Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Raiz da Serra (train station/Bahnhof), Rio de Janeiro (RRJ-1325)

Atlas do Imperio do Brazil, 1868

Raiz da Serra (« the root of the mountains ») was in 1856 a location near Magé, the final stop of Brazil’s first railway, before the slopes of the Serra da Estrella. The Estrada de Ferro Mauá began in 1854 in Porto Mauá at the Guanabara Bay; the name Mauá is now directly linked to its entrepreneur Irineu Evangelista de Souza (1813-1889), who was also a banker, industrialist and politician. For his achievement he was awarded the title of Baron of Mauá in 1854, and of viscount with greatness in 1874. Allegedly, “by 1867 his wealth war larger than the annual budget of the Brazilian Empire. He was called the Rothschild of the South American continent by the New York Times in 1871”. (Wikipedia)

Painting by Édouard Viennot

In the forties, the train station was renamed as Vila Inhomerim, remaining in the Município of Magé. After the beginning, the railway denomination changed to E.F. Príncipe do Grão-Pará (1888-1890), E.F. Leopoldina (1890-1975), Rede Ferroviária Federal (1975-1997), and since 1997 it is called Supervia, operating only with freight trains.

A post office was installed in 1869 (Nova Monteiro). The first cancel was probably RRJ-1325a (Coll. José A. Junges). Listed by Paulo Ayres under number 1425.

RRJ-1325a, Paulo Ayes 1425

RRJ-1325b (Coll. José A. Junges) has a double circle with the inscription RAIZ DA SERRA (above) and the date in the middle. Found between 1882 and 1890.

RRJ-1325c (Coll. José A. Junges) has a double circle with the inscription RAIZ DA SERRA (above), a new star-like ornament (below) and the date inside. Found between 1890 and 1898.

Amigos do Patrimônio, 2010

Raiz da Serra (“Wurzel des Gebirges”) war die in 1856 vor der Serra da Estrella nah an Magé gebaute Endstation von Brasiliens erster Eisenbahnlinie, die Estrada de Ferro Mauá. Diese started in 1854 in Porto Mauá, einem Hafendorf an der Bucht von Guanabara, das seinen Namen seitdem direkt mit dem Unternehmer Irineu Evangelista de Souza verbunden ist.

Souza (1813-1889) war auch Industrieller, Bankier und Politiker; für seine Leistungen wurde er gleich in 1854 als Baron de Mauá geadelt, und 20 Jahre später als Vicomte mit Grandezza. Angeblich war sein Vermögen um 1867 größer als das Gesamtbudget des brasilianischen Kaiserreichs, und in 1871 nannte ihn der New York Times den „Rothschild des südamerikanischen Kontinents“ (Wikipedia):

Gemälde von Édouard Viennot

In den 40er Jahren wurde die Station als Villa Inhomerim umbenannt, und bis heute ist sie im Município von Magé in Betrieb. Der Name der Bahngesellschaft wechselte seit der Gründung mehrmals:  Estrada de Ferro Príncipe do Grão-Pará (1888-1890), E.F. Leopoldina (1890-1975), Rede Ferroviária Federal (1975-1997) und Supervia (seit 1997, nur Güterverkehr).

Ein Bahnhofspostamt wurde in 1869 in Betrieb genommen (Nova Monteiro). Der erste Stempel war wohl RRJ-1325a (Samml. José A. Junges); er wurde von Paulo Ayres unter Nr. 1425 aufgelistet.

RRJ-1325a, Paulo Ayres 1425

RRJ-1325b (Samml. José A. Junges) hat einen Doppelkreis mit Inschrift RAIZ DA SERRA (oben) und das Datum im Inneren. Anzutreffen zwischen 1882 und 1890.

RRJ-1325c (Samml. José A. Junges) hat einen Doppelkreis mit Inschrift RAIZ DA SERRA (oben), einem sternförmigen Ornament (unten) dazu und trägt das Datum innen. Zwischen 1890 und 1898 bekannt.

Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Quixeramobim, Ceará (QCE-0265)

Atlas do Imperio do Brazil, 1868

The origin and meaning of the name Quixeramobim have been a discussion object among scholars through centuries. Even the German botanist Carl Ph. Fr. von Martius (1794-1868) has tried to elucidate this mystery and mentioned a tupi-indian origin. But according to the Brazilian sociologist Analucia Sulina Bezerra, it seems now that the name has come from the Quixará, an ethnic group of the Tapuia-indians.

Quixeramobim was granted the status of a Villa as early as 1766, became a cidade in 1856, and on March 4, 1846 a local post office appeared, according to Nova Monteiro. If we consider that this town by 1880 had over 15 thousand inhabitants (Guia Postal do Imperio), one might wonder where all those imperial cancels are hidden.

The earliest example of a Quixeramobim cancel by now is QCE-0265a (Coll. José A. Junges): a double circle with the imprint QUIXERAMOBIM (above) and a date within the inner circle. Possibly there was an ornament below, which disappeared in the copy of 1896.

A second cancel, QCE-0265b (Coll. Dieter Kerkhoff), was applied at the stamp corner, has therefore very little information and could possibly be republican. Similar to the former, but now presenting (CEARÁ) between the circles (below). Seen on a stamp issued after 1897.

Raphael Lorenzeto de Abreu (CC BY-SA)

Viele Wissenschaftler rätselten jahrhundertlang über Ursprung und Bedeutung des Namens Quixeramobim. Sogar der deutsche Botaniker Carl Ph. Fr. von Martius (1794-1868) versuchte, dieses Problem zu durchleuchten, indem er auf eine tupi-indianische Abstammung tippte. Wie dennoch die brasilianische Soziologin Analucia Sulina Bezerra erklärte, der Begriff kommt von Quixará, einem Indianerstamm der Tapuias.

Quixeramobim bekam den Status einer Villa bereits in 1766, in 1856 wurde sie eine cidade, aber vorher schon, seit 04.03.1846, gab es dort ein Postamt, laut Nova Monteiro. Aber wenn wir lesen, dass vor 1880 der Ort schon über 15 Tausend Einwohner hatte (Guia Postal do Império), da fragt man sich, wo alle diese kaiserlichen Abstempelungen geblieben sind.

Der bisher früheste Stempel aus Quixeramobim ist QCE-0265a (Samml. José A. Junges): ein Doppelkreis mit der Inschrift QUIXERAMOBIM (oben) und einem Datum im Innenkreis. Möglicherweise gab es eine Verzierung unten, die leider auf der Marke mit Stempeldatum 1896 nicht mehr zu sehen ist.

Eine zweite Abstempelung, QCE-0265b (Samml. Dieter Kerkhoff), hat lediglich einen Markenrand erwischt. Dadurch ist ihr Informationsgehalt gering, sie könnte auch aus der Zeit der Republik sein. Außer den Angaben der vorherigen bringt diese Abstempelung auch (CEARÁ) zwischen den Kreisen (unten). Gesehen auf einer Marke, die ab 1897 ausgegeben wurde.

Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Quixadá, Ceará (QCE-0260)

Atlas do Imperio do Brazil, 1868

Print edition update of April 22, 2020

Quixadá was a district of Quixeramobim until 1869, when the parish of Jesus, Maria e José de Quixadá was founded, one year before the locality became a Villa. According to the Imperial Mail Register (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Império) of 1885, the station post office opened in 1871, and was already mentioned in the press in the following year:

Pedro II, July 20, 1872

No cancel with imperial date has been found by now, but QCE-0260a (Coll. José A. Junges), used at the beginning of the republican period, might have circulated before 1890: a double circle with the inscription QUIXADA (above) and the date within the inner circle.

Raphael Lorenzeto de Abreu (CC BY-SA)

Buchtext-Aktualisierung vom 22. April 2020

Quixadá gehörte zu Quixeramobim bis zur Gründung der Pfarrei Jesus, Maria e José de Quixadá in 1869, ein Jahr bevor aus der Ortschaft eine Villa wurde. Das Verzeichnis der kaiserlichen Postämter (Tabella das Agencias do Correio do Império) von 1885 nennt das Jahr 1871 für die Gründung des Postamts, und schon im folgenden Jahr wurde es in der Presse erwähnt:

Pedro II, 20.07.1872

Bisher wurde kein Stempel aus der brasilianischen Kaiserzeit gefunden, aber vermutlich war QCE-0260a (Samml. José A. Junges), von dem ein Exemplar aus den frühen Jahren der Republik vorhanden ist, auch vor 1890 in Gebrauch: ein Doppelkreis mit der Inschrift QUIXADA (oben) und dem Datum im Innenkreis.

Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Quissaman, Rio de Janeiro (QRJ-1020)

Atlas do Imperio do Brazil, 1868

The parish of Nossa Senhora do Desterro de Quissaman was named after a region located south from Luanda, Angola, and which is now spelled Quiçama. Apparently, many slaves have come from there and contributed therefore for the perpetuation of their homeland’s name in Brazil. According to Paulo Novaes and Reinhold Koester, a post office was created on December 1855.

Since Reinhold Koester (Carimbologia do Brasil Clássico XXVIII, Lohmar, 1986) has already presented all cancels from this locality, it will be referred here only to those cancels which begin with Q. QRJ-0820a (Coll. José A. Junges) has a double circle with the inscription QUISSAMAN (above) and the date within the inner circle, whereas QRJ-0820b (Coll. José A. Junges) has the inscription QUISSAMÃ (above) and an ornament below. The former has exemplars founded between 1879 and 1889; the latter was used at least between 1889 and 1908.

Raphael Lorenzeto de Abreu (CC BY-SA)

Die Pfarrei Nossa Senhora do Desterro de Quissaman wurde nach einem Gebiet südlich von Luanda in Angola genannt, das heutzutage Quiçama geschrieben wird. Dorther sind wohl zahlreiche Sklaven in die Gegend nordöstlich von Rio verschleppt worden, so dass der afrikanische Heimatbegriff in Brasilien verewigt wurde. Sowohl Paulo Novaes als auch Reinhold Koester nennen als Entstehungsdatum fürs Postamt den 24.12.1855.

Da Koester bereits alle bisher bekannten Quissaman-Stempel gelistet hat (Carimbologia do Brasil Clássico XXVIII, Lohmar, 1986), wird hier nur an die Stempel erinnert, die mit Q beginnen. So hat QRJ-1020a (Samml. José A. Junges) einen Doppelkreis mit der Inschrift QUISSAMAN (oben) und das Datum im Innenkreis, während QRJ-1020b (Samml. José A. Junges) präsentiert die Schreibweise QUISSAMÃ (oben) und eine Verzierung unten. Der erste Stempel hat Exemplare zwischen den Jahren 1879 und 1889; der zweite wurde zumindest zwischen 1889 und 1908 benutzt.

Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Quiririm (train station/Bahnhof), São Paulo (QSP-1050)

EFCB 1898 (IBGE)

The Estrada de Ferro do Norte (or E.F. São Paulo-Rio) was built from 1876 on and should connect São Paulo to the D. Pedro II railway in Cachoeira Paulista in 1877. According to Ralph Giesbrecht (estacoesferroviarias.com.br), a train stop was made in the Fazenda Quiririm at the Paraiba River near Taubaté from December 1876 on, but until July 1885 no station house had been constructed:

Correio Paulistano, July 15 1885

However, it seems that shortly after that the construction started, for by May 1887 a post office had been created already:

Correio Paulistano, May 3, 1887

No cancel from this station could be found until now.

