadt Rio de Janeiro. Die Bahnlinie wechselte 1889 zur V. F. Sapucahy, 1910 zur Rede Sul-Mineira und gehörte von 1931 bis zur Stilllegung im Jahr 1961 zur Rede Mineira de Viação. Heute sind die Gleise entfernt und das Bahnhofsgebäude scheint als Wohnhaus zu dienen (estacoesferroviarias.com.br).

Namensgeber war Francisco Paulo de Almeida, Baron von Guaraciaba (1826–1901). Er war Großgrundbesitzer, Bankier und Unternehmer sowie der reichste Schwarze im kaiserlichen Brasilien und Geldgeber für den Bau der E.F. Sta. Isabel.

Wie R. Koester in Carimbologia XXX schreibt, wurde im Januar 1884 beschlossen, ein Postamt am Bahnhof einzurichten. Der älteste Poststempel ist PRJ-1840a (Abb. Felipe Piccinini), auf dem der Bahnhof fälschlicherweise Paula d’Almeida geschrieben wird:

Es folgte PRJ-1840b (Abb. Luiz C. Fritzen), nun mit dem korrigierten Namen:
