Categories
Carimbologia S

Soure, Ceará (SCE-0330)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Another name: Caucaia

Vila Nova de Soure was the name of the town as early as 1759. It was only a good 15 km west of the future provincial capital Fortaleza. This proximity did the settlement no good; it was relegated four times as a district of the capital (1833, 1835, 1870 and 1898), only to rise again four times as a vila (1833, 1860, 1878 and 1903). Since December 1943, the Município has been called Caucaia. The word from the Indian language means burnt forest.

As can be read in the press from Rio de Janeiro, there was a post office there since October 1887:

Jornal do Commercio/RJ, 19.10.1887

However, the place was already mentioned in postal routes of the 1870s. Possibly there had been a postal agency there for a short period of time. So far, no postmark from the imperial period could be identified with certainty for this locality.

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia do Ceará, 1849

Anderer Name: Caucaia

Vila Nova de Soure hieß bereits 1759 der Ort, der nur gut 15 km westlich der künftigen Provinzhauptstadt Fortaleza entfernt lag. Diese Nähe tat der Siedlung nichts Gutes, sie stieg viermal als Distrikt der Hauptstadt ab (1833, 1835, 1870 und 1898), um auch viermal als Vila wieder aufzusteigen (1833, 1860, 1878 und 1903). Seit Dezember 1943 heißt der Município Caucaia. Das Wort aus der Indianersprache bedeutet abgebrannter Wald.

Wie in der Presse aus Rio de Janeiro zu lesen ist, gab es dort ein Postamt seit Oktober 1887:

Jornal do Commercio/RJ, 19.10.1887

Allerdings wurde der Ort bereits in Postrouten der 1870er Jahre erwähnt. Womöglich hatte es dort früher eine Postagentur für eine kurze Periode gegeben. Bisher konnte kein Poststempel aus der Kaiserzeit mit Sicherheit für diese Ortschaft identifiziert werden.

Categories
Carimbologia S

Soure, Bahia (SBA-0720)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Another name: Nova Soure (1944)

The Freguesia of Nossa Senhora da Conceição do Soure was created in May 1758 by royal decree (Provisão Real) and was located close to the south bank of the river Itapicuru, 250 km north of the future provincial capital Salvador da Bahia. Just 9 months later, the place was a villa. Later, it was twice demoted to the district of Cipó: in July 1931 and in December 1943. In between – more precisely in July 1935 – Soure became a Município. Political autonomy returned in June 1944, now under the name of Nova Soure.

Two dates of origin for the local post office were found, 1872 and 1875, both documented by the provincial president’s report:

Relatorio do Presidente da Provincia, 03/1872
Relatorio do Conselho do Governo, 1876

An early postmark has been found, certainly not the first: SBA-0720b (image from the internet) is a double circle with the inscriptions SOURE above and (BAHIA) below. The only known example has a date from 1903 in the middle.

Villiers de l’Ile Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia da Bahia, 1848

Anderer Name: Nova Soure (1944)

Die Freguesia von Nossa Senhora da Conceição do Soure entstand im Mai 1758 durch königliche Verfügung (Provisão Real) und lag nah am Südufer des Flusses Itapicuru, 250 km nördlich der künftgen Provinzhauptstadt Salvador da Bahia entfernt. Bereits 9 Monaten später war der Ort eine Villa. Später wurde er zweimal zum Distrikt von Cipó degradiert: im Juli 1931 und im Dezember 1943. Dazwischen – genauer im Juli 1935 – wurde Soure ein Município. Auch im Juni 1944 kam der politische Aufstieg, nun unter dem Namen Nova Soure.

Zwei Entstehungstermine fürs örtliche Postamt wurden gefunden, 1872 und 1875, jeweils durch den Bericht des Provinzpräsidenten dokumentiert:

Relatorio do Presidente da Provincia, 03/1872
Relatorio do Conselho do Governo, 1876

Ein früher Poststempel wurde gefunden, sicher nicht der erste: SBA-0720b (Abb. aus dem Internet) ist ein Doppelkreis mir den Inschriften SOURE oben und (BAHIA) unten. Das einzig bekannte Exemplar hat ein Datum aus 1903 in der Mitte.