In 1952 (estacoesferroviarias.com.br)

Die Estrada de Ferro do Norte (oder E.F. São Paulo-Rio) wurde ab 1876 gebaut und sollte São Paulo mit der Estrada de Ferro D. Pedro II verbinden – diese aus Rio kommend, was nun in 1877 in Cachoeira Paulista geschah. Nach Ralph Giesbrecht (estacoesferroviarias.com.br) sollte eine Haltestelle an der Fazenda Quiririm nah am Paraíba-Fluss bei Taubaté ab Dezember 1876 erfolgen, dennoch bis Juli 1885 wurde kein Bahnhof dort errichtet:

Correio Paulistano, 15.07.1885

Scheinbar dauerte es aber nicht mehr lange mit dem Bahnhofsgebäude, da das dazu gehörige Postamt bereits in Mai 1887 wohl in Betrieb war:

Correio Paulistano, 03.05.1887

Leider konnte bisher kein Stempel aus dem Quiririm-Bahnhof gefunden werden.

Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Quirino (train station/Bahnhof), Rio de Janeiro (QRJ-2030)

EFCB in 1898 (IBGE)

According to Ralph Giesbrecht (estacoesferroviarias.com.br), a train station of the União Valenciana railway was inaugurated on May 1st, 1871 near the Quirino River in the Valença municipality. It belonged to the Jacutinga branch, which would improve postal and transport connections to the Minas Gerais province.

Nevertheless, a station post office came only fifteen years later, as the local press tell us:

O Paiz, April 4, 1886

QRJ-2030a (Coll. José A. Junges) is the only known cancel from the imperial Quirino by now: A double circle with the imprints QUIRINO (above) and (EST.) below, with its date within the inner circle. Known for 1889 and 1890.

agenciaspostais.com.br

Laut Ralph Giesbrecht (estacoesferroviarias.com.br), am 01.05.1871 wurde ein Bahnhof der Estrada de Ferro União Valenciana am Quirini-Fluss bei Valença eingeweiht. Die Bahnstrecke war die Jacutinga Abzweigung und sollte die Verkehrsanbindung zur Provinz Minas Gerais verbessern.

Dennoch, erst 15 Jahre später kam das dazu gehörende Bahnhofspostamt, wie die Lokalpresse berichtet:

O Paiz, 04.04.1886

QRJ-2030a (Samml. José A. Junges) ist bisher der einzig bekannte Quirino-Stempel der Kaiserzeit: ein Doppelkreis mit der Inschrift QUIRINO (oben) und (EST.) unten, dazu das Datum im Innenkreis. Es sind Exemplare aus den Jahren 1889 und 1890 bekannt.

Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Quipapá, Pernambuco (QPE-0485)

Atlas do Império do Brazil, 1868

The Villa of Nossa Senhora da Conceição de Quipapá was established in 1879, after emancipating from Panelas, but the post office there was created four years earlier, as meanwhile could be found in the local press:

Diário de Pernambuco, August 4, 1875)

There are two possible meanings of such a strange name. The first would be a derivate from Quipacá, which would mean a slave hideout, in an African dialect. A second explanation has an Indian background for that region: Quipaquipá would mean many cactuses.

By 1880, according to the Guia Postal do Império, Quipapá had already over fifteen thousand inhabitants. No wonder that a train station of the railway from Recife to the São Francisco River was built there in January 1885. Immediately, the post services proceeded by train:

Diário de Pernambuco, January 15, 1885

The earlier cancel from Quipapá may have been the French-type QPE-0485a (Collection Jorge L. Pedreira), which consisted of a small double circle with the local name in-between (above) and the typical star between parentheses (below). The date, if applied, was manuscript within the inner circle. A railway cancel appeared later, QPE-0485b (Coll. José A. Junges): a double circle with EST. QUIPAPÁ in-between (above) and PERNAM.o (below), with a date (1891) within the inner circle.

