Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Cubatão (train station/Bahnhof), São Paulo (CSP-0410)

E. F. Central do Brasil, 1890

Cubatão station was opened in February 1867 by the São Paulo Railway (Main Line) on the south bank of the Cubatão in the Município de Santos, 70 km south of the provincial capital of São Paulo. The line was handed over to E.F. Santos a Jundiaí in 1946 and belonged to Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. from 1975 until its closure in 1996 (estacoesferroviarias.com.br). Today, the tracks still exist and the station building houses the municipality’s tourist office.

Around 1920 (photo Cacilda Costa, on estacoesferroviarias.com.br)
In 2003 (photo Luiz Rafael de Souza, on estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

The area around the railway station became a district in December 1922 and the Município de Cubatão in December 1948.

As R. Koester writes in Carimbologia XV, there had been a post office at the station since February 1883, but no imperial postmark of Cubatão has been seen so far.

Estações (…) do Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo e Minas Geraes, 1880

Der Bahnhof Cubatão wurde im Februar 1867 von der Bahngesellschaft São Paulo Railway (Hauptlinie) eröffnet und lag am Südufer des Cubatão im Município de Santos, 70 km südlich der Provinzhauptstadt São Paulo. Die Strecke wurde 1946 an die E.F. Santos a Jundiaí übergeben und gehörte von 1975 bis zu ihrer Stilllegung 1996 der Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. (estacoesferroviarias.com.br). Heute sind die Gleise noch vorhanden, das Bahnhofsgebäude beherbergt das Tourismusbüro der Gemeinde.

Um 1920 (Foto Cacilda Costa, auf estacoesferroviarias.com.br)
2003 (Foto Luiz Rafael de Souza, auf estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

Das Gebiet um den Bahnhof wurde im Dezember 1922 zum Distrikt und im Dezember 1948 zum Município de Cubatão.

Wie R. Koester in Carimbologia XV schreibt, gab es am Bahnhof seit Februar 1883 ein Postamt, aber bisher wurde kein kaiserlicher Poststempel von Cubatão gesehen.

Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Cruzeiro, São Paulo (CSP-0405)

Estrada de Ferro Central do Brasil, 1890

Other Names: Conceição do Embaú, Embaú (1903)

See also Cruzeiro/train station (CSP-0406)

The Freguesia de N. Sra. da Conceição do Embaú was founded in February 1846 and belonged to the Vila de Lorena, 210 kilometres north-east of the provincial capital of São Paulo. As an important station on the old Estrada Real, it was elevated to Vila de Conceição do Cruzeiro in March 1871.

With the inauguration of the Cruzeiro railway station in September 1878, around 10 km east of Paraíba do Sul, the decline of the old Vila began. In June 1891, it became a district of the Município de Vila Novais (ex-Cruzeiro railway station, see CSP-0406). The renaming of the new Município in October 1901 to Cruzeiro (or Estação do Cruzeiro, depending on the source) led to a long period of confusion with the District de Conceição do Cruzeiro, which only ended in November 1903 when the district returned to its old name of Embaú.

The decline was unstoppable: Embaú lost its district status in December 1936 and was incorporated into the Município Cachoeira as a rural suburb barely two years later. This in turn was renamed twice: in 1944 to Valparaíba and in 1948 to what is now Cachoeira Paulista.

According to the regional press, there was a post office there from November 1876:

Correio Paulistano, 18/12/1876

The stamps were initially cancelled by hand, as the official postmark apparently did not arrive in time:

1877ff (EB)

Later the French cancellation CSP-0405a was used, which also exists in blue (coll. Fuad Ferreira Fo.):

CSP-0405a (FF) 1884-1885

R. Koester showed in Carimbologia XIV the postmark CSP-0405b, whose attribution is still to be confirmed:

CSP-0405b (RK)

In contrast, CSP-0405c (fig. R. Koester, op. cit.) can be clearly assigned to this vila:

CSP-0405c (RK) 1887-1889
J.M.Ribeiro Lisboa: Provincia de São Paulo, 1884

Andere Namen: Conceição do Embaú, Embaú (1903)

Siehe auch Cruzeiro/Bahnhof (CSP-0406)

Die Freguesia de N. Sra. da Conceição do Embaú wurde im Februar 1846 gegründet und gehörte zur Vila de Lorena, 210 km nordöstlich der Provinzhauptstadt São Paulo. Da sie eine wichtige Station der alten Estrada Real war, wurde sie im März 1871 zur Vila de Conceição do Cruzeiro erhoben.