Categories
Carimbologia S

Sorocaba, São Paulo (SSP-1395) – Sorocaba (train station/Bahnhof), São Paulo (SSP-1396)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Another name: Nossa Senhora da Ponte de Sorocaba

The freguesia of Nossa Senhora da Ponte de Sorocaba (Our Lady of Sorocaba Bridge) was established as early as 1654 and was located on the west bank of the Sorocaba River, 100 km west of the future provincial capital of São Paulo. The town grew very quickly and soon became Brazil’s most important transhipment point for livestock. In March 1661 Sorocaba rose to the status of a villa and in February 1842 to that of a city.  The local railway station was inaugurated in July 1875 by the E.F. Sorocabana railway company and remained in operation until 1998, after changing hands several times: to the Cia. União Sorocabana e Ytuana (1892), Sorocabana Railway (1907), back to E.F. Sorocabana (1919) and finally to FEPASA (1971).

Two creation dates for the local post office have been found. Nova Monteiro, in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) writes October 1839 for it, while the agency is listed in the Imperial Mail Register (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) from 1846. According to this, it would have been closed in between. However, the RHM catalogue reports pre-philatelic postmarks from Sorocaba that would have been in circulation as early as around 1827. A third, earliest post office opening seems to be proven by this.

The earliest postmark is therefore SSP-1395a, as illustrated in the RHM catalogue:

SSP-1395a (RHM P-SP-54) 1827-1829

It was followed by two postmarks, SSP-1395b and SSP-1395c, which also occur in red and were introduced to us by Paulo Ayres in Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) under Nos. 1505 and 1504 respectively:

SSP-1395b (P.A. 1505, RHM P-SP-55) 1829-1864
SSP-1395c (P.A. 1504) 1844ff-1866ff

The following cancels are double circles. SSP-1395d also exists in blue and was also introduced by P. Ayres:

SSP-1395d (P.A. p. 118) 1868-1880

On SSP-1395e (Coll. Mario Celso Orsi Jr.) the above inscription is SOROCABA. The cancel also appears in violet, and the inner dates go from 1881 to 1890. SSP-1395f (Coll. José A. Junges) has the same inscription at the top, with a five-pointed star at the bottom. Dates: 1885-1888. SSP-1395g (Coll.José A. Junges) also has the same inscription at the top, but now reads (S.PAULO) at the bottom. Dates: 1885-1897. SSP-1395h (Coll. José A. Junges) has a cruciform ornament at the bottom, with the same inscription at the top. Dated 1889-1894 in the centre. SSP-1396a (Coll. Mario Celso Orsi Jr.) was intended for ambulant mail service in railway carriages. The double circle reads SOROCABA above and (C.A.) below, for Correio Ambulante. Dated 1885-1887 in the centre.

Below the many “mute” postmarks from Imperial Sorocaba, two have already been presented by P. Ayres (op. cit.) under Nos. 288 and 746:

P. Ayres 288 (Coll. M. Orsi Jr.) 1866ff
P. Ayres 746 (Coll. José A. Junges) 1866ff-1883

Two further postmarks were given the nos. 3023 and 3110 in Mute Cancellations of the Brazil Empire, by J. Dingler and K.W. Lopes (Brazil Philatelic Association, Rio de Janeiro, 2000):

BPA 3023 (Coll. M. Orsi Jr.) 1867-1869
BPA 3110 (Coll. M. Orsi Jr.) 1876

Another one was found on a D.Pedro issue of1876 :

(Coll. M. Orsi Jr.) 1876ff
Villiers de lÌle Adam: Carta (…) da Provincia de São Paulo, 1847

Anderer Name: Nossa Senhora da Ponte de Sorocaba

Die Freguesia von Nossa Senhora da Ponte de Sorocaba (Unsere Liebe Frau an der Sorocaba-Brücke) entstand bereits 1654 und lag am Westufer des Flusses Sorocaba, 100 km westlich der künftigen Provinzhauptstat São Paulo entfernt. Die Ortschaft wuchs sehr schnell und wurde bald Brasiliens wohl wichtigster Umschlagplatz für Vieh. Im März 1661 stieg Sorocaba zur Villa und im Februar 1842 zur Stadt auf.  Der örtliche Bahnhof wurde im Juli 1875 von der Bahngesellschaft E.F. Sorocabana eingeweiht und blieb bis 1998 in Betrieb, nachdem die Besitzer mehrmals wechselten: zur Cia. União Sorocabana e Ytuana (1892), Sorocabana Railway (1907), zurück zur E.F. Sorocabana (1919) und schließlich zur FEPASA (1971).