Júnior (CC BY-SA)

Die Villa von Nossa Senhora da Conceição de Quipapá wurde 1879 aus dem ehemaligen Município de Panelas gegründet, aber ein Postamt wurde dort bereits vier Jahre früher errichtet, wie man inzwischen durch einen lokalen Pressebericht erfahren konnte:

Diário de Pernambuco, 04.08.1875

Dieser auch für brasilianische Ohren merkwürdige Name hat zwei mögliche Erklärungen. Er kommt entweder von Quipacá, was in einem afrikanischen Dialekt so viel wie Sklavenversteck bedeuten würde, oder von Quipaquipá, was in der Indianersprache viele Kakteen hieße. Der Guia Postal do Império für 1880 zählt über fünfzehntausend Einwohner in Quipapá. Kein Wunder, dass dort ein Bahnhof der Estrada de Ferro do Recife ao São Francisco im Januar 1885 errichtet wurde. Sofort danach wurde die Post dort per Zug befördert:

Diário de Pernambuco, 15.01.1885

Der erste Quipapá-Stempel dürfte ein “Französischen-Typs” sein: QPE-0485a (Samml. Jorge L. Pedreira) hatte einen kleinen Doppelkreis mit dem Ortsnamen dazwischen (oben) und dem typischen Stern in Klammern (unten). Falls vorhanden, wurde ein Datum per Hand in den Innenkreis eingetragen. Später gab es auch einen Bahnhofstempel, QPE-0485b (Samml. José A. Junges): einen Doppelkreis mit EST. QUIPAPÁ dazwischen (oben) und PERNAM.o (unten), dazu das Datum (1891) im Innenkreis.

Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Quilombo (train station/Bahnhof), São Paulo (QSP-1045)

EFCB-1890

From about 1874 on, Quilombo was a station of the Cia. Ytuana railway at the Jundiaí River in the município of Indaiatuba, which later belonged to Jundiaí, before becoming the actual município de Itupeva, now near the Viracopos International Airport. The name derives from its location within the Fazenda Quilombo, which belonged to the wealthy coffee farmer José Estanislau do Amaral, the grandfather of the renowned Brazilian artist Tarsila do Amaral (1886-1973):

Tarsila do Amaral ca. 1925

The train station had offered postal services by August 1875, according to the local press:

Correio Paulistano, August 3, 1875

QSP-1045a (Coll. José A. Junges) is by now the only known cancel from the Quilombo station: A double circle with the inscription EST. DE QUILOMBO (above), a clover leaf (below), and the date (year 1888) inside.

Diario de São Paulo, April 7, 1875

Quilombo war seit ca. 1874 ein Bahnhof der Companhia Ytuana am Jundiaí-Fluss in der Gemeinde Indaiatuba. Später gehörte er der Gemeinde Jundiaí, und nun ist es im Município de Itupeva, nah am internationalen Flughafen Viracopos. Seinen Namen hat er von der gleichnamigen Fazenda, in der er erbaut wurde, und die dem reichen Kaffeeplantagenbesitzer José Estanislau do Amaral gehörte, dem Großvater der berühmten brasilianischen Malerin Tarsila do Amaral (1886-1973):

Tarsila do Amaral, ca. 1925

Wie aus der Lokalpresse hervorgeht, hatte der Bahnhof schon vor August 1875 Post befördert:

Correio Paulistano, 03.08.1875

QSP-1045a (Samml. José A. Junges) ist bisher der einzige bekannte Stempel aus diesem Bahnhof: ein Doppelkreis mit der Inschrift EST. DE QUILOMBO (oben), dazu ein vierblättriges Kleeblatt (unten) und das Datum innen (Jahrgang 1888).

Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Quilombo, Minas Gerais (QMG-2080)

Atlas do Imperio do Brazil, 1868

Still nowadays in Angola, quilombo means a camp in the woods. Since slave traffic from that African region to Brazil increased throughout the centuries, the name quilombo was currently used whenever refugees organized their hideouts in the Brazilian hinterland. There were at least five important Quilombo villages in Minas Gerais during the Empire, the most important among them being the parish of Nossa Senhora das Dores do Quilombo near Barbacena. Later, it belonged to Independencia and União, and since 1938 it is called Bias Fortes, to celebrate a local politician of the Empire.