Mit der Einweihung des Bahnhofs von Cruzeiro im September 1878, etwa 10 km östlich von Paraíba do Sul, begann der Niedergang der alten Vila. Sie wurde im Juni 1891 als Distrikt dem Município de Vila Novais (ex-Bahnhof Cruzeiro, siehe CSP-0406) unterstellt. Die Umbenennung des neuen Município im Oktober 1901 in Cruzeiro (oder Estação do Cruzeiro, je nach Quelle) führte zu einer langen Verwechslung mit dem Distrikt de Conceição do Cruzeiro, die erst im November 1903 endete, als der Distrikt zu seinem alten Namen Embaú zurückkehrte.

Der Niedergang war nicht aufzuhalten: Im Dezember 1936 verlor Embaú seinen Distriktstatus und wurde knapp zwei Jahre später als ländlicher Vorort in das Município de Cachoeira eingegliedert. Dieses wiederum wurde zweimal umbenannt: 1944 in Valparaíba und 1948 in das heutige Cachoeira Paulista.

Aus der regionalen Presse geht hervor, dass es dort ab November 1876 ein Postamt gab:

Correio Paulistano, 18.12.1876

Die Briefmarken wurden zunächst von Hand entwertet, da der amtliche Poststempel anscheinend nicht rechtzeitig eintraf:

1877ff (EB)

Später kam der französische Stempel CSP-0405a, den es auch in blau gibt (Samml. Fuad Ferreira Fo.):

CSP-0405a (FF) 1884-1885

R. Koester zeigte in Carimbologia XIV den Stempel CSP-0405b, dessen Zuordnung noch zu bestätigen ist:

CSP-0405b (RK)

Dagegen ist CSP-0405c (Abb. R. Koester, op. cit.) eindeutig dieser Vila zuzuordnen:

CSP-0405c (RK) 1887-1889
Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Cruzeiro (train station/Bahnhof), São Paulo (CSP-0406)

J.M. Ribeiro Lisboa: Provincia de São Paulo, 1884

Text update of October 9, 2024

See also Cruzeiro (CSP-4605)

Although the Cruzeiro railway station originally belonged to the Vila de Conceição do Cruzeiro, the two post offices are shown separately as they now belong to two different municípios. The station was opened in September 1878 by the railway company E.F.D. Pedro II, S. Paulo line, and was located on the west bank of the river Paraíba do Sul, 220 km north-east of the provincial capital São Paulo. The line was transferred to E.F. Central do Brasil in 1889 and belonged to Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. from 1975 until its closure in 1998 (estacoesferroviarias.com.br). The tracks are still there today, but the station building is closed.

1895 (Photo: N.N. on estacoesferroviarias.com.br)
2020 (Photo: N.N. on estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

The settlement around the railway station grew very quickly and became the Distrito de Estação do Cruzeiro in March 1891, the Município de Vila Novais three months later and the Município de Cruzeiro in October 1901, which was elevated to the status of a town in December 1906.