Zwei Gründungsdaten fürs örtliche Postamt wurden ermittelt. Nova Monteiro schreibt in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) dafür den Oktober 1839, während die Agentur im Verzeichnis der kaiserlichen Postämter (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) ab 1846 aufgelistet wird. Demnach wäre sie zwischendurch geschlossen gewesen. Allerdings berichtet der RHM-Katalog über Vorphila-Poststempel aus Sorocaba, die bereits um 1827 im Umlauf wären. Eine dritte, früheste Postamteröffnung scheint dadurch belegt zu sein.

Der früheste Poststempel ist also SSP-1395a, wie im RHM-Katalog abgebildet wurde:

SSP-1395a (RHM P-SP-54) 1827-1829

Ihm folgten zwei Stempel, SSP-1395b und SSP-1395c, die auch in rot vorkommen und uns durch Paulo Ayres in Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império, (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) jeweils unter den Nr. 1505 und 1504 vorgestellt wurden:

SSP-1395b (P.A. 1505, RHM P-SP-55) 1829-1864
SSP-1395c (P.A. 1504) 1844ff-1866ff

Die folgenden Stempel sind Doppelkreise. SSP-1395d gibt es auch in blau und wurde ebenfalls durch P. Ayres bekannt gemacht:

SSP-1395d (P.A. p./S. 118) 1868-1880

Bei SSP-1395e (Samml. Mario Celso Orsi Jr.) lautet die obige Inschrift SOROCABA. Der Stempel kommt auch in violett vor, und die inneren Daten gehen von 1881 bis 1890. SSP-1395f (samml. José A. Junges) hat oben die gleiche Inschrift, unten sieht man einen fünfzackigen stern. Daten: 1885-1888. Auch SSP-1395g (Samml. José A. Junges) hat die gleiche Inschrift oben, unten steht nun (S.PAULO) zu lesen. Daten: 1885-1897. Im SSP-1395h (Samml. José A. Junges) ist unten ein kreuzförmiges Ornament, bei gleicher Inschrift oben. Datiert 1889-1894 in der Mitte. SSP-1396a (Samml. Mario Celso Orsi Jr.) war für den ambulanten Postbetrieb im Bahnwagen betimmt. Im Doppelkreis liest man oben SOROCABA und unten (C.A.), für Correio Ambulante. Datiert 1885-1887 in der Mitte.

Unten den vielen “stummen” Poststempel aus dem kaiserlichen Sorocaba wurden zwei bereits durch P. Ayres (op. cit.) unter den Nr. 288 und 746 präsentiert:

P. Ayres 288 (Samml. M. Orsi Jr.) 1866ff

P. Ayres 746 (Samml. José A. Junges) 1866ff-1883

Zwei weitere Stempel haben die Nr. 3023 und  3110 im Mute Cancellations of the Brazil Empire/ Carimbos Mudos do Brasil Império, von J. Dingler und K.W. Lopes (Brazil Philatelic Association, Rio de Janeiro, 2000) bekommen:

BPA 3023 (Samml. M. Orsi Jr.) 1867-1869

BPA 3110 (Samml. M. Orsi Jr.) 1876

Ein weiterer wurde auf einer D. Pedro-Ausgabe von 1876 gefunden :

(Samml. M. Orsi Jr.) 1876ff

Categories
Carimbologia S

Soledade do Itajubá, Minas Gerais (SMG-3145)

Estado de Minas Geraes, 1910

Other names: Descoberto do Itagybá, Soledade, Delfim Moreira (1938)

This locality was the old freguesia called Descoberto near Itajubá from November 1762 and was situated close to the border with São Paulo, over 440 km southwest of the provincial capital Ouro Preto. The name Soledade do Itajubá came in November 1842, then in September 1848 it is said to have been called Boa Vista do Itajubá, and since December 1938 it has been the Município of Delfim Moreira. The name reminds a politician from Minas Gerais (1868-1920) who was acting president of Brazil for 8 months from November 1918, after the elected president Rodrigues Alves fell ill with the Spanish flu and died.