Paula Sobrinho and Nova Monteiro disagree about the creation of the Quilombo post office. The former sustains it took place on September 28, 1872, but adds an earlier date (September 14, 1866, according to the Relatorio Postal of 1890), while the latter writes September 17, 1886. Possibly all dates are correct, considering that the Quilombo post office has been closed by May 1872, because no postmaster had been found to run the office under modest financial conditions:

O Noticiador de Minas, May 1st, 1872

Given that the situation has not much changed afterwards, it is possible that the Quilombo post office was closed again between 1872 and 1886.

By now, the only known cancel from Quilombo (QMG-2080a) was used in 1896 and shows a double circle with the local name in-between (above) and a flower-like embellishment (below). The date was placed within the inner circle.

Raphael Lorenzeto de ABreu (CC BY-SA)

Quilombo ist bis heute in Angola ein Begriff für Waldlager. Aus Angola kamen jahrhundertlang unzählige Sklaven nach Brasilien. Darum ist es nicht verwunderlich, dass die Bezeichnung Quilombo immer dann Verwendung fand, wenn geflüchtete Sklaven aus ihren Waldverstecken im brasilianischen Hinterland Siedlungen gründeten.

In der kaiserlichen Provinz Minas Gerais gab es mindestens fünf wichtige Ortschaften, die Quilombo hießen. Die wichtigste davon war Nossa Senhora das Dores do Quilombo, eine Freguesia bei Barbacena. Später wurde sie den Bezirken Independência und União zugewiesen, und seit 1938 heißt sie Município de Bias Fortes, um einen Lokalpolitiker des Kaiserreichs zu ehren.

Über das Entstehungsdatum des Postamtes in Quilombo gibt es bei Paula Sobrinho und Nova Monteiro unterschiedliche Angaben. Erster behauptet, es fand am 28.09.1872 statt, fügt aber ein früheres Datum (14.09.1866, laut Relatório Postal aus 1890) hinzu. Nova Monteiro dagegen schreibt 17.09.1886 als Gründungsdatum. Möglicherweise sind alle diese Daten korrekt, denn das Postamt in Quilombo wurde offenbar kurz vor Mai 1872 geschlossen, da keiner gefunden wurde, der die Agentur bei so niedrigem Ertrag führen möchte:

O Noticiador de Minas, 01.05.1872

Wenn wir davon ausgehen, dass sich später die Postnachfrage nicht wesentlich verändert hat, ist es durchaus möglich, dass das Postamt zwischen 1872 und 1886 wieder geschlossen wurde.

Der einzige bisher überlieferte Stempel aus Quilombo (QMG-2080a) trägt das Datum 1896 und zeigt einen Doppelkreis mit dem Ortsnamen dazwischen (oben) und eine blumenähnliche Verzierung (unten). Das Datum wurde innerhalb des Innenkreises platziert.

Categories
Carimbologia Q-R

Queluz, São Paulo (QSP-1040)

Atlas do Imperio do Brazil, 1868

The parish of São João Baptista de Queluz was established near the Paraíba River in the municipality of Lorena at the edge of the São Paulo province in 1803. The post office was installed in 1840 (see Nova Monteiro: Administrações e Agências Postais do Brasil Império 1798-1869, Brasil Filatélico 1834-5, reprint SPP, 1994-99), two years before Queluz was made a Villa. A period of economic stagnation followed, until the arrival of the Estrada de Ferro D. Pedro II railway, in 1874.

Although there was another important town with the same name in imperial Minas Gerais (QMG-2075), the paulista Queluz has at least five slightly different cancels within its early period, which were probably handmade, all of them in black, featuring the locality name in a small rectangle.