As the Rio press reported, there had been a post office at the railway station since November 1878:

Gazeta de Noticias/RJ, 13/11/1878

The first postmark is CSP-0406a (coll. FM):

CSP-0406a (FM) 1878-1882

This was followed by the double circle CSP-0406b (fig. R. Koester, in Carimbologia XIV)

CSP-0406b (RK) 1881-1890

CSP-0406c (ill. Luiz C. Fritzen), which also exists in blue, appeared shortly afterwards:

CSP-0406c (LCF) 1883-1897

And at the end of the Empire came CSP-0406d (ill. Felipe Piccinini):

CSP-0406d (FP) 1890

The following mute cancellation has the no. 3399 in Mute Cancellations of the Brazil Empire / Carimbos Mudos do Brasil Império, by James Dingler and Klerman W. Lopes (Brazil Philatelic Association, Rio de Janeiro, 2000). According to R. Koester (op. cit.) it also belongs to the Cruzeiro station:

BPA 3399 (P.A. 114) 1878ff
Estrada de Ferro Central do Brasil, 1890

Textaktualisierung vom 9. Oktober 2024

Siehe auch Cruzeiro (CSP-0405)

Obwohl der Bahnhof Cruzeiro ursprünglich zur Vila de Conceição do Cruzeiro gehörte, werden die beiden Postämter getrennt dargestellt, da sie heute zu zwei verschiedenen Municípios gehören. Der Bahnhof wurde im September 1878 von der Eisenbahngesellschaft E.F. D. Pedro II, S. Paulo-Linie, eröffnet und lag am Westufer des Flusses Paraíba do Sul, 220 km nordöstlich der Provinzhauptstadt São Paulo. Die Strecke ging 1889 an die E.F. Central do Brasil über und gehörte von 1975 bis zu ihrer Stilllegung 1998 der Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. (estacoesferroviarias.com.br). Heute sind die Gleise noch vorhanden, das Bahnhofsgebäude ist geschlossen.

1895 (Foto: N.N. auf estacoesferroviarias.com.br)
2020 (Foto: N.N. auf estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

Die Siedlung um den Bahnhof wuchs sehr schnell und wurde im März 1891 zum Distrito de Estação do Cruzeiro, drei Monate später zum Município de Vila Novais und im Oktober 1901 zum Município de Cruzeiro, das im Dezember 1906 zur Stadt erhoben wurde.

Wie die Presse von Rio berichtete, gab es seit November 1878 ein Postamt am Bahnhof:

Gazeta de Noticias/RJ, 13.11.1878

Der erste Stempel ist CSP-0406a (Samml. FM):

CSP-0406a (FM) 1878-1882

Es folgte der Doppelkreis CSP-0406b (Abb. R. Koester, in Carimbologia XIV):

CSP-0406b (RK) 1881-1890

Kurz darauf erschien auch CSP-0406c (Abb. Luiz C. Fritzen), den es auch in blau gibt:

CSP-0406c (LCF) 1883-1897

Und am Ende des Kaiserreichs kam noch CSP-0406d (Abb. Felipe Piccinini):

CSP-0406d (FP) 1890

Der folgende stumme Stempel hat die Nr. 3399 in Mute Cancellations of the Brazil Empire / Carimbos Mudos do Brasil Império, von James Dingler und Klerman W. Lopes (Brazil Philatelic Association, Rio de Janeiro, 2000). Nach R. Koester (op. cit.) gehört er auch zum Bahnhof Cruzeiro:

BPA 3399 (P.A. 114) 1878ff
Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Cruz (train station/Bahnhof), Rio de Janeiro (CRJ-0415)

Almanak Laemmert, 1892

Other names: Pedro Carlos (around 1890)

Cruz station was opened in June 1885 by the railway company E.F. Sta. Isabel do Rio Preto Barra Line) and was located 160 km north-west of the capital Rio de Janeiro in the Município de Valença. The line changed hands to V.F. Sapucahy in 1889. At this time, the station was renamed Pedro Carlos in honour of the engineer who was responsible for building the line. In 1910, the line changed hands again, this time to Rede Sul-Mineira, and belonged to Rede Mineira de Viação from 1931 until it was closed in 1961. Today, the tracks have been removed and the station building serves as a residential building in the Distrito de Conservatória near Valença.