As Paula Sobrinho writes in História Postal de Minas Gerais (Belo Horizonte, 1997), there was a post office in Soledade do Itajubá from July 1869. A postmark was found, probably not the oldest one from there: SMG-3145b (Coll. José A. Junges) has a double circle with the inscription SOLEDADE DO ITAJUBÁ on top. The only specimen so far bears a date from 1885 inside.

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

Andere Namen: Descoberto do Itagybá, Soledade, Delfim Moreira (1938)

Diese Ortschaft war ab November 1762 die alte Freguesia namens Descoberto bei Itajubá und lag nah an der Grenze zu São Paulo, über 440 km südwestlich der Provinzhauptstadt Ouro Preto entfernt. Der Name Soledade do Itajubá kam im November 1842. Im September 1848 soll sie dann Boa Vista do Itajubá geheißen haben, und seit Dezember 1938 ist es der Município von Delfim Moreira. Der Name erinnert an einem Politiker aus Minas Gerais (1868-1920), der ab November 1918 8 Monate lang kommissarischer Präsident Brasiliens war, nachdem der gewählte Präsident Rodrigues Alves an der Spanischen Grippe erkrankte und starb.

Wie Paula Sobrinho in História Postal de Minas Gerais (Belo Horizonte, 1997) schreibt, gab es in Soledade do Itajubá ab Juli 1869 ein Postamt. Ein Poststempel wurde gefunden, wahrscheinlich nicht der Älteste von dort: SMG-3145b (Samml. José A. Junges) ist ein Doppelkreis mit der Inschrift SOLEDADE DO ITAJUBÁ oben. Das bisher einzige Exemplar trägt ein Datum aus 1885 im Inneren.

Categories
Carimbologia S

Soledade do Chiador, Minas Gerais (SMG-3150)

Estado de Minas Geraes, 1910

Other names: Soledade, Saudade (1923)

This other locality called Soledade in the province of Minas was a district of Mar d’Hespanha from May 1890, situated over 280 south of the capital Ouro Preto. Since September 1923, the district has been called Saudade (Longings).

As Paula Sobrinho writes in História Postal de Minas Gerais (Belo Horizonte, 1997), there was a post office there from December 1887. Two 19th century postmarks in the double circle were found. SMG- 3150a (Coll. José A. Junges) has the inscription SOLEDADE DO CHIADOR at the top, while (MINAS) can be read at the bottom. Its successor SMG-3150b (Coll. José A. Junges) no longer has an inscription at the bottom, but only an ornament in lozenge. The only specimen so far bears a date from 1889 in the centre.

agenciaspostais.com.br

Andere Namen: Soledade, Saudade (1923)

Diese andere Ortschaft namens Soledade in der Provinz Minas war ab Mai 1890 ein Distrikt von Mar d’Hespanha, der über 280 km südlich der Hauptstadt Ouro Preto entfernt lag. Seit September 1923 heißt der Distrikt Saudade (Sehnsucht).

Wie Paula Sobrinho in História Postal de Minas Gerais (Belo Horizonte, 1997) schreibt, gab es dort ab Dezember 1887 ein Postamt. Zwei Poststempel des 19. Jahrhunderts im Doppelkreis wurden gefunden. SMG- 3150a (Samml. José A. Junges) hat oben die Inschrift SOLEDADE DO CHIADOR, während unten (MINAS) zu lesen ist. Sein Nachfolger SMG-3150b (Samml. José A. Junges) hat unten keine Inschrift mehr, sondern nur noch ein Ornament in Raute. Das bisher einzige Exemplar trägt ein Datum aus 1889 in der Mitte.