QSP-1040a depicts “S.J. DE QUELUS”; QSP-1040b has the inscription “S.J.DEQUELLUS” and was used in 1840; QSP-1040c shows “V. DE S. J DEQUELLUZ” and is known for 1842; QSP-1040d follows with “V.D.S.J.D.QUELLUZ” with examples from 1843 and 1844; and QSP-1040e finishes with “V.S.J.DEQUELLUZ”.

The four last cancels were discovered by Karlheinz Wittig during the BRASILIANA 83 philatelic exhibition in Rio de Janeiro. Having found some Queluz letters in the National Museum, Wittig reported to Rolf H. Meyer who, after observing all cancels himself, asked his son Peter to take pictures of them. The Museu Nacional burned out in September 2019, with all original letters and their Queluz cancels.

QSP-1040f was already registered by Paulo Ayres (#1589). Used from ca. 1850 until ca. 1870:

QSP-1040f – P.A. 1589

QSP-1040g has also a double circle, now depicting solely QUELUZ (above) and a horizontal rhombus (below), formed by four small rhombuses. Dates within the inner circle, between 1882 and 1888.

QSP-1040h is a French-type cancel, a small single circle with a small star between parentheses below. Dates found for 1885 until 1893.

CC BY-SA

Die Pfarrei São João Baptista de Queluz wurde 1803 am Ufer des Paraíba-Flusses im Bezirk Lorena am Rande der Provinz São Paulo errichtet. Das Postamt (laut Nova Monteiro: Administrações e Agências Postais do Brasil Império 1798-1869, Brasil Filatélico 1834-5, Nachdruck SPP, 1994-99) ist aus dem Jahr 1840, zwei Jahre bevor aus Queluz eine Villa wurde. Es folgte eine Periode der wirtschaftlichen Stagnation, bis 1874 der Bahnbetrieb der Estrada de Ferro D. Pedro II nach Queluz anfing.

Obwohl es eine zweite wichtige Queluz in der kaiserlichen Provinz Minas Gerais gab, hatte die paulista Queluz mindestens fünf leicht verschiedene Abstempelungen in ihrer frühen Postzeit, alle in schwarz. Diese Stempel wurden wohl per Hand angefertigt und zeigen den Ortsnamen innerhalb eines schmalen Vierecks.

In QSP-1040a heißt es lediglich “S.J. DE QUELUS”; QSP-1040b hat dagegen “S.J.DEQUELLUS” und wurde in 1840 verwendet; QSP-1040c zeigt “V. DE S. J DEQUELLUZ” und kann für 1842 nachgewiesen werden; es folgt QSP-1040d mit “V.D.S.J.D.QUELLUZ”, gefunden in 1843 und 1844; und zuletzt QSP-1040e bringt noch eine Variante mit “V.S.J.DEQUELLUZ”.

Die vier letzten Abstempelungen wurden von Karlheinz Wittig während der BRASILIANA 83-Philatelieausstellung in Rio de Janeiro entdeckt. Bei einem Besuch im Museu Nacional fielen ihm die Stempel auf Briefen aus Queluz auf. Wittig berichtete dem brasilianischen Händler und Katalogverleger Rolf H. Meyer darüber. Dieser, nachdem er sich die Exponate angeschaut hatte, wies seinen Sohn Peter an, die Stempel abzuzeichnen. Das Museu Nacional brannte in September 2019 aus, und mit ihm auch die Queluz-Originalbriefe.

QSP-1040f wurde bereits durch Paulo Ayres (Nr. 1589) erfasst. Er wurde von ca. 1850 bis ca. 1870 benutzt.

QSP-1040f – P.A. 1589

QSP-1040g hat auch einen Doppelkreis, nun mit QUELUZ (oben) und einer waagerechten Raute (unten); diese wird durch vier kleinere Rauten gebildet. Die Daten im Innenkreis stammen aus den Jahren 1882 bis 1888.

QSP-1040h ist ein “französischer” Stempel, also mit einem kleinen Kreis und dem typischen Stern (in Klammern) unten. Nachgewiesen zwischen 1885 und 1893.