In 2016 (Photo: Fernando Marietan, on estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

According to press reports from the capital, there had been a post office in the station since January 1887:

O Paiz, 05/02/1887

According to Paulo Novaes (agenciaspostais.com.br), the post office was closed “around 1889”.

The oldest postmark is CRJ-0415a (fig. R. Koester, in Carimbologia XIV):

RJ-0415a (RK) 1887-1889

Koester (op. cit.) also shows the postmark CRJ-0415b, without further details:

CRJ-0415b (RK)
agenciaspostais.com.br

Andere Namen: Pedro Carlos (um 1890)

Der Bahnhof Cruz wurde im Juni 1885 von der Eisenbahngesellschaft E.F. Sta. Isabel do Rio Preto Barra-Linie) eröffnet und lag 160 km nordwestlich der Hauptstadt Rio de Janeiro im Município de Valença. Die Strecke wechselte 1889 den Besitzer zu V.F. Sapucahy. Zu dieser Zeit wurde der Bahnhof in Pedro Carlos umbenannt, zu Ehren des Ingenieurs, der für den Bau der Strecke verantwortlich war. Im Jahr 1910 wechselte die Strecke erneut den Besitzer, diesmal Rede Sul-Mineira, und gehörte von 1931 bis zu ihrer Stilllegung im Jahr 1961 der Rede Mineira de Viação. Heute sind die Gleise entfernt, das Bahnhofsgebäude dient als Wohnhaus im Distrito de Conservatória bei Valença.

2016 (Foto: Fernando Marietan, auf estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

Wie die Presse aus der Hauptstadt berichtet, gab es im Bahnhof seit Januar 1887 ein Postamt:

O Paiz, 05.02.1887

Laut Paulo Novaes (agenciaspostais.com.br) wurde das Postamt “um 1889” geschlossen.

Der älteste Poststempel ist CRJ-0415a (Abb. R. Koester, in Carimbologia XIV):

RJ-0415a (RK) 1887-1889

Koester (op. cit.) zeigt auch den Siegelstempel CRJ-0415b, ohne weitere Details:

CRJ-0415b (RK)
Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Cruz Alta, Rio Grande do Sul (CRS-0135)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Other names: Santa Teresa

The Indian settlement of Santa Teresa, founded by Spanish Jesuits in 1634, was destroyed by Portuguese invaders. It was not until October 1832 that the Freguesia do Divino Espírito Santo da Cruz Alta was founded there, 350 kilometres northwest of the provincial capital Porto Alegre. Five months later, Cruz Alta was declared a Vila and in April 1879 a city.

As Nova Monteiro writes in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; reprint SPP 1994-1999), there had been a post office there since October 1831. This was probably closed during the Farroupilha Uprising (1835-1845) and only reopened in December 1845, as R. Koester reports in Carimbologia XIV. This is confirmed by the official Yearbook of Politics, History and Statistics of the following year:

Annuario Politico, Historico e Estatistico, 1846

The oldest “postmark” is a handwritten cancellation on a D. Pedro issue from 1866 (Fuad Ferreira Fo. Collection):

1866ff (FF)

CRS-0135b (image by Claudio Coelho) followed from ca. 1877:

CRS-0135b (CC) 1877-1883

Then came the well-known CRS-0135c (illustration from the Internet):

CRS-0135c (EB) 1885-1891

James Dingler and Klerman W. Lopes show in Mute Cancellations of the Brazil Empire / Carimbos Mudos do Brasil Império (Brazil Philatelic Association, Rio de Janeiro, 2000) a mute cancellation, registered under no. 3300:

BPA 3300, 1876ff-1883ff
Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia de São Pedro do Sul, 1847

Andere Namen: Santa Teresa

Die von spanischen Jesuiten 1634 gegründete Indianersiedlung Santa Teresa wurde von portugiesischen Invasoren zerstört. Erst im Oktober 1832 wurde dort, 350 km nordwestlich der Provinzhauptstadt Porto Alegre, die Freguesia do Divino Espírito Santo da Cruz Alta gegründet. Fünf Monate später wurde Cruz Alta zur Vila und im April 1879 zur Stadt erklärt.