Categories
Carimbologia S

Soledade (train station/Bahnhof), Minas Gerais (SMG-3140)

Estado de Minas Geraes, 1910

Other names: Soledade da Campanha, Ibatuba, Soledade de Minas (1948)

The Soledade station in the province of Minas Gerais was inaugurated in June 1884 by the E.F. Minas e Rio railway company and was located on the Cruzeiro-Jureia line near Baependy, almost 340 km southwest of the capital Ouro Preto. The railway line changed hands several times: Rede Sul-Mineira (1910), Rede Mineira de Viação (1931), Viação Férrea Centro-Oeste (1965), Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. (1975) and most recently ABPF (2000). Since December 1948, the station has been located in the Município of Soledade de Minas (estacoesferroviarias.com.br).

The station post office was created in September 1884, as reported by the Rio press:

Gazeta da Tarde/RJ, 13/09/1884

The only imperial postmark so far is SMG-3140a (Coll. Dieter Kerkhoff): a double circle with the inscriptions SOLEDADE above and (ESTAÇĀO) below. The dates inside are from the period 1885-1891.

ca.1910 (estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

Andere Namen: Soledade da Campanha, Ibatuba, Soledade de Minas (1948)

Der Bahnhof Soledade in der Provinz Minas Gerais wurde im Juni 1884 durch die E.F. Minas e Rio Bahngesellschaft eingeweiht und lag auf der Linie Cruzeiro-Jureia bei Baependy, knapp 340 km südwestlich der Hauptstadt Ouro Preto entfernt. Die Bahnlinie wechselte mehrmals den Besitzer: Rede Sul-Mineira (1910), Rede Mineira de Viação (1931), Viação Férrea Centro-Oeste (1965), Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. (1975) und zuletzt ABPF (2000). Seit Dezember 1948 liegt der Bahnhof im Município von Soledade de Minas (estacoesferroviarias.com.br).

Das Bahnhofspostamt entstand im September 1884, wie die Presse aus Rio berichtet:

Gazeta da Tarde/RJ, 13.09.1884

Der bisher einzige kaiserliche Poststempel ist SMG-3140a (Samml. Dieter Kerkhoff): ein Doppelkreis mit den Inschriften SOLEDADE oben und (ESTAÇĀO) unten. Die Daten im Inneren entstammen dem Zeitraum 1885-1891.

Categories
Carimbologia S

Soledade, Rio Grande do Sul (SRS-0435)

Atlas do Imperio do Brasil, 1868

The southernmost Soledade in imperial Brazil was a district of Passo Fundo from January 1857, located about 220 km northwest of the provincial capital Porto Alegre. In March 1875 it became a villa, today it is a município.

Nova Monteiro writes in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999) that there was a post office there since October 1860. Two postmarks in double circle and one handwritten cancellation were found. From SRS-0435b (Coll. José A. Junges) we know examples in green and blue as well as in black. Here the inscription at the top is SOLEDADE, at the bottom there is a (2) between the circles. The dates in the middle were found for the period 1877-1889. SRS-0435b (image from the internet) has the same inscription at the top, but at the bottom it now reads (R.G. DO SUL). Both examples have no date inside and were found on 1887 and 1890 issues.

The manuscript cancellation was found on a D.Pedro issue v. 1876 on a letter from 1877 in the Fuad Ferreira Fo collection:

1877 (FF)
Provincia de São Pedro do Rio Grande, 1877

Die südlichste Soledade im kaiserlichen Brasilien war ab Januar 1857 ein Distrikt von Passo Fundo, der ca. 220 km nordwestlich der Provinzhauptstadt Porto Alegre entfernt lag. Im März 1875 wurde daraus eine Villa, heute ist es ein Município.

Nova Monteiro schreibt in Administrações e Agencias Postaes do Brasil Imperio (Brasil Filatelico/RJ, 1934-5; Reprint SPP 1994-1999), dass es dort seit Oktober 1860 ein Postamt gab. Zwei Poststempel im Doppelkreis und eine Entwertung per Hand wurden gefunden. Von SRS-0435b (Samml. José A. Junges) kennen wir außer in schwarz auch Beispiele in grün und blau. Hier lautet die Inschrift oben SOLEDADE, unten steht eine (2) zwischen den Kreisen. Die Daten in der Mitte wurden für den Zeitraum 1877-1889 gefunden. SRS-0435b (Abb. aus dem Internet) hat die gleiche Inschrift oben, aber unten liest man nun (R.G. DO SUL). Beide Exemplare tragen kein Datum im Inneren und wurden auf Ausgaben von 1887 und 1890 gefunden.