Wie Nova Monteiro in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) schreibt, gab es dort seit Oktober 1831 ein Postamt. Dieses wurde wahrscheinlich während des Farroupilha-Aufstandes (1835-1845) geschlossen und erst im Dezember 1845 wieder eröffnet, wie R. Koester in Carimbologia XIV berichtet. Dies wird durch das offizielle Jahrbuch für Politik, Geschichte und Statistik des folgenden Jahres bestätigt:

Annuario Politico, Historico e Estatistico, 1846

Als ältester “Poststempel” muss noch eine handschriftliche Entwertung auf einer D. Pedro-Ausgabe von 1866 herhalten (Samml. Fuad Ferreira Fo.):

1866ff (FF)

Ab ca. 1877 folgte CRS-0135b (Abb. Claudio Coelho):

CRS-0135b (CC) 1877-1883

Danach kam die bekannte CRS-0135c (Abb. aus dem Internet):

CRS-0135c (EB) 1885-1891

James Dingler und Klerman W. Lopes zeigen in Mute Cancellations of the Brazil Empire / Carimbos Mudos do Brasil Império (Brazil Philatelic Association, Rio de Janeiro, 2000) auch eine stumme Entwertung, die unter Nr. 3300 registriert ist:

BPA 3300, 1876ff-1883ff
Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Crumarim, Município Neutro (CMN-0410)

Mappa do Municipio Neutro, ca. 1880

Other names: Grumari

Here we have another locality that makes you wonder why a post office was set up here of all places, especially as only 167 inhabitants were counted in 2010. Crumarim (now Grumari) was an idyllic beach settlement in the Freguesia de Guaratiba, 50 kilometres west of the capital Rio de Janeiro. Since July 1981, it has been a district of the administrative region (Região Administrativa) of Barra da Tijuca. The name refers to a plant (Eisenbeckia febrifuga) from the cabbage family (Rutaceae).

Eisenbeckia febrifuga (Photo: Ruth Ripley, on biodiversity4all.org)

R. Koester writes in Carimbologia XIV that there has been a post office there since January 1887. This is confirmed by the press in Rio:

O Paiz, 05/02/1887

According to P. Novaes (agenciaspostais.com.br), the agency was closed “around 1940”. No imperial postmark from Crumarim has yet been found.

Google Maps

Andere Namen: Grumari

Hier haben wir wieder einen Ort, bei dem man sich fragt, warum ausgerechnet hier ein Postamt eingerichtet wurde, zumal noch 2010 nur 167 Einwohner gezählt wurden. Crumarim (heute Grumari) war eine idyllische Strandsiedlung in der Freguesia de Guaratiba, 50 km westlich der Hauptstadt Rio de Janeiro. Seit Juli 1981 ist es ein Stadtteil der Verwaltungsregion (Região Administrativa) Barra da Tijuca. Der Name bezieht sich auf eine Pflanze (Eisenbeckia febrifuga) aus der Familie der Kohlgewächse (Rutaceae).

Eisenbeckia febrifuga (Foto: Ruth Ripley, auf biodiversity4all.org)

R. Koester schreibt in Carimbologia XIV, dass es dort seit Januar 1887 ein Postamt gab. Dies wird von der Presse in Rio bestätigt:

O Paiz, 05.02.1887

Laut P. Novaes (agenciaspostais.com.br) wurde die Agentur „um 1940“ geschlossen. Bisher wurde kein kaiserlicher Poststempel aus Crumarim gefunden.

Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Cruangy, Pernambuco (CPE-0220)

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) das Provincias de Pernambuco, Alagoas e Sergipe, 1848

The village was named after a nearby sugar factory in the Vila de Itambé and was located 100 kilometres northwest of the provincial capital Recife. In April 1879, it became the Freguesia de N. Sa. do Rosário de Cruangy, which now belonged to the Vila de Timbaúba. It has remained so to this day.

The list of imperial post offices (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) shows that there had been a post office there since 1873. However, it was only opened in January 1877, as can be seen from the regional press:

Diario de Pernambuco, 04/01/1877

The oldest postmark to date is CPE-0220a (Fig. Jorge Pedreira):

CPE-0220a (JP) 1888ff
Carta Corographica da Provincia de Pernambuco, 1880

Der Ort wurde nach einer nahe gelegenen Zuckerfabrik in der Vila de Itambé benannt und lag 100 km nordwestlich der Provinzhauptstadt Recife. Im April 1879 wurde es zur Freguesia de N. Sa. do Rosário de Cruangy, die nun zur Vila de Timbaúba gehörte. So ist es bis heute geblieben.

Aus dem Verzeichnis der kaiserlichen Postämter (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) geht hervor, dass es dort seit 1873 ein Postamt gab. Es wurde jedoch erst im Januar 1877 eröffnet, wie aus der regionalen Presse hervorgeht:

Diario de Pernambuco, 04.01.1877

Der bisher älteste Poststempel ist CPE-0220a (Abb. Jorge Pedreira):

CPE-0220a (JP) 1888ff
Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Crixás, Goiás (CGO-0052)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Kirixás was the name of an Indian tribe after which the Crixá-Açu and Crixá-Mirim rivers are named, around 200 kilometres north of the later provincial capital of Goyaz (now Goiás Velho). In January 1755, the Freguesia de N. Sra. da Conceição de Crixás was founded there, which belonged to the Vila de Pilar. In December 1943, Crixás became a district of the Município de Itacê and in October 1953 it became the Município de Crixás.

As Nova Monteiro wrote in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; reprint SPP 1994-1999), there had been a post office there since March 1829. This was closed in January 1851, as Aureo G. Santos reports in Agências de Correio Criadas e Suprimidas 1851, 1855, 1856 e 1857 (Brasil Filatélico 181, Rio de Janeiro, 1977).

Aureo G. Santos (op. cit.)

So far, no imperial postmark of Crixás has been found.

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia de Goyaz, 1849

Kirixás war der Name eines Indianerstammes, nach dem die Flüsse Crixá-Açu und Crixá-Mirim benannt sind, etwa 200 km nördlich der späteren Provinzhauptstadt Goyaz (heute Goiás Velho). Im Januar 1755 wurde dort die Freguesia de N. Sra. da Conceição de Crixás gegründet, die zur Vila de Pilar gehörte. Im Dezember 1943 wurde Crixás ein Distrikt des Município de Itacê und im Oktober 1953 wurde daraus das Município de Crixás.

Wie Nova Monteiro in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) schrieb, gab es dort seit März 1829 ein Postamt. Dieses wurde im Januar 1851 geschlossen, wie Aureo G. Santos in Agências de Correio Criadas e Suprimidas 1851, 1855, 1856 e 1857 (Brasil Filatélico 181, Rio de Janeiro, 1977) berichtet.

Aureo G. Santos (op. cit.)

Bisher wurde kein kaiserlicher Poststempel von Crixás gefunden.

Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Cravinhos (train station/Bahnhof), São Paulo (CSP-0400)

Cia. Mogyana, 1958 (IBGE)

Cravinhos railway station was opened in November 1883 by the E.F. Mogyana railway company in the Município de Ribeirão Preto, 300 km north of the provincial capital of São Paulo. Cravinhos, originally a fazenda in the region, became a district in April 1893, a município in July 1897 and a town in December 1906. The railway line was closed in 1964 and the tracks have disappeared, but the station building is currently being restored to make way for a cultural centre for the municipality.