Die handschriftliche Entwertung wurde auf einer D.Pedro Ausgabe v. 1876 auf einem Brief aus 1877 in der Samml. Fuad Ferreira Fo. gefunden:

1877 (FF)

Categories
Carimbologia S

Soledade, Paraíba (SPB-0240)

Serviço Geologico e Mineralogico do Brasil, 1910

Soledade (seclusion) was a district of São João do Cariri from October 1879, located over 180 km west of the provincial capital Parahyba do Norte (now João Pessoa). In September 1885 it became a villa, today it is a município.

The local post office came into being in September 1883, as can be seen from the provincial president’s report for the following month:

Relatorio do Presidente da Província 10/1883

The imperial postmark is SPB-0240a (Coll. José A. Junges). Unfortunately, only the upper half of a single existing specimen can be read: a double circle with the inscription SOLEDADE at the top. A date from 1886 was written by hand.

GoogleMaps

Soledade (Abgeschiedenheit) war ab Oktober 1879 ein Distrikt von São João do Cariri, der über 180 km westlich der Provinzhauptstadt Parahyba do Norte (heute João Pessoa) lag. Im September 1885 wurde daraus eine Villa, heute ist es ein Município.

Das örtliche Postamt entstand im September 1883, wie aus dem Bericht des Provinzpräsidenten des folgenden Monats hervorgeht:

Relatorio do Presidente da Província 10/1883

Der kaiserliche Poststempel ist SPB-0240a (Samml. José A. Junges). Leider ist vom einzig vorhandenen Exemplar nur die obere Hälfte zu lesen: ein Doppelkreis mit der Inschrift SOLEDADE oben. Ein Datum aus 1886 wurde per Hand eingetragen.

Categories
Carimbologia S

Socego (train station/Bahnhof), Minas Gerais (SMG-3135)

Almanak Laemmert, 1892

The Socego (=rest, today spelled Sossego) station was inaugurated in May 1879 by the Cia. União Mineira railway company in the Município of Juiz de Fora and was located about 270 km south of the provincial capital Ouro Preto. The railway line went to E.F. Leopoldina in 1884 and to Rede Ferroviária Federal S.A. from 1975 until its closure in 1994. From September 1923, the station belonged to the newly founded Município of Matias Barbosa and from December 1953 to Santana do Deserto (estacoesferroviarias.com.br).

ca. 1940 (Photo M. Monachesi, in estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

Paula Sobrinho writes in História Postal de Minas Gerais (Belo Horizonte, 1997) that there was a post office there from July 1881. Two postmarks of the imperial period as double circles were found. SMG-3135a (Coll. José A. Junges) is a French type with the inscription SOCEGO above and the star between brackets below. One  example seen, dated 1883 in the centre. Its successor SMG-3135b (Coll. Karlheinz Wittig) now has the inscription SOCEGO (ESTAÇĀO) at the top. The interior dates so far go from 1885 to 1892.

Estações Ferroviarias do Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo e Minas Geraes, 1880

Der Bahnhof Socego (=Ruhe, heute Sossego geschrieben) wurde im Mai 1879 von der Companhia União Mineira Bahngesellschaft im Município von Juiz de Fora eingeweiht und lag ca. 270 km südlich der Provinzhauptstadt Ouro Preto entfernt. Die Bahnlinie ging 1884 zur E.F. Leopoldina und von 1975 bis zur Stilllegung 1994 zur Rede Ferroviária Federal SA. Ab September 1923 gehörte der Bahnhof zum neu gegründeten Município von Matias Barbosa und ab Dezember 1953 zu Santana do Deserto (estacoesferroviarias.com.br).

ca. 1940 (Foto M. Monachesi, in estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

Paula Sobrinho schreibt in História Postal de Minas Gerais (Belo Horizonte, 1997), dass es dort ab Juli 1881 ein Postamt gab. Zwei Poststempel der Kaiserzeit als Doppelkreise wurden gefunden. SMG-3135a (Samml. José A. Junges) ist ein französischer Typus mit der Inschrift SOCEGO oben und dem Stern zwischen Klammern unten. Ein Exemplar gesehen, datiert 1883 in der Mitte. Sein Nachfolger SMG-3135b (Samml. Karlheinz Wittig) hat nun die Inschrift SOCEGO (ESTAÇĀO) oben. Die Inneren Daten gehen bisher von 1885 bis 1892.