Around 1908 (Photo: Album of the Cia. Mogyana, on estacoesferroviarias.com.br)
March 2022 (Photo: Prefeitura de Cravinhos)

As the Rio press reported, there had been a post office at the railway station since August 1881:

Jornal do Commercio/RJ, 01/09/1881

The oldest postmark to date is the French type CSP-0400a (image from the Internet)

CSP-0400a (SB) 1888-1897

At the beginning of the Republic, a handwritten cancellation was also used (image by Mário Celso Orsi Jr.)

1890ff (MO)
Estado de São Paulo, 1910

Der Bahnhof Cravinhos wurde im November 1883 von der Eisenbahngesellschaft E.F. Mogyana eröffnet im Município de Ribeirão Preto, 300 km nördlich der Provinzhauptstadt São Paulo. Cravinhos, ursprünglich eine Fazenda in der Region, wurde im April 1893 zum Distrikt, im Juli 1897 zum Município und im Dezember 1906 zur Stadt. Die Eisenbahnlinie wurde 1964 stillgelegt, die Gleise sind verschwunden, aber das Bahnhofsgebäude wird derzeit restauriert, um Platz für ein Kulturzentrum der Gemeinde zu schaffen.

Um 1908 (Foto: Album der Cia. Mogyana, auf estacoesferroviarias.com.br)
Im März 2022 (Foto: Prefeitura de Cravinhos)

Wie die Presse von Rio berichtete, gab es seit August 1881 ein Postamt am Bahnhof:

Jornal do Commercio/RJ, 01.09.1881

Der bisher älteste Poststempel ist der französische Typ CSP-0400a (Bild aus dem Internet)

CSP-0400a (SB) 1888-1897

Zu Beginn der Republik wurde auch eine handschriftliche Entwertung verwendet (Abb. Mário Celso Orsi Jr.)

1890ff (MO)
Categories
Carimbologia C-D

Crato, Ceará (CCE-0125)

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia do Ceará, 1849

Other names: Miranda, Aldeia do Brejo Grande

In 1743, the Franciscan mission Miranda began in the Chapada do Araripe, 500 kilometres south of the later provincial capital Fortaleza. In August 1763, it became the Vila do Crato na Aldeia do Brejo Grande, which was elevated to town status almost 100 years later, in October 1853.

Both Nova Monteiro in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; reprint SPP 1994-1999) and R. Koester (Carimbologia XIV) write that there had been a post office there since August 1846. However, the regional press mentions a local post office employee as early as 1839:

Correio da Assembleia Provincial, 02.11.1839, minutes of 16.09

The oldest postmark to date is CCE-0125b, already known from P. Ayres (Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) with no. 1283;

CCE-0125b (P.A. 1283) 1877ff-1883

It was followed by the double circle CCE-0125c (illus. from the internet):

CCE-0125c (EB) 1885-1891

Koester (op. cit.) also shows the seal cancel CCE-0125d:

CCE-0125d (RK)
Carta da Capitania do Ceará, 1818

Andere Namen: Miranda, Aldeia do Brejo Grande

1743 begann die Franziskaner-Mission Miranda in der Chapada do Araripe, 500 km südlich der späteren Provinzhauptstadt Fortaleza. Im August 1763 wurde daraus die Vila do Crato na Aldeia do Brejo Grande, die knapp 100 Jahre später, im Oktober 1853, zur Stadt erhoben wurde.

Sowohl Nova Monteiro in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) als auch R. Koester (Carimbologia XIV) schreiben, dass es dort seit August 1846 ein Postamt gab. In der regionalen Presse ist jedoch bereits 1839 von einem Postangestellten vor Ort die Rede:

Correio da Assembleia Provincial, 02.11.1839, Protokoll vom 16.09

Der bisher älteste Poststempel ist CCE-0125b, bereits bekannt durch P. Ayres (Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) mit Nr. 1283;

CCE-0125b (P.A. 1283) 1877ff-1883

Ihm folgte der Doppelkreis CCE-0125c (Abb. aus dem Internet):

CCE-0125c (EB) 1885-1891

Koester (op. cit.) zeigt auch den Siegelstempel CCE-0125d:

CCE-0125d (RK)