Categories
Carimbologia S

Soccorro, São Paulo (SSP-1390)

Provincia de São Paulo, 1886

Another name: Nossa Senhora do Soccorro do Rio do Peixe

Nossa Senhora do Soccorro do Rio do Peixe (Our Lady of Help on the Fish River) was the name of a district of Bragança from February 1838, which was located on the Rio do Peixe, over 130 km north of the provincial capital São Paulo. There are at least two rivers in São Paulo called this way. This one is a tributary of the Mogi-Guaçu and is formed by the meeting of two streams on the border with Minas Gerais. The place became a vila as early as 1871, and has been a town since March 1883.

The local post office was opened at least twice. The first time may have been around 1840, as this agency was closed around 1845, according to the 1846 yearbook:

Annuario Politico, Historico e Estatistico, 1846

The second creation took place in November 1873, as reported by the São Paulo press:

Correio Paulistano, 27/11/1873

The post office was probably not put into operation until the following year, for the Imperial Mail Register (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) lists this agency from 1874 on. Three 19th century postmarks were found. The first of them, SSP-1390a, dates from the first period of operation, as it was used on the Bull’s-Eye issues of 1843 and already made known by Paulo Ayres in Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) under no. 1503:

SSP-1390a (P.A. 1503) 1843ff

From the second period comes SSP-1390b (Coll. José A. Junges): a double circle with the inscription SOCCORRO above and a (2) below. Dates in the middle: 1877-1888. It was followed by SSP-1390c (Coll. José A. Junges): a French type with the same inscription at the top, but now with the star between brackets at the bottom. Dates inside: 1889-1891.

Companhia Paulista

Anderer Name: Nossa Senhora do Soccorro do Rio do Peixe

Nossa Senhora do Soccorro do Rio do Peixe (Unsere Liebe Frau der Hilfe am Fischfluss) hieß ab Februar 1838 ein Distrikt von Bragança, der am Rio do Peixe lag, gut 130 km nördlich der Provinzhauptstadt São Paulo entfernt. Es gibt mindestens zwei Flüsse in São Paulo, die so heißen. Dieser ist ein Zufluss des Mogi-Guaçu und entsteht durch die Zusammenkunft von zwei Bächen an der Grenze zu Minas Gerais. Der Ort wurde bereits 1871 eine Vila, und ist eine Stadt seit März 1883.

Das örtliche Postamt wurde mindestens zweimal eröffnet. Zum ersten Mal dürfte es um 1840 gewesen sein, denn diese Agentur wurde um ca. 1845 geschlossen, wie im Jahrbuch 1846 zu lesen ist:

Annuario Politico, Historico e Estatistico/1846

Die zweite Eröffnung wurde im November 1873 beschlossen, wie die Presse aus São Paulo mitteilte:

Correio Paulistano, 27.11.1873

Die Inbetriebnahme des Postamts erfolgte wohl erst im darauffolgenden Jahr, da das Verzeichnis der kaiserlichen Postämter (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Imperio, Rio de Janeiro, 1885) diese Agentur erst ab 1874 auflistet. Drei Poststempel aus dem 19. Jahrhundert wurden gefunden. Der erste davon, SSP-1390a stammt aus der ersten Betriebsperiode, denn er wurde auf den Ochsenaugenausgaben von 1843 verwendet und bereits durch Paulo Ayres in Catálogo de Carimbos Brasil-Império (S. Paulo, 1937, 1942) unter Nr. 1503 bekannt gemacht:

SSP-1390a (P.A. 1503) 1843ff

Aus der zweiten Periode kommt SSP-1390b (Samml. José A. Junges): ein Doppelkreis mit der Inschrift SOCCORRO oben und die Nr. (2) unten. Daten in der Mitte von 1877 bis 1888. Ihm folgte SSP-1390c (Samml. José A. Junges): ein französischer Typus mit gleicher Inschrift oben, aber nun mit dem Stern zwischen Klammern unten. Daten in der Mitte: 1889-1